Halo: Reach

Watch out guys, it seems like the ending has been leaked on youtube as well - but considering how little we know about the actual story of Reach, almost anything can be a spoiler...

Why would he want to do that? It looks like he's going to let him play Reach illegally weeks before it's official release and not feel guilty about it because, ya know, it's not actually his Xbox and he didn't actually get the illegal copy.

NB I am being sarcastic.

Why?

I don't feel guilty about playing it early because I have my Halo Reach limited edition copy pre-ordered over a month ago and its paid in full as well.None of you guys can fault me for playing it early because Im actually supporting Bungie by buying the game on launch night.I have never owned a modded xbox 360 because I believe in supporting developers by buying they're games instead of illegally ripping a copy and playing it on a modded console.

Anyways, I'm only going to check it out firefight, mp and forge world and not touch the campaign at all.

Why would he want to do that? It looks like he's going to let him play Reach illegally weeks before it's official release and not feel guilty about it because, ya know, it's not actually his Xbox and he didn't actually get the illegal copy.

NB I am being sarcastic.

Why?

Who the heck are you to me like that??? I've never owned a modded console and never will because I believe in supporting developers by actually buying their games.For your information, I have my Reach limited edition copy paid off in full and will be attending the midnight launch party when it gets released.I see nothing wrong with me checking out the game a few weeks before launch especially considering the fact that im buying a legit retail copy of Reach when it comes out.

Not sure why some people get bent out of shape about it...

Last edited by a moderator:
So where are the differences to HALO 3 in your opinion?

I won't really dispute much of what you said seeing as how you already seem to have your mind made up. However could it be possible that the amount of jaggies seen could be from a poorly calibrated TV? I remember back when the first 360 kiosks were launched, many of the demos like Kameo looked jaggerific, but once the store clerk allowed us to calibrate the TV, it looked nice and sharp.

Who the heck are you to me like that??? I've never owned a modded console and never will because I believe in supporting developers by actually buying their games.For your information, I have my Reach limited edition copy paid off in full and will be attending the midnight launch party when it gets released.I see nothing wrong with me checking out the game a few weeks before launch especially considering the fact that im buying a legit retail copy of Reach when it comes out.

I don't believe people are getting bent out of shape on you about it, but instead your friend who chose to bootleg the game. Even though I'm no developer, I can see how people look down on those who would much rather DL a copy of a game instead of paying for it and reward the developers for their years of hard work.

I won't really dispute much of what you said seeing as how you already seem to have your mind made up. However could it be possible that the amount of jaggies seen could be from a poorly calibrated TV? I remember back when the first 360 kiosks were launched, many of the demos like Kameo looked jaggerific, but once the store clerk allowed us to calibrate the TV, it looked nice and sharp.

I don't believe people are getting bent out of shape on you about it, but instead your friend who chose to bootleg the game. Even though I'm no developer, I can see how people look down on those who would much rather DL a copy of a game instead of paying for it and reward the developers for their years of hard work.

My friend comes up with excuses as to why he stopped buying games and only downloads copies of them.He says games are too expensive and cannot afford to buy the newest games available.I told him that is a petty excuse because developers work alot of long hours in order to develop that game your playing only to have some douchebags download it for free without actually supporting the developer by buying the game,

He has tried to convince me to get my xbox 360 modded but I feel its not worth it because I play on xbox live alot and I also like buying my games to support the developer.He modded two separate xbox 360's and has gotten banned from xbox live 2 times because of doing so.

I don't feel guilty about playing it early because I have my Halo Reach limited edition copy pre-ordered over a month ago and its paid in full as well.None of you guys can fault me for playing it early because Im actually supporting Bungie by buying the game on launch night.I have never owned a modded xbox 360 because I believe in supporting developers by buying they're games instead of illegally ripping a copy and playing it on a modded console.

Anyways, I'm only going to check it out firefight, mp and forge world and not touch the campaign at all.

Not sure I deserved two replies, but what the heck. Good for you for buying the game. Wouldn't it be simpler to just not play the pirated version of the game in the first place? Why do you need to check it out anyway? Never mind - I'm not the internet police or anything. But do give your friend a kick in the nuts though. ;)

So where are the differences to HALO 3 in your opinion?
Particle effects, armor detail, animation, weapon detail, vehicle detail, and texture sharpness come to mind as being very obviously improved over H3. The resolution increase was also pretty noticeable to me, but I guess people have different expectations. Honestly, when I first saw Reach's graphics on my 58 inch plasma, "disappointing" wasn't the word that came to mind.

Firefight probably isn't the best mode to judge scope. You generally want smaller maps to keep the action intense.

I won't really dispute much of what you said seeing as how you already seem to have your mind made up.

I mean, this is nothing against you personally, but I wonder why I get so many negative vibes back?

