Halo day! (Halo 3 new pic, open beta and teaser info)

some observations:

2:47 arms ripped off :D
2:51 the real banhammer
2:52 Terry Tate - 'nuff said :D
2:57 dual sword elite cuts off brute at the knees :love:
3:10 You can see the first person view for the assault rifle in the background.
4:04 group of brutes walking together. I think they look great despite the lack of textures *shrug* But yeah, feels like a high def Halo 2.
4:47 I guess they had those porta-weapon lockers for the covenant done since Halo CE. :LOL:
4:55 nice quick transition between no-texture and textured. I think it looks pretty sweet. Check out the face of the marine (gotta pause it). Brute also has a mini-Hunter shield attached to his arm.
5:07 lotta brutes in a tight quarters gun battle
5:17 brute...priest guy (I dunno what to call him) carrying that plasma cannon that the grunts used to place down on the ground in Halo 2.
5:22 what happened to the sword?!?!? it's got less poly's around the hilt area. It's not roundish like in halo 2 anymore. And the sad part is that it wasn't that round in halo 2.
5:30 hee hee grunts, more detail in the head area, hard to see much else. Coulda been Halo 2 body for all I know.
5:38 arbiter getting gang raped by 3 brutes in a corner. Looks like a washroom or prison area. :LOL: (he gets hit up in the air by some weird collision detection thing... you know the dilio.)
6:05 clearly the ai needs work if there are a bunch of brutes attacking one marine (who is retreating inside a building)
6:09 switch to shotgun from assault rifle. Shotty has a sort of light on the left side of the barrel. Seems like they got some sorta AA going on.
6:16 SMG first person view, get a better view of the SMG in widescreen. Can see the left-bumper, right bumper - hold to dual wield/hold to swap. Each button on each side of the screen. Master Chief shadow can be seen from this view too, very high res shadow, can see the shotgun silhouette
6:25 shotty to the face, brute spurts a bunch of green blood ( not that impressive, but it's funny) instead of purple blood.

Of course, any of my complaints pertain to this movie alone.

Diminished returns? WHAT?!?! The game isn't even out yet. I seen things in that video that the Xbox 1 could wish it could do.

Let's wait for the game to be finished and played on a 720p HDTV before we scream diminished returns.

Yeah, they clearly start the documentary off with Halo 2 footage, and man does it look bad compared to what comes later.

I think people now call diminished returns because it's not as huge a leap over other "next gen" titles as they'd like. In other words, they're saying diminishing returns because they're mentally comparing it to Gears, and all the other universe of next-gen titles, is the only possible solution that makes sense. Clearly, comparing it to Halo 2 and calling diminishing returns is ridiculous, and any two pictures show that. So it's not really up for debate.

The difference between gens is def getting bigger each time. Halo versus a PSX game is not that much difference, but this, huge difference.

Personally I wasn't a huge fan of gears, so I'm definitly looking forward to Mass, Halo 3, these clean looking titles. Gears is just too grungy for it's own good. It actually hurts the game in some ways imo..like it's not real or something.

ummm....NO.

Yeah I was just joking, since people are calling diminishing returns on Halo 3.

There's footage of Halo 2 to start the doc. It clearly looks very dated, to be kind. Anybody who watches the video then calls diminishing returns, I have to question that. If you didn't watch the video, you're just doing a drive by (sure some people here are doing that).

I think what they're really getting at is "Halo is supposed to look awesome and compared to other next gen games we dont think it looks awesome enough". That was to be expected though, you dont get a generational leap on same gen hardware, much as everybody wants it.

I'm pleased personally, and I was the one dogging Bungie from the EGM pics...

There's footage of Halo 2 to start the doc. It clearly looks very dated, to be kind. Anybody who watches the video then calls diminishing returns, I have to question that. If you didn't watch the video, you're just doing a drive by (sure some people here are doing that).

Personally I think people take the phrase 'diminishing returns' too literally. It means that the returns are simply getting less, but not that they have diminished alltogether.

I definately believe we are getting diminishing returns with each generation, it's just the nature of the beast. As graphics get better and better, it becomes harder and harder to implement noticeable/striking differences. The improvements become more subtle.

That's not to say that there isn't a HUGE jump between this gen and last, I think there is, the resolution alone make a world of difference. But I also believe that in general we are experiencing diminishing returns, this generation is not bad due to the resolution jump, but I think it'll get especially noticeable in the next couple of generations.

I definately believe we are getting diminishing returns with each generation, it's just the nature of the beast. As graphics get better and better, it becomes harder and harder to implement noticeable/striking differences. The improvements become more subtle.

Yeah but there's no proof of that. There's so much that could be improved on current graphics already, that it's not even funny. Further, I see no less a gap this gen than any previous.

