Halo Wars

The only way I've seen it destroyed was via the MAC rounds.
Perhaps you haven't upgraded them enough yet.

I haven't ran into a scarab yet in Skirmish palying as the USNC. How did you get to fight one?

The funny thing is that if you haven't read the Halo novels, the MAC rounds would kind of seem out of place for a Halo game. I can't recall it ever being mentioned in the previous games.

In Halo 2, the first level of the game takes place aboard a Super MAC called Cairo Station which acts as an orbital defense platform of which some ~300(?) orbit Earth. At the end of the level Tasavo Highway in Halo 3, you see several smaller class UNSC ships engage Truth's ship using their MAC cannons. In fact, from what I understand the mangnetic accelerator cannon is the primary weapon of the UNSC.

It was also mentioned very briefly at the beginning of Halo CE when Cortana mentions on the bridge with Captain Keyes that the MAC is offline. :)

I haven't ran into a scarab yet in Skirmish palying as the USNC. How did you get to fight one?

Don't know. I was attacking the Covenant base (and winning, I think) and that bastard just showed up and terminated the conflict.

I spent a fair amount of time building up my forces and researching tech before I attacked, so maybe I gave them enough time to build one?

I see that it was mentioned, it just was never really explained to the average HALO player.

I hope that the game expands on the fiction somehow and is eventually carried on to a novel adaptation. I've enjoyed them all other than "The Flood".

BADTB25 it was alluded to in Halo 1, played a significant role in the 1st level of Halo 2 and is regularly mentioned in all the books.

So if you find the MAC gun new, I think it's more of you (and most gamers) not paying close enough attention to the story & dialogue in the games and the novels than anything else on Bungie's part (nor is it their responsiblity that all Halo players should know trivial information from the universe)

Certainly what the MAC gun was abundantly clear to me, and I've only read two Halo novels.

Anyway, has anyone played skirmish mode a few times now with both races, and would care to enlighten us on how the balance model works? (if they are familiar with that sort of stuff, eg. are Warcraft, SC etc players)

My original post is says that if you haven't read the novels.

It may have been alluded to in the games, but I do not think that most people that have played the games only have a understanding of the MAC.

I suppose, you are right because I do not remember it really having a role in the previous Halo games and I generally remember the broad stories and not so much the specifics. I sometimes go back and view sites like Ascendant Justice (I think) that interpret some of the scenes of the game and realize just how much I miss.

My point was that games like this and Recon are a good way to expand on some of the fiction of the universe (for those that haen't read the books).

It'll be a bit of egg on Microsoft's face if Halo Wars ends up breaking X360 sales records (extremely doubtful, but you never know).

I'm still surprised that Halo Wars was downloaded as much as it was. Even considering the Halo brand, that's an awful lot of downloads.

I still can't believe MS dissolved Ensemble Studios. That would be like if suddenly you woke one day and Blizzard announced they were closing their doors.

Regards,
SB

Being a big Warcraft 3 fan (and later a DOTA addict :() I'm shocked at how well the controls translated to the gamepad. They won't allowed the high level of APM and micro that elite players are used on the PC but for the rest of us, they should serve quite well. Certainly looking forward to my first RTS on a console. Oh and those cutscenes are amazing!

I still can't believe MS dissolved Ensemble Studios. That would be like if suddenly you woke one day and Blizzard announced they were closing their doors.

Well, they're ending up with two smaller studios out of the ashes of Ensemble, so let's wait and see how fruitful this restructuring turns out to be.

Being a big Warcraft 3 fan (and later a DOTA addict :() I'm shocked at how well the controls translated to the gamepad. They won't allowed the high level of APM and micro that elite players are used on the PC but for the rest of us, they should serve quite well. Certainly looking forward to my first RTS on a console. Oh and those cutscenes are amazing!
It's clear that the control feels good and that I liked for a while the demo but I feel like there is something missing to the game. The game clearly miss depth in regard to gameplay mechanic.
I'm not a RTS connoisseur, at first I had fun with the campaign I never played a Halo games and it's a great introduction to the ambience actually. Here not much complains.
Then I tried the skirmish mode, same here at first fun easy going controls, shortly I was pretty happy with the game mechanic... at first. Basically I started by creating/gathering as much resources as possible while updating critic technologies and keeping my "defensive towers" (I don't know the proper english name but every fortress has four) as advanced as possible and with time adapting to encounter(game AI) development. The I create the most potent unit and go crush the encounter. Fun at first as the game "feels" good.
At some point I got bored and tried to be more sneakier/faster.
I like the convenants and I decided to make the most of special units/stealthy ones.
First I planed to go against a still underdeveloped base, I had something like 7/8 characters. I splitted them in two, enabled "camouflage" and I went for the defensive towers first using a attack/retreat pattern and then took the base easilly with really few (if any) causalities.
Then I thank it might be fun to go as early as possible try to take a "potent" base so I created <20 units and move to the base planning to split them closer to the base... How wrong... On my way I faced some tanks and others vehicules, I had well enough brute force to kill them and did but it proved impossible to organize my units on the flight. The Ai proved to be messy while dealing with +20units there was basically groups of 3/4 focusing on a given tanks and the others messing around/getting shot. I tried to grap some and reaffect them but as the vehicule were sometime moving and so my troup it proved inefficient.
I suffered way too much causalities too the point I think I had to retreat.
During this time the human managed to counter attack with huge spaceship and I got killed! Damned at normal difficulty it's the only time I died.
I will have other tries but I think that there is something missing in the way you manage your troups and it's clearly sad especcially if you consider how good the controls feels.
Clearly I think the controls may have support more complexity and it could have allow to greatly improve the gamer control on the game. The two left triggers are not that useful and should have been affected to other functions imho. One function comes clearly in mind and would helps so greatly in regard to the game mechanic:
The right trigers allow you to select all units in sight and to between your different type of units, the tiny left triger should allow to split a given type of selected units into 2,3,4,x groups accordingly with the number of time you type.

