Halo: Reach

She has certainly been involved in some visually stunning tech demos while at ATI, but it doesn't sound like she'll be that involved with Reach. Sounds like she'll be focusing on future technology research.

Focus, yes, but she still has some input on Reach..

Natalya Tartarchuk said:
A. I personally find both research and production aspects of my job rewarding. Currently I am focused on investigating next-gen technology, but I am also using some of my time to put in techniques into our upcoming game. Practically speaking, we will have phases where there is a stronger emphasis on coming up with ground-breaking techniques and there will be phases where the focus is on shipping – and that’s healthy and a good thing! It’s good to be grounded. However, even in the most development-oriented phase, there are plenty of challenging and interesting problems to be solved, so the fun doesn’t end in pre-production.

Yeah, I would go for NO visual improvements if we saw battles worthy of the title REACH. I want FireFight style "sandboxes" with Halo 3 AI--but with 100+ baddies on the field at any one time. Construct some nifty objective/check point battlefield schemas and make them replayable (ala MW2 Spec Ops) and you have gold.

If this is another "saving the world" from unbeatable odds full of 20-30 bad guy battles I will throw the controller!

I really hope we do get those epic battles from the Reach novel into the game as that would be gaming bliss.Im suprised Bungie is going to show us the opening of Reach at the Spike VGA's...Can't wait to see it in action...

I was just reading an interview on Bungie.net with one of their animators, and he mentioned the studio now has motion capture equipment. Hopefully, this means that Reach will have some better animations. Sweet.

Anybody watch today's preview of "The Package: Part 1"? It features Master Chief, must happen sometime before Combat Evolved, but does it happen before or during Reach? Either way, it's by far my favorite short so far.

Tommy McClain

Anybody watch today's preview of "The Package: Part 1"? It features Master Chief, must happen sometime before Combat Evolved, but does it happen before or during Reach? Either way, it's by far my favorite short so far.

Tommy McClain

Is this on live? Are any of the full shorts out?

Is this on live? Are any of the full shorts out?

It was. Halo Waypoint has been showing free previews of Halo Legends episodes on Saturdays. They are only available for 24 hours only. They have already shown "The Babysitter" & "The Duel". You might be able to find copies on YouTube though. I would keep checking Halo Waypoint for their schedule of content throughout the week, but next Saturday they will be showing part 2 of "The Package". It's the CGI anime episode.

Tommy McClain

Maybe not with all the profanity you can hear online ;)

Lol, I didn't think it was rated Mature too... very tame for a rated "M" game.

Either way I think it'd be strange to see a Halo game where characters are being blown into giblets... I'm not too sure i'd like that.
I would, considering the Halo books are full of gory descriptions. It'd be a nice change of pace.

Waypoint is interesting. There is a lot of foreshadowing about future Halo games there. For example, that piece on the "Battle Frame" and railgun tech makes me fairly certain Reach will have space battles, or atleast a zero-g space mission.

Keighley: Halo Reach will be a huge leap forward

At the VGAs, we actually go down on to the Planet Reach and see this game for the first time. It’s all going to be in-game stuff. This is not CG. This is not live-action like all the kids on twitter are speculating. You will get a first glimpse at the world of Reach, which is phenomenal. I think it’s going to be the biggest game of next year by far.

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-6894-Video-Game-News-Examiner~y2009m12d6-Keighley-Halo-Reach-will-be-a-huge-leap-forward

I just hope he's not talking out of his ***, I mean the 360 is certainly capable of more then ODST - but raising expectations too high could make some bad impressions.

I have little doubt it will look stunning, though how representative of the final game it will be is anyones guess. My guess: not very.

I have little doubt it will look stunning, though how representative of the final game it will be is anyones guess. My guess: not very.

Why not? Unlike previous Halo premiere trailers/demonstrations Reach is in a much further development state, so there's no reason to expect the final product's cinematics won't be of the same quality. This is afterall part of the opening cinematic and not some target trailer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not? Unlike previous Halo premiere trailers/demonstrations Reach is in a much further development state, so there's no reason to expect the final product's cinematics won't be of the same quality. This is afterall part of the opening cinematic and not some target trailer.

Yea sure, i do expect it to represent the final games opening cinematics, im just not sure how much the opening cinematics will show about the in-gameplay graphics ;)

This isnt something unique to Halo but to pretty much every game! What we all really want to see is true high quality gameplay footage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back