Killzone CG is all you need to look at. If you say that couldn't be done in real time, it's only because we dont have enough power.

Anyways, OT to Halo 3..but I'm sure you've seen the video, so just look at how bad Halo 2 looks, it's clearly a "generational gap", in that the gfx aren't in the same zip code.

Diminishing returns MIGHT be getting here, Carmack thinks so, but I remain highly skeptical, I have not seen it yet. There are no diminishing returns this gen, and so much more power that we need. Look at Crysis. Look at Halo 3. I can look at Halo 3 and spot a million places it could use more power. Knowing that they are straining to do everything they can, but they are limited in hardware juice. Thinking things like wow, I hope they can keep the framerate up with all they are trying to do. Knowing they are maxing out the shaders and wish they had more, same for polygons, is 16 TMU's enough to get the geometry they'd like? Etc.

Yeah but there's no proof of that. There's so much that could be improved on current graphics already, that it's not even funny. Further, I see no less a gap this gen than any previous.

Killzone CG is all you need to look at. If you say that couldn't be done in real time, it's only because we dont have enough power.

Anyways, OT to Halo 3..but I'm sure you've seen the video, so just look at how bad Halo 2 looks, it's clearly a "generational gap", in that the gfx aren't in the same zip code.

That's what I mean by takign it too literally, the question is not 'Could they use more power', as the answer to that will always be yes. It's 'how much of a visual impact would having more power actually make?'

Along the same lines, it's not a question of whether there's a 'generational leap' there, there is, but the question is whether the leap is as big as it was last time.

Like I said, I think this generational leap is fairly close to last gen, going from 640x480 to 1080x1920 is huge, but next time around, when we're already at HD resolutions, it's going to be alot harder to make a generational leap of the same degree. And for users of SDTV's, that is probably the case a little bit right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Last edited by a moderator:
That's 4 classes of brutes they have there... Now consider that Bungie implements a character generator that mixes and matches different armor/attitudes/etc. with the Elites. If they do that with the brutes as well, there should be PLENTY of variety.

some captures from the vid

01kx3.jpg

02st0.jpg

03sw5.jpg

04ay3.jpg

05li0.jpg

06fx0.jpg

Do you people now what diminished returns mean? Here is a great explanation. I personally think that from high end/exclusives N64 to high end/exclusives GC/XB games (even from late Q3 engine games, that dont run on a N64 or even in a dreamcast, to XB version of D3 or others XB exclusive games) there is much bigger jump/return than from H2 (or any other game that make a good use of XB HW) to what we have seen from H3 or any other game from 360/PS3 (specially if we talk of in game gfx). Althought I do agree that some genres does benefict much more than others, ie there is much more return (eg GTA to Dead rising). Anyway I dont think it is any suprisse it had happen before with 2D games.

I never said that the game dont look good or even that it didnt significantly improved, just said that they didnt improved as much as they used to do, and IMO it is already a significant less return (specially if you, like many, dont have a HDTV, which for those is, in pratice, a diminushed return).

BTW I do think the game does look very good, like I said before, even if the art is to much "more of the same".

Diminished returns? WHAT?!?! The game isn't even out yet. I seen things in that video that the Xbox 1 could wish it could do.

Let's wait for the game to be finished and played on a 720p HDTV before we scream diminished returns.

The difference between gens is def getting bigger each time. Halo versus a PSX game is not that much difference, but this, huge difference.

Does you played any PSX/Sat/N64 game lately? Because I cant disagree more.

I love the animation, and art direction of this game. But I was expecting more from the visual standpoint. I hope they improve it

But I was expecting more from the visual standpoint. I hope they improve it

I dunno, I am not sure how they can do much to improve all the hotness that is the untextured gouraud shaded assets. ;) I think that hope is misplaced :p

There's quite a lot of textured scenes in the video as well, and honestly they don't look that good. Shaders are simple, textures lack detail, there's a lot to improve in almost every field...

I really appreciate was bungie is doing they are actually releasing video of their work in progress. That is so refreshing from looking at CGI of the game and tryng to pass it off as in game. Yet we sit here and complain that it doesn't look good and has a lot of work to be done. Well there is a lot of work to be done and I think it looks great and show a lot of promise. Ireally hope that other developer take notes and do the same, unfortunately I fear that is not going to be the case.

And I have no doubt it will.

I definitely have to agree with you.

However, I think Laa-Yosh is just critiquing what he sees now and making a valid point...in that the visuals can improve in many ways. It would be a surprise if the visuals DIDN'T improve bunches considering Halo3 is a WIP and the game isn't due for a good long while.

Halo3 is sure to impress IMO.

Back