Halo 5: Guardians [XO]

Did that final conversation even happen? Why does Cortana appear as she does rather than via the conventional HUD image? Was it a concussion induced dream? Nobody knows because it was vague but she was on the ship that got nuked.

I dunno, it sort of made sense to me. Forerunner tech has that hardlight thing so Cortana used it to project a more physical presence while the ship got destroyed around them?

The first game was very straight forward and its definitely one of the stories I've enjoyed most since I've been gaming. But the stories and motivation become more convoluted with each game because Halo is supposed to be epic and the Chief has to save the universe every game. It just got ridiculous, though.

Actually the first game had some pretty vague hints that never really got answered up to Halo 4. This whole reclaimer thing, the in medias res beginning that made little sense without reading some background material and so on.

But yeah every such story tends to get convoluted after time. At least 343 is trying to put the focus on the characters now, but there's still this franchise saturating thing, all the novels and comics and such...

Last edited by a moderator:
Would this be a bad time to bring up Halo 4's poor enemy and encounter design? And terribly judged final QTE?

I did like Infinity, and Laskey and Roland, but unfortunately all they seemed to do was either need rescuing (because) or be there when the choff said something.

I want to play as a bog standard marine (not even an ODST). You know, a bog standard marine. That bog standard marine that you give a rocket launcher to, that sits upfront in the Warthog, and becomes God.

I think the Forerunner enemies were a nice new approach, a disruptive type of enemy - although I believe they badly needed another class to make things complete. And yeah the large scale stuff was obviously missing, I really hope H5 can beat the double Scarab battle with something. X1 should have the resources to outdo it... and maybe if the game is really a more open world approach then emergent gameplay can once again reach new heights?

I think the Forerunner enemies were a nice new approach, a disruptive type of enemy - although I believe they badly needed another class to make things complete.

I disliked the Forerunner enemies for a couple of reasons. Mainly, it was because their movement patterns were quite boring to fight against. The teleporting enemies were the worst offenders: as a Boss fight something that disrupted the flow of action and reaction could have been interesting, but to have so many enemies enter an invincible teleport animation, disappear, make you wait for no skill based or tension building reason, reappear, rinse and repeat .... it's just amateur. In a more fast paced, twitch based, mouse controlled game without invincibility times and more other elements inplay it might have worked I guess, but it certainly didn't in Halo 4.

Arbitrary invincibility and in-battle teleportation are two signs of gameplay poverty - where a designer runs out of ideas and pulls something from the toilet of gaming history - and unfortunately Halo 4 used both of these ideas, at once, in one of the games core enemies.

Rubbish, humbug and shenanigans.

This, and the bloom associated with the bright yellow striped enemies and J.J.A.J. A. Abrahams lighting gave me The Hates.

And yeah the large scale stuff was obviously missing, I really hope H5 can beat the double Scarab battle with something. X1 should have the resources to outdo it... and maybe if the game is really a more open world approach then emergent gameplay can once again reach new heights?

Lets hope so! Difficulty in isolation is only one way to judge difficulty and skill. Combining multiple elements on the fly to combat adapting enemies is where Halo should be headed, IMO. The increase in power and the potential of the Haloverse certainly offers plenty of scope!

The Forerunner enemies were one of Halo 4's highpoints actually, they are quite difficult actually but not as frustrating to fight as the Flood.

I was impressed by how the Knights can teleport right next to you when you're trying to snipe them and kill you.

@function
that gameplay element is what i dislike from games too. I simply dislike to be forced to "wait".

Bungie with destiny have teleporting enemies that did not force us to wait (vex and hive inconsistently, captain or archon fallen consistently)

I get few messages from the dead so I'm not sure how these things go. Do you expect Cortana to groan "braaaaaaaains" and try to eat the Chiefs arm? :runaway:

You should replay the last level. The Didact falls into the rift long before the bomb explodes; he disappears but his fate is unknown.

Cortana evacs the Chief after he initiates the explosion but before the explosion occurs. He's removed just far enough away that the explosion doesn't kill him. At the time of the explosion most of Crazy Cortana is integrated into the ship. Really, play the last levels because she's largely nuts at this point and is spouting more gibberish than sense. It's more pronounced when you're listening for it.

Did that final conversation even happen? Why does Cortana appear as she does rather than via the conventional HUD image? Was it a concussion induced dream? Nobody knows because it was vague but she was on the ship that got nuked.

The first game was very straight forward and its definitely one of the stories I've enjoyed most since I've been gaming. But the stories and motivation become more convoluted with each game because Halo is supposed to be epic and the Chief has to save the universe every game. It just got ridiculous, though.
I replayed the game yesterday. And when you are going to choose an episode of Halo 4 -Halo TMCC allows you to do that-, if you choose the last episode and the second checkpoint of said episode to start from there, you are briefed on the events happening with a text on screen saying "after the death of Cortana ....etc etc".. So it seems clear that she could die. But I don't buy it. Removing Cortana from Halo is like killing Halo for me. Maybe she can be recovered and they just say that to enhance the dramatic effect.

I'm sure there will be A Cortona AI, but not the Cortona AI in H5 unless they do some bullshit story telling about it.

I'm sure there will be A Cortona AI, but not the Cortona AI in H5 unless they do some bullshit story telling about it.

Dr. Halsey built in a quantum backup utility into Cortana that backed up everything as it was happening halfway across the galaxy. Only all the crazy came back with it, and now Halo 5 is centered around trying to destroy Cray Cray Cortana so that she doesn't destroy the universe. :yep2:

Regards,
SB

"deaths" is not a sure "Deaths". the storywriter can wrung them back to live easily....

but how many thimes tey can do that...

Yup. They killed the Data in Star Trek Nemesis but a Data survives. I'll be surprised if the Chief doesn't get paired with another Cortana AI and she'll feel familiar enough for it not to be weird but different enough for them to do different things.

Whatever AI he gets, he can bring that AI up to speed in his universe saving antics, as can the AI read debrief reports.

Somehow, Chief's quest in Halo 5 will tie into bringing Cortana back imo.
Maybe he'll go to college for four years to learn advanced AI theory and Mission 1 will be trying to find his Dorm. Then he'll spend another four years getting his Masters in cerebral engineering. Maybe mission 3 can have you typing his 20,000 word thesis using the onscreen keyboard. Mission 5 finds you discovering that the organic compound in the AI construct hardware, which enables the artificial neural net, can be regenerated using a rare flower and the Chief has to collect 50,000 Magellan space flowers.

I kid, I kid. :nope:

Official release date: October 27th, 2015.

In.

whew.png

Back