Halo: Reach

Texture pop up was really bad during cut scenes in Halo 2, but other than that it looked better than the first game. Especially effects like the plasma grenade explosion looked exponentially better. The real time cut scenes actually were mind bogglingly good looking even with the pop up issue, really pushing the machine to it's limits and over.

Yeah, actually Halo's cutscenes have always been very good for their time, with only a few exceptions. Good writing and direction, cinematic camera work, and of course all the music in Halo is really cool.

The animation is a different issue, Bungie's been proud of not using any mocap, but manually animating human characters is always a big challenge. Sometimes they do well, but sometimes they really fail. Getting Chief to run in the cutscenes hasn't worked in any of the games...

Texture pop up was really bad during cut scenes in Halo 2, but other than that it looked better than the first game. Especially effects like the plasma grenade explosion looked exponentially better. The real time cut scenes actually were mind bogglingly good looking even with the pop up issue, really pushing the machine to it's limits and over.

Never see what so amazing about the cut scenes in Halo 2.. Still, I say Halo: CE is the overall more impressive game, tech wise - huge environment, lots of bump mapping, have very consistent textures quality compare to it sequels etc...

There are games out there that really push the Xbox, but Halo 2 definitely isn't one of them IMO..

Never see what so amazing about the cut scenes in Halo 2.. Still, I say Halo: CE is the overall more impressive game, tech wise - huge environment, lots of bump mapping, have very consistent textures quality compare to it sequels etc...

There are games out there that really push the Xbox, but Halo 2 definitely isn't one of them IMO..

Dude, give it up already. Halo 2 was technically amazing for its time.

Be glad to Shifty:smile:

For me It seems like Halo 2 has MUCH lower poly count than Halo: CE. The game textures quality are also very inconsistent compare to Halo: CE - sometimes they look pretty nice, other time they look very muddy and low-res - just play some of the Arbiter levels for example, they all have very dark and muddy textures compare to the Chief levels. Not to mention many of the textures pop-in issues that H2 has. The entire game feel very unpolished. None of these issue exist in Halo: CE.

Now I'm sure that Reach will be a decent looking game, but I highly doubt that it'll look better than Halo 3 - consider Bungie history.

Obviously you are wrong again considering that the gun models alone in Reach look significantly better then they do in Halo 3.So, logically speaking, the game overall, will be a big graphical improvement over Halo 3.

How about we move on from graphics... too little information ( and too early a stage as Laa-Yosh noted)...

Halo 3 was the only reason I bought an Xbox 360, being a complete convert to the original Halo CE. And whilst it (H3) was comparable, in terms of game play, to H1 it wasn't the major step forward in terms of GFX I expected. Luckily it moved away from the mistakes they made with the weapons balancing and other things in H2. I wasn't that taken by Halo 3 at the end of the day.

I just hope that H1>H3>H4 in terms of game play. I have since got more into GoW 1&2 and Halo has fallen by the wayside. And since then I've met up with Resistance, Killzone, and Uncharted. They are all bar setting games and I find myself not getting that excited at the prospect of yet another Halo game.

Halo 3 was the only reason I bought an Xbox 360, being a complete convert to the original Halo CE. And whilst it (H3) was comparable, in terms of game play, to H1 it wasn't the major step forward in terms of GFX I expected. Luckily it moved away from the mistakes they made with the weapons balancing and other things in H2. I wasn't that taken by Halo 3 at the end of the day.

I just hope that H1>H3>H4 in terms of game play. I have since got more into GoW 1&2 and Halo has fallen by the wayside. And since then I've met up with Resistance, Killzone, and Uncharted. They are all bar setting games and I find myself not getting that excited at the prospect of yet another Halo game.

I respectfully disagree about the Resistance series being better then the Halo games.I think that the secondary fire functions for the weapons in that series is nice but other then that.I feel that Halo gameplay wise is the vastly superior game in my humble opinion.Also, since you are not excited about another Halo game then it makes no sense as to why you are posting in a Halo related like this one.