In two days, I saw like 1 Gazillion games, typically with 10 min play time each. You typically were put right into the action and I tried to get as much gameplay experience as possible. Graphcis are just the immediate impression I get from what I see at the screen. Some graphics wowed me, some did not - I am expressing just my opinion here, not stating that it is the fundamental truth. Especially games where I had ultra high expectations (especially after following some impressions here on this forum) did sometime not manage to really convince me. Especially judging graphics of sequels, often I did not see a major difference...for instance HALO Reach. For the record (in before you guys start to run with the pack) I stated the same for Killzone 3, Motorstorm 3 and Infamous 2.

However could it be possible that the amount of jaggies seen could be from a poorly calibrated TV? I remember back when the first 360 kiosks were launched, many of the demos like Kameo looked jaggerific, but once the store clerk allowed us to calibrate the TV, it looked nice and sharp.

This is indeed something I wondered myself! This could very well be that the TVs where not good calibrated, but there was no chance to start calibrating them during the 10min Firefight demo...

I mean, this is nothing against you personally, but I wonder why I get so many negative vibes back?

In two days, I saw like 1 Gazillion games, typically with 10 min play time each. You typically were put right into the action and I tried to get as much gameplay experience as possible. Graphcis are just the immediate impression I get from what I see at the screen. Some graphics wowed me, some did not - I am expressing just my opinion here, not stating that it is the fundamental truth. Especially games where I had ultra high expectations (especially after following some impressions here on this forum) did sometime not manage to really convince me. Especially judging graphics of sequels, often I did not see a major difference...for instance HALO Reach. For the record (in before you guys start to run with the pack) I stated the same for Killzone 3, Motorstorm 3 and Infamous 2.

My comment wasn't meant to be taken negatively, sorry. However if you can't clearly see the difference between a game like Halo 3 and Reach then I'm not sure if any amount of explaining can change your mind. I have no problem with your opinion, as far as I'm concerned, you're entitled to think what you want.

NRP does have a point though that multiplayer modes like firefight probably aren't the best mode to judge the graphics on. IIRC Bungie tends to scale things back for MP for gameplay reasons. Even in the earlier days of the game's development seen in videos like Once More Unto The Breach, you can see a good jump up from Halo 3 when looking purely at the campaign.

Halo 3 is pretty old now. I think some people remember it looking a lot nicer than it actually looks. Having played it long after release, I thought sections of the game were pretty ugly. Halo Reach is not a particularly flashy title, but it is a significant improvement over Halo 3.

2 seconds into the campaign demo and the jump from Halo 3 is very obvious indeed. It's stuff like the mist/smoke, the new animation and the scope of that scene. There are clear differences in the look of the game with heavier motion blur and dynamic lights during fire fights. The lighting is still wonderful.

Also, the character models no longer look straight out of Halo 2.

2 seconds into the campaign demo and the jump from Halo 3 is very obvious indeed. It's stuff like the mist/smoke, the new animation and the scope of that scene. There are clear differences in the look of the game with heavier motion blur and dynamic lights during fire fights. The lighting is still wonderful.

Also, the character models no longer look straight out of Halo 2.

I played the first 3 levels of the campaign and the graphics look way better then Halo 3 does by far.All of the details simply "pop" out in great clarity and fidelity.Sometimes, I had to stop playing to marvel at how awesome the game looks.Yup, lighting is still top-notch and the atmosphere is very well done too..I managed to use the hologram armor ability and its alot of fun tricking an Elite into shooting your holographic self.

After playing it, my hype level has gone through the roof and cannot wait for launch night...

Even I have a friend who was playing this game today, I went to his house to meet him only to see that he was already playing this game...while I can't comment on how it plays cause I wasn't the one playing it, I can however tell 4 things:

1) It looks nice (though water effects & shading got a major downgrade)
2) Ghosting is still present
3) A lot of effects & physics (like foliage movement, sparks) run at half the refresh rate...this maybe bad/disorienting when mixed with ghosting and motion blur.
4) Framerate isn't so hot in a good few places.

14th sept can't come any sooner...I seriously can't wait to play 4 player online co-op in this game.

P.S.[Yes I did kick my friend...though not in his nuts :p]

The wait is killing me 3 weeks or so.
I have spoiled the beginning 15 min and the end 15 min feels shitty about it.
Come on bungie bring release 3 weeks forward.

3) A lot of effects & physics (like foliage movement, sparks) run at half the refresh rate...this maybe bad/disorienting when mixed with ghosting and motion blur.
Nothing like that was noticeable in the multiplayer beta, nor the bits of campaign I've seen.

Nothing like that was noticeable in the multiplayer beta, nor the bits of campaign I've seen.

I believe he is seeing things that aren't there, because from what I've seen, there is nothing running at half rate or whatever that means.:LOL::LOL::LOL:

a friend of mine this morning talked to me about missing shadows in the leaked version of the game.
he said that the rebel guy you encounter during the first 10-15 minutes of campaign gameplay had no shadow casted on the ground; yet you can see the same guy with his shadow in this video -> http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_halo_reach_gc_presentation_part_2-16674_en.html min. 4.58

maybe the leaked one is an older, and thus not as polished as the retail, build?

didn't notice, during the beta weeks, any physics running at half the framerate nor foliage movement; water on powerhouse and overlook looked beautiful

Back