Halo: Reach

Frankly speaking, iut has been the campaign trailers which have been wowing me. The new MP maps revealed do not seem to share the same polish as that map(whatisname) with Grass n wooden structures. That one map just Wows me completely, but the rest feel old and dated in terms of GFX. Campaign trailer, OTOH, impresses with amazing HDR lighting that dazzle anyone !

I'm very impressed with the visuals of the campaign as it looks amazing and the HDR lighting is simply a beautiful sight to behold.Saw video of a firefight map called Glacier and the graphics lookked fantastic on that one.Another level that happens on a rooftop also looks pretty darn good.

Well, the visuals in the Reach beta were miles ahead of Halo 3 IMO. I'm not at all concerned about Reach's graphics. I'm more interested in the gameplay and story, which hopefully won't blow.

Well, the visuals in the Reach beta were miles ahead of Halo 3 IMO. I'm not at all concerned about Reach's graphics. I'm more interested in the gameplay and story, which hopefully won't blow.

I want the campaign to surprise and wow me like Combat Evolved did.Even though Halo CE is 9 years old, I never get bored of playing the campaign on legendary..That is what I want Halo reach's campaign to achieve... :smile:

LOL :LOL: EPIC FAIL by MS on trying to prevent a leak of Reach by distributing the preview copies via XBL.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2368100,00.asp

The game might have a release date of September 14, but Microsoft decided to seed Halo: Reach over its Xbox Live service for reviewers to download—sticking the full game with a seemingly impossibly price tag of 9999 Microsoft points, or around $1,250 in real-world cash. The industrious modders over at GameTuts somehow found their way past the special download code one would have to type in to access and download the game and, as you might expect, they grabbed themselves a copy.

And funnily enoughunlike most other 360 leaks, which will only work on hacked 360s this will work on any 360, so it is quite hilariously ironic.
According to the post, GameTuts users have no intentions to release their acquisition before the game's official release date—allegedly, the acquired code has been signed by Microsoft and thus runs without issue on an unmodified Xbox 360 console.

Not entirely true.

The version floating around the pirate scene is redistributed from the original GOD/DLC and will ONLY work on JTAG'd consoles. This is because it's in a DLC/GOD (Games on Demand) package and all GOD/DLC is digitially signed to be tied to that specific console. The reason the version they have works on their console is because they got the DLC on theirs.

Hot damn,
those farmers are hungarian :) Then again it's no surprise after seeing that the moons of Reach are called Csodaszarvas and Turul. Still don't know why Bungie went all-out hungarian here but it certainly is funny :)

Game looks awesome BTW

Not entirely true.

The version floating around the pirate scene is redistributed from the original GOD/DLC and will ONLY work on JTAG'd consoles. This is because it's in a DLC/GOD (Games on Demand) package and all GOD/DLC is digitially signed to be tied to that specific console. The reason the version they have works on their console is because they got the DLC on theirs.

My friend has a JTAG'd xbox 360 who actually downloaded Halo Reach earlier today.He's going to lend me his 360 so I can play Reach the whole week.As far as the campaigns visuals go, he stated that it looks way better then Halo 3 does by far.

My friend has a JTAG'd xbox 360 who actually downloaded Halo Reach earlier today.He's going to lend me his 360 so I can play Reach the whole week.As far as the campaigns visuals go, he stated that it looks way better then Halo 3 does by far.

Next time you see your friend, give him a kick in the nuts for me.

Knock knock......
Who's there?
A wild Microsoft ninja appears.

Pity it won't work with regular 360s.

Oh and after watching that campaign intro movie, Reach's graphics clearly are much better than Halo 3, no comparison, the scenery and character detail almost remind me of Gears except with the Halo aesthethic. Really like the weapon and particle effects, especially how all the plasma bolts cast light now. And wow at the elites, they really are agile.

There are still some differences from the original scene in the VGA trailer though, the armor shaders and lighting seem to have been pared back somewhat.

Has any new features come to light from the leak? ie. new game modes, armor abilities, weapons, vehicles etc?

Another thing- I thought all the human weapons in Reach (aside from the RL) were hitscan? Because in the Firefight 2 video, the one with sniper starts, I saw a lot of Halo 3 style sniper ricochets, which wouldn't be possible with hitscan correct?

Last edited by a moderator:

So where are the differences to HALO 3 in your opinion?

I remember that the weapon models looked rather good for instance, I could not check out the models of the enemies, as I typically killed them far away and we where constantly attacked.

The animations of the enemies did not look extraordinary as well, although some of the more advanced foes used kind of cool dodging maneuvers.

The map we played did not look special either with all the greenery and gras around. I did not had the feeling that the scope was extremely large, I had rather the opposite feeling: the enemies spawned (actually the got dropped of by ships) in a rather narrow area.

The one thing that I did not liked: it looked kind of rough. If I would not know that it is indeed nearly full HD, I would have believed that it was sub HD (for the record: the same feeling as Crysis 2 Xbox 360 and Black Ops Xbox 360 and Infamous 2). And sometimes the aliasing was really bad. I remember that this map had kind of steal/concrete roofs, and those edges flickered as hell. So, as aliasing was basically the only complain I had in HALO3, I am kind of dissapointed that they did not improve much in this department...although rocks and other stuff did not have this issue, some stuff flickered heavily.

PS: It is really sad that this game already got pirated. If I think about the MS booth, and all the effort they put in to let people test HALO:Reach, give hints, discussing stuff with you if you ask them, having lots of displays so that the waiting time is acceptable....and of corse all the money the invested builoding a new engine - booo to all pirates!

Back