I'll play again with the demo but I think it won't be for me as there is not much to dig.

I like the game, fairly impressed.. I hope the retail version is more extensive and elaborate (which I assume it will be, mind you).

However:

I'm not in the slightest pleased with the audio. The Elites do not sound like Elites, marines sound generic.. Prophet of Truth just got a 3rd voice actor... lol..

Also, the textures are kinda bad in alot of places (noticeably on the primary Covenant structure when it explodes).

Is this an issue exclusive to the demo?

I finally got the demo, was quite surprised at how good the game turned out to be.
Was expecting it to be little more than marketing exercise, but I should not have underestimated Ensemble.

Firstly the graphics are great, any idea what its running at? 720p any AA?
(I think it's 720p no AA).
They've captured the feel of the Halo universe spot on, from the design of the units/structures, the animation, the sounds, to the way the warthog's drive, with great explosions, and weapon effects, just like Halo 3 did.
And the terrain rendering system is truly impressive, I think it's the best looking console RTS.

The cutscenes are also fantastic, their redesign of the Elites, looks far more menacing than they do in Halo 3.( I wonder how much disk space the HD cutscenes take up)

The controls are also very good, very intuitive and make the game a breeze to play. While still retaining enough depth for advanced tactics (ie. the hidden move order queing method, a cover system, secondary attacks & abilities etc.). The streamlined base building also helps immensely (thank god you don't have to build houses or supply depots like AOE or SC).

I am also glad that they chose to implement the 'leader' subfactions, which helps address the issue of having only 2 playable factions. The Covenant and the UNSC play just different enough from each other to keep things interesting too.

And the borrowing of concepts from Warcraft 3, such as neutral units, and structures which can be captured for tactical advantage adds an other element to Halo Wars very fast, offense based gameplay.

The only thing I didn't like was the unit cap, which is only 40 or 50, is this just for the demo?

And it would have been great if they had local coop either splitscreen or on the same screen (Viva Pinata style).

That my friend who is a diehard strategy nut - Total War, C&C, Company of Heroes, World in Conflict etc, was genuinely impressed (and will buy) a console RTS, shows just what an achievement Ensemble have produced.

It is a fitting swansong from a great studio, one that truly left it's mark on the genre.

I played some of the demo last night, despite my unlike of the Halo universe and lore the game looks well done, great cut scenes. I have not really enjoyed a RTS since the DOS days though. It still feels like you are watching a game and not playing one. I wish you could take control of a single unit in 1st/3rd person for a fight, just to feel involved for a moment.

I played some of the demo last night, despite my unlike of the Halo universe and lore the game looks well done, great cut scenes. I have not really enjoyed a RTS since the DOS days though. It still feels like you are watching a game and not playing one. I wish you could take control of a single unit in 1st/3rd person for a fight, just to feel involved for a moment.

Just like Battlezone? I absolutely loved Battlezone!! If it had that, I might have actually bought it new instead of waiting for a cheap used copy.

Tommy McClain

Nope, haven't picked it up, and I don't intend to do so in the near future. :p The demo had some cool moments, but I just could not get attuned to the controls; I'm sure it's because I've played RTS so much on PC that it's just harder to learn me some new tricks.

I may pick up the soundtrack at some point though. I really dig the Spirit of Fire theme.

I know someone in Halo 3 party has it.

I liked it enough to want to play more. They had the limited edition here.

I was tempted because it included the Mythic map pack (LE only) which I'm sure Joshua will convince us to get anyway:smile:

I'm also drawn to most things Halo even though I'm about average in the games.
It's $79.99...not sure if the LE is worth $20.00 more than the SE.

Who am I kidding? I will probably pick it up tomorrow (sucker on forehead)

Back