Halo: Reach

Those obviously aren't finished levels. You really don't know how it goes with game development? Build it as simple as possible, playtest the hell out of it, then when it works, bring in the artists to make it look good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those obviously aren't finished levels. You really don't know how it goes with game development? Build it as simple as possible, playtest the hell out of it, then when it works, bring in the artists to make it look good.

Good morning Laa..Just wondering, what do you think about my idea suggests for Halo Reach mp?I'd like to know...

It already looks cleaner than Halo 3 and I love the weapon detail and lighting
11537_324538465726_540780726_9649592_5890119_n.jpg

Some of the pics remind me of Perfect Dark Zero for some reason:
11537_324540340726_540780726_9649607_2929752_n.jpg

11537_324580745726_540780726_9650148_6957784_n.jpg

That first pic is obviously taking place in space as that Spartan could be on a space station of some sort.Secondly, the weapon looks like an even more deadlier version of the Spartan Laser.So, what do you guys think about Bungie hiring some Naughty Dog employees to help with the animations and texturing for Halo Reach?

Halo 2 looks worse than Halo: CE
Halo ODST looks pretty much the same as Halo 3
What you written here is very subjective, with unsubstantiated, broad criticisms. If you want people to take you seriously, you need to explain how H2 looks worse than H1, etc. Certainly coments like "The guns model are nice (though barely better than Halo 3)" sound quite negative and yet could be exceptionally positive. If I think H3 guns are the best models in the woeld (and what exactly is the criteria for good looking guns? I'd have thought that'd be mostly a matter of personal preference) then I woudn't expect Reach to surpass them. I wouldn't expect them to tamper with the designs either.

We'd much prefer an objective criticism or where the current build is lacking.

So, what do you guys think about Bungie hiring some Naughty Dog employees to help with the animations and texturing for Halo Reach?
Did they? Is there a link earlier, or can you provide one? Are we looking to U2 style motion blending in Reach? I hope so, because I do like the natural feel of Uncharted and it should become a common standard in animation IMO. I'm not quite sure what ND can offer regards texturing expertise, unless they're being hired as top artists rather than technical gurus. Or are they hoping for an ND-style textures treaming engine type thingy, with a view to getting U2 style fidelity in Reach?

Did they? Is there a link earlier, or can you provide one? Are we looking to U2 style motion blending in Reach? I hope so, because I do like the natural feel of Uncharted and it should become a common standard in animation IMO. I'm not quite sure what ND can offer regards texturing expertise, unless they're being hired as top artists rather than technical gurus. Or are they hoping for an ND-style textures treaming engine type thingy, with a view to getting U2 style fidelity in Reach?

Give me a minute Shifty and I will provide you with the link.I think Bungie already has good texture artists as I believe its more about an ND style textures streaming engine type of thing.I agree that UC has excellent animations and an UC like blending animation system for Halo Reach would do wonders for the game.

IIRC, it was the lead/senior environment artist. Not sure about it being more than him.

edit:

"newbies"
Rob Adams - Senior Environment, formerly Naughty Dog...
Steve Theodore - Technical Art Director, formerly Team Fortress 2...
Richard Lico - animation lead & co-combat designer for Condemned 1&2...

and... too busy at the moment to do more searching.

IIRC, it was the lead/senior environment artist. Not sure about it being more than him.

edit:

"newbies"
Rob Adams - Senior Environment, formerly Naughty Dog...
Steve Theodore - Technical Art Director, formerly Team Fortress 2...
Richard Lico - animation lead & co-combat designer for Condemned 1&2...

and... too busy at the moment to do more searching.

Nice list by the way...Some poster over at Teamxbox mentioned that Bungie hired a former texture engineer who worked on Uncharted 1, along with another dude who did the animations..I would do a thorough search but im honestly to tired to do so..

Shading is very, very very, very awesome. At least on the gun models.

Self-shadowing seems to be quite impressive too, but that could be the blurrycam effect. I suspect that they're either using pre-baked lightmaps (Beast) or SSAO downright. ( D: )

8xj1vq.jpg

11537_324538465726_540780726_9649592_5890119_n.jpg

psman said:
Judging by those screens the game(so far) look mightily unimpressive.. The guns model are nice (though barely better than Halo 3), but the rest are just average - flat textures, boring environment, poor lighting etc..

Consider Bungie history with the previous Halo games, I wouldn't be surprise at all if this game end up look the same as or worse than Halo 3

Halo 2 looks worse than Halo: CE
Halo ODST looks pretty much the same as Halo 3

and so on..
Halo ODST looks pretty much the same as Halo 3, because it's pretty much an expansion pack. Are you really making judgments on lighting from these tiny blurry off-screen photos? It almost seems like you'd prefer the game to look worse than Halo 3.

That first pic is obviously taking place in space as that Spartan could be on a space station of some sort.Secondly, the weapon looks like an even more deadlier version of the Spartan Laser.So, what do you guys think about Bungie hiring some Naughty Dog employees to help with the animations and texturing for Halo Reach?

I dont like Uncharteds animation..at least it always struck me as a bit awkward.

http://i33.tinypic.com/8xj1vq.jpg
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto..._324538465726_540780726_9649592_5890119_n.jpg

Halo ODST looks pretty much the same as Halo 3, because it's pretty much an expansion pack. Are you really making judgments on lighting from these tiny blurry off-screen photos? It almost seems like you'd prefer the game to look worse than Halo 3.

Even though the Reach pics are blurry, its still obviously clear that the gun model details and shading look significantly better then they do in Halo 3.And that is pretty impressive since the Reach stuff we are seeing is from an early version of the game.Sadly, PSman's agenda is to downplay the quite apparent big graphical strides in the gun model detail and shading, while proclaiming that Reach will look the same or worse then Halo 3.

I dont like Uncharteds animation..at least it always struck me as a bit awkward.

Even so, animation is something that almost can only go upward in Reach.

Per the "Hiring ND guys" -- developers do move on to new studios and projects. Big, successful studios with a lot of talent tend to attract more talent.

I was about to post about the animation. I would also like to see new enemies.

edit: also the story needs to be better told I still don't understand the storyline past the first Halo...got lost after that.

What you written here is very subjective, with unsubstantiated, broad criticisms. If you want people to take you seriously, you need to explain how H2 looks worse than H1, etc. Certainly coments like "The guns model are nice (though barely better than Halo 3)" sound quite negative and yet could be exceptionally positive. If I think H3 guns are the best models in the woeld (and what exactly is the criteria for good looking guns? I'd have thought that'd be mostly a matter of personal preference) then I woudn't expect Reach to surpass them. I wouldn't expect them to tamper with the designs either.

We'd much prefer an objective criticism or where the current build is lacking.

Be glad to Shifty:smile:

For me It seems like Halo 2 has MUCH lower poly count than Halo: CE. The game textures quality are also very inconsistent compare to Halo: CE - sometimes they look pretty nice, other time they look very muddy and low-res - just play some of the Arbiter levels for example, they all have very dark and muddy textures compare to the Chief levels. Not to mention many of the textures pop-in issues that H2 has. The entire game feel very unpolished. None of these issue exist in Halo: CE.

Now I'm sure that Reach will be a decent looking game, but I highly doubt that it'll look better than Halo 3 - consider Bungie history.

You do realize Bungie had significant issues during development of Halo 2? You seriously believe they'll run into the same problems because of "history" ? :|

edit: referring to polish issue.

Back