Halo 4 Story (spoilers inside)

How so? I played through all the Spartan Ops chapters and didn't see anything that even hinted at that.

In fact, why are people expecting Spartan Ops to be a primary vehicle for story expansion/clarification? It looks to be nothing more than some additional live fire training exercises. You aren't even the Chief. You're just some random S-IV dude.

Per Cortana touching MC and shielding him, I took it as she was taking control of the light bridge. Just as she bended it to restrain the Didact she then folded it up around MC and was using it, as well, to take a physical form.

That is how I thought it was working, could be wrong.

How so? I played through all the Spartan Ops chapters and didn't see anything that even hinted at that.

The opening video has 2 spartans bantering about who would get to hit on Sarah Palmer first. It is the weekly Spartan Ops video episode.

They also talk about entertaining the ladies in Rio de Janeiro or something. All in all, way more lively than any Spartan II we've seen or heard about. Then again they are volunteer marines and had a normal childhood and life before the augmentations.

Also, Spartan Ops will have 9 more episodes and each will have like 5-6 minutes of CG. That's an hour long short movie, basically, so there's every reason to expect a story. I wonder if it'll eventually at least hint about what Chief's been doing for six months...

Ok, I do remember that now that you mention it. I guess I don't really consider them "Spartans" because they seem to me to be a bunch of marine yahoos who got drunk and volunteered for a special ops program. They don't seem battle tested, at least not like the Chief. I wonder if they'd be so glib after going through what he's been through?

They won't be going through the same thing for many reasons... There's supposed to be about 3-400 SIV's on board on Infinity, and I think the guys in the cinematic are just getting their first assignments at that point, they're fresh out of recovering from the augmentation process.

The LE booklet seems to indicate that augmentation is still stressful and only a small percentage of the human population can go through it, but at least it has a far greater success ratio compared to the ~50% that Chief and the rest had. On the other hand it's also not as effective, partially because the subjects are much older than 14...

So, seeing the various reactions here 343 has obviously met a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation with this game, as it was pretty much expected ;)
But the first day sales suggest that the game will do well enough to justify a Halo 5, even though we don't know how well it will sell through the next few months (most of the previous Halo games kept selling very well).

So what should change in Halo 5?

- I think 343 should get more bold and make some serious changes. Get rid of more sandbox elements and replace them with some radically new ones. We've seen enough of Wraiths and Carbines and Phantoms. If anyone wants to play such a Halo game, get beck to anything from CE to 4 and let us have new stuff in 5.
For example, get the Storm Covenant fraction equipped with Forerunner armor and weapons. The one thing the Didact has never been short of is tech, they have machines to mine entire planets without help so he could equip all his worshipers with the best things available.
Get the eel-creatures that form into the Hunters into new shapes with Forerunner tech, make Grunts fearsome, and Elites terrifying. Bring in the War Sphinxes from the books that can work with a pilot or on their own and even combine into a more powerful version. Also add at least one more type of Promethean that has good synergies with the existing ones to create more complex encounters.
And of course it's time to face real, living Forerunners too. I still think that the ending monologue takes place in some surviving community, on another shield world or some other yet unknown installation. The Didact should be able to convince some of them to join him in the campaign against humanity.

- Get the Chief into some Mark VII armor to compensate. Bungie's philosophy was that it's OK to have overpowered stuff in the game as long as everything is overpowered. Just think about it, how many games have a pistol that's useful throughout the entire campaign? You can keep scope-headshotting Crawlers until the very end, it's a perfectly valid approach.
Also give him new UNSC weapons. It's overkill to keep all the favorites - BR, DMR, SR, Magnum etc. - and leave no room for some innovative new stuff. Humanity has been adopting Forerunner tech, so there should be some nice new gadgets. It's already been strange to have billions invested in augmenting and armoring