Halo: Reach

Can you please elaborate? I mean cg humans and their animations always look off (no exception).
But is there anything overly bad about the human heads in HALO3?

The human heads were very polygonal, looking square with flat sides, from what I can remember. I don't think he's complaining about creative design. The squareness of the human heads is hopefully not a creative choice ;)

The human heads were very polygonal, looking square with flat sides, from what I can remember. I don't think he's complaining about creative design. The squareness of the human heads is hopefully not a creative choice ;)

Very polygonal? Bungie used the sharp edges to cut my eyes and then the flat sides like a hammer to beat them to a pulp!

I got you, but I think you missed the satire, as in "very polygonal is an understatement dude, they cut my eyes!!" :p

I was looking for, "N64 Polygonal. So polygonal we reverted to counting vertexes instead of polygons. Very polygonal to the point of unipolygonal!"

If Billy didn't notice this he is one of the lucky ones :(

What I wanted to ask you: can you really classify 'good' and 'bad' art?
I mean (as you are the pro) are there widely accepted rules and fundamentals how things have to look to be 'good' art?

There are some general issues about all kinds of commercial graphics and any game asset can be evaluated based on these, yes. It is generally independent of the style used

These include stuff like anatomy, balance, harmony, silhouette (including negative space, ie. where you don't have stuff in the forms), colors, relation of low, mid and high frequency detail (both in textures and form) and so on.
There are both age-old 'rules' and new scientific research on composition, ideal anatomy, complementer colors, the golden mean. All these can and should be applied to everything, but one also needs to know how to use them. Sometimes we have to go against the rules to get the desired results, especially in game art when a level has to set the mood, a monster has to terrify or some NPC needs to be sympathetic. Unfortunately it's also quite common to overdo things, for example make every female person a playmate...

For example Uncharted's Emily was a welcome change with her almost everyday look... and I also kinda think that most of the characters in Gears (particularly the humans) are not as good as people usually believe, but the insane amount of well developed details still manages to sell them.

It's a bit hard to fully explain this, even harder to precisely define... a lot of how you evaluate artwork is based on experience. For the lack of a better word, the eye or the sight of someone has to be developed through years of practice to make it a conscious process, so that the person can actually use it as a skill.
Our art director with a traditional art background and over 10 years of previous experience in an ad agency can look at something and immediately tell what's good, and what needs to be changed and how to make it look better.
On the other hand the average person can never tell these things, not even the difference; but they still have an instinctive feel of the general quality.

I'm actually a firm believer that there's good and bad in terms of general quality in almost every kind of art. Some people wouldn't even consider talking about stuff like good pop or heavy metal music, or good popcorn movies, and so on... but I don't really think in terms of 'there's only high art' or whatever you'd like to call it.

So is your rating 'HALO3 artwork is weak' your personal subjective opinion or your opinion as a professional (maybe it is hard to answer as long as you are not schizophrenic :D)

There are objective issues with some of Halo's art assets in my opinion, as professional as it can be. For example practically everyone agrees that their human characters need work, but I would rather not get into more details about the rest, as it'd require far too many explanations ;)

As for Halo heads, it's not just a lack of polygons, but also a generally bad design with creepy facial features and blurry photo-textures.

Whereas Uncharted, that has some of the best looking characters IMHO, has nice, pleasing forms in the head scultps, with detailed painted textures. I mean this already looks good, without any textures and such, doesn't it?
normal_elena_zbrush1.jpg

Thanks for the answer! Very interesting. I did not know that one can qualify art even in a scientific way! Good to know...

Well, it's more about what we look for in a human face to find it beautiful, for example. Size and placement and relation of facial features, symmetry or lack of it, and so on.

It's also a good example of what can lead to abuse, just look at all the Photoshoped covergirls and movie stars...

As for Halo heads, it's not just a lack of polygons, but also a generally bad design with creepy facial features and blurry photo-textures.

Whereas Uncharted, that has some of the best looking characters IMHO, has nice, pleasing forms in the head scultps, with detailed painted textures. I mean this already looks good, without any textures and such, doesn't it?

Yeah, after you have mention it. Now if I think of it: it is not only her 'next door' anatomy but also the clothes she wears (jeans and shirt and not some lingerie with high heels ;)) which results in rather believable female character.

Halo gunplay, vehicles, and AI with classes, squads, and a sprint button? Sign me up! The only thing missing is confirmation of custom game browsers :smile:

What are others looking for in Reach?

I like the Halo gunplay and vehicles a lot so I want more of the same. The AI is good; I want to see "FireFight" sandboxes + more enemies more common (I like IW's take on coop missions for set pieces). I would enjoy squad/class based Halo-gameplay in LARGE battles with smoke and vehicles all over the place.

A custom game browser is a must.

Before Halo 3 was released I had written a bit about how I thought an offshoot with squad based gameplay, maybe even basic classes (maybe perks would work ala CoD4?) to emphasize the various Spartan skills, would be pretty awesome. Add a couple more dynamics, e.g. sprint and maybe some more worldly interaction and melee, mixed in with more of the same and it would be a pretty amazing package.

MP is going to be interesting in this one. Maybe we will get to play as dual plasma grenade terror grunts in FireFight, MP... or SP :p

There are objective issues with some of Halo's art assets in my opinion, as professional as it can be. For example practically everyone agrees that their human characters need work, but I would rather not get into more details about the rest, as it'd require far too many explanations ;)
Please do. We hear do much about the programming side, but not nearly enough about the artistic side (aside from what it costs to create assets).

I can think of a couple tangents this thread could take...

Any thoughts on how people would change the gunplay? Halo 3 is the best balanced short-medium-long range shooting game I have played (right there with CS imo) and the melee and nades are really, really well done, especially in context of vehicles.

My first tweak would be the BR/AR. I like the BR a lot, I wouldn't change a thing on it. I think a small boost to the AR may be in order for closer range combat (sub-15 meters).

I could think of other tweaks, but want to hear from others.

Oh, and deployables could get a little more interesting, if not strategically more significant--well suited for squad play. Resistance probably could be a good source of ideas for Covenant weapons. With no Flood (?) this could be an opportunity to introduce new Covenant factions or more nuances Covenant squad structures.

They could add sprint with a penalty. So your shields drain as you sprint, making it's use a bit more tactical.

My #1 desire for Reach is for the Scorpion's main gun to do more splash damage. I used to be a major tank ho in Halo CE, but the main gun's lack of splash damage in H2 and H3 meant that you needed to score a direct hit to kill anything. Kind of sucks when Spartan Laser dudes can nail you from practically anywhere, and you can't do anything about it.

See, I'm very easy to please. :)

They could add sprint with a penalty. So your shields drain as you sprint, making it's use a bit more tactical.

I had suggested long ago that while sprinting: No aiming/shooting + no shield recharging. Draining shields could be another option (or possibly put at a lower strength setting, etc). Adding no straifing while sprinting could also be a twist.

How melee and jumping interact with sprinting could be interesting (imagine the MC sprint side kick from the commercials).

Back