Halo Infinite [Fall 2021] [XO, XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

Official Box Art with Press Kit released...

halo_infinite_social_1920x1080-b703456310864665a8aaceb71e10020b.png

Tommy McClain

Damn a scale like that would be mind boggling.

Halo Infinite in 4K looks pretty good. The good is how large it is, there's never been a Halo game, or many games for that matter this detailed this large with this density. I haven't seen it. Not like this. The world is full. Compact, quite open world.

video here.

The bad:
Asset Quality, Shadows, Pop-in is super apparent. If I had to think of fixing anything, it would be shadows and pop-in. Pop-in first, then shadows.

Watched the official YouTube 4K trailer, and the LOD/Draw is quite terrible in many areas, even at a close distance (example: the shrubbery pop-in @2:55 is so damn obvious and immersion breaking). The graphics overall are crisp and clean, but nothing mind-blowing at the moment.

I've never been an halo fan, I've played some but it was like a tiring chore, and the graphic even if stylistically interesting looked empty and bland.
However I understand that there's a big fanbase that really appreciates it, just can't get why.
This one from what I've seen would have been disappointing even on the one x: low res textures, simple 3d models, popin, and the enemies still stand in front of you while you shoot them down like a carnival duck hunt game.
Can you explain to me what I'm missing?

I've never been an halo fan, I've played some but it was like a tiring chore, and the graphic even if stylistically interesting looked empty and bland.
However I understand that there's a big fanbase that really appreciates it, just can't get why.
This one from what I've seen would have been disappointing even on the one x: low res textures, simple 3d models, popin, and the enemies still stand in front of you while you shoot them down like a carnival duck hunt game.
Can you explain to me what I'm missing?
I guess Halo has always been this sort of open-world sandbox game. At least 1-3. And you sort of pick your weapons and approach the battle the way you want to. The game can range from extremely easy to extremely hard. And people that love FPS campaigns just love to play it on hard (legendary mode), because you sort of really need to control the environment to win those encounters, you can't possibly win by running and gunning.

For many people, Halo was the first online MP fps game. And it set game design for FPS games for quite a few titles. It's mainly based around the gun, grenade, and melee tri-fecta which they nailed and it became a staple of gameplay. Recharging without shields was also the Halo staple as well.

But I think when people think about awesome Halo, they think about big battles, vehicles etc. Just doing crazy stuff, flying off cliffs, sniping someone from way out there. I would say that for most of us that moved on from Halo, we moved to Battlefield.

But seeing this is a nice return to Halo. There were bigger problems to solve other than graphics, they needed to return to what makes Halo gameplay, Halo.

I think people are satisfied with the game play, at least what I can see on the hardcore Halo platforms, now there are concerns around graphics. Which is not as bad of a problem to have imo.

Last edited:
https://www.ign.com/articles/halo-i...iscover-places-to-explore-new-weapons-to-find

Wide Open Ring

Previous Halo games have had a sort of pseudo-openness to them. You could maybe find a skull tucked away behind an obscure pillar, or a terminal in a Covenant outpost, and Halo Infinite builds on those experiences.

"I would think about it more like kind of delivering on that promise we've had from the past," Lee said. "There's a lot of open gameplay in those previous games, but they're always in these linear levels. This time players will have the freedom to explore the ring. But we are telling a story with a beginning, middle, and end that we want to carry the player through as you go."

Back