I respectfully disagree about the Resistance series being better then the Halo games.I think that the secondary fire functions for the weapons in that series is nice but other then that.I feel that Halo gameplay wise is the vastly superior game in my humble opinion.

I didn't say it was better, I just said it was a bar setter like KZ2 and UC2. There was just something missing from H3 that made it reach out and grab me like those games have.

Also, since you are not excited about another Halo game then it makes no sense as to why you are posting in a Halo related like this one.

I said I wasn't excited, I never said I wasn't interested. I'm not going to bother with ODST or whatever but I am interested in seeing what happens to MC. It's just that after H3 I find little reason to get excited with a new installment. I realise that you are jumping for joy and already have, in your mind, labeled it as the game with the best graphics ever and that it's going to be far ahead of everything ever made. I just think that the topology of the market has changed, we have MW 1&2, GoW 1&2, UC 1&2, R 1&2, and KZ 2 (I'll leave 1 out, it was cool but, IMO, Project Snowblind was better... and Black for that matter?).

There's competition where there was none before and all of it is quality. I hope, I really do, that it has that original H1 pulling power because that would be cool. I'd be buying it straight away. But Bungie are in a different place, and the market is so different, that I have doubts.

I didn't say it was better, I just said it was a bar setter like KZ2 and UC2. There was just something missing from H3 that made it reach out and grab me like those games have.

I said I wasn't excited, I never said I wasn't interested. I'm not going to bother with ODST or whatever but I am interested in seeing what happens to MC. It's just that after H3 I find little reason to get excited with a new installment. I realise that you are jumping for joy and already have, in your mind, labeled it as the game with the best graphics ever and that it's going to be far ahead of everything ever made. I just think that the topology of the market has changed, we have MW 1&2, GoW 1&2, UC 1&2, R 1&2, and KZ 2 (I'll leave 1 out, it was cool but, IMO, Project Snowblind was better... and Black for that matter?).

There's competition where there was none before and all of it is quality. I hope, I really do, that it has that original H1 pulling power because that would be cool. I'd be buying it straight away. But Bungie are in a different place, and the market is so different, that I have doubts.

I never said that Reach is going to have the best graphics ever and as no game ever truly has that moniker because eventually, something will surpass it in graphical fidelity.Killzone 1 was garbage but KZ2 is a solid game and I like it.But the series as a whole is nowhere near the quality of the Halo series in general.

MW1 and MW2 are good games but I know that Halo 3 easily holds its own against those games because the multiplayer in H3 is simply very very well done with great to good map design, balanced weaponry, varied gametypes and that is the main reason why Halo 3 is consistently the most played game on Xbox Live.It is very silly of you to compare the Uncharted series which had no multiplayer in the original to the Halo series that had a mp component since Halo Combat Evolved.

I have never considered the Resistance series to be competition against the Halo series as the Halo games are leagues ahead in overall quality.The only thing I liked about the Resistance series is the nice secondary fire functions and the weapons wheel.

This is turning into too much of a "versus" thread.

Everyone with "PS..." in their name (and hearts) should really just move along. Nothing about Halo will ever impress you, except perhaps a multiplatform announcement.

This is turning into too much of a "versus" thread.

Everyone with "PS..." in their name (and hearts) should really just move along. Nothing about Halo will ever impress you, except perhaps a multiplatform announcement.

Well said and Let's get this thread discussion back on track by actually talking about Halo Reach.Now, let's have a talk about the melee aspects of Halo Reach . I really enjoy the melee in Halo 3 but im dying to see a more dynamic range of melee attacks in Reach as it should reflect on the great close quarters fighting prowess of the Spartans..

I really can't get behind the "class based" gameplay ideas, because for me, Halo has always been about me versus everything and everyone else. Sort of like Neo versus the security guards in the Matrix movies. All class based gameplay does is force teamwork, which is pretty much nonexistant if you play online by yourself. I'd rather just have uber powerful weapons so I can go it alone if I want. Besides, "lone wolf" friendly gameplay doesn't at all preclude teamwork, it just doesn't require it. An organized team will almost always defeat a team of lone wolfs anyhow. Forced teamwork tends to make playing with random people just a miserably frustrating experience.

However, melée upgrades do sound interesting. Perhaps the "combo melée" they talked about before H2 was released? It would be kind of cool if the Spartan had a series if "fatality" melees, but I doubt MS would go for it due to ESRB ratings concerns.

I really can't get behind the "class based" gameplay ideas, because for me, Halo has always been about me versus everything and everyone else. Sort of like Neo versus the security guards in the Matrix movies. All class based gameplay does is force teamwork, which is pretty much nonexistant if you play online by yourself. I'd rather just have uber powerful weapons so I can go it alone if I want. Besides, "lone wolf" friendly gameplay doesn't at all preclude teamwork, it just doesn't require it. An organized team will almost always defeat a team of lone wolfs anyhow. Forced teamwork tends to make playing with random people just a miserably frustrating experience.

However, melée upgrades do sound interesting. Perhaps the "combo melée" they talked about before H2 was released? It would be kind of cool if the Spartan had a series if "fatality" melees, but I doubt MS would go for it due to ESRB ratings concerns.

It would be cool as it would make the melee more dynamic and deadly.Honestly, I wouldn't see why MS would have a problem with it, considering they let Gears of War have very violent gore and it never prevented the series from selling millions of copies worldwide.Personally, I'd love to see gore implemented because in the Halo books, the Needler would rip apart an oppponents insides and there is guts flying all over the place.Don't get me wrong, I don't over the top gore just for the sake of it.I want realistic gore because if I shoot you with a rocket launcher, I want to see you turn into a bunch of tiny pieces of flesh..Because in real-life, a rocket launcher blast would completely decimate a person..

It would be cool as it would make the melee more dynamic and deadly.Honestly, I wouldn't see why MS would have a problem with it, considering they let Gears of War have very violent gore and it never prevented the series from selling millions of copies worldwide.Personally, I'd love to see gore implemented because in the Halo books, the Needler would rip apart an oppponents insides and there is guts flying all over the place.Don't get me wrong, I don't over the top gore just for the sake of it.I want realistic gore because if I shoot you with a rocket launcher, I want to see you turn into a bunch of tiny pieces of flesh..Because in real-life, a rocket launcher blast would completely decimate a person..

I second this, Halo has become a tame, PG-13 game.
Halo 1 was M rated (like Gears) and had bucketloads of blood (343 Guilty Spark level, anyone?) they should get back to their roots.

I second this, Halo has become a tame, PG-13 game.
Halo 1 was M rated (like Gears) and had bucketloads of blood (343 Guilty Spark level, anyone?) they should get back to their roots.

In Halo 1, when you stuck an Elite with a plasma grenade, their arm's would get blown off.Back then, When I saw it, I believed it was a pretty cool litte touch.Judging from the off-screen shots of Reach the game is obviously going for a much darker and serious tone and im very happy for that.

In Halo 1, when you stuck an Elite with a plasma grenade, their arm's would get blown off.Back then, When I saw it, I believed it was a pretty cool litte touch.Judging from the off-screen shots of Reach the game is obviously going for a much darker and serious tone and im very happy for that.

Not sure you can infer the "tone" for reach from those shots to be fair... the lighting enginer seems to me to be heavily updated giving a much more realistic look to the game. However the Halo series has been well known for it's excellent use of colour in a genre that is very much known for it's "greys & browns".

I'm not sure as well that Microsoft will want to exclude the mass millions of young players who bought and played H2&3 by slapping reach with an M rating, simply because Halo CE had an M rating (it also didn't sell as much at the subsequent games).

Considering this will likely be Bungie's last Halo, and the next BIG Halo game in the series since H3, I'm quite sure that MS would be looking to capture as much of the Halo-loving installed base as possible. An "M" rating on reach would be a mistake from a business perspective IMHO.

You can have a mature game that isn't M and isn't a bloody-gorefest like Gears ... Blood != Mature!

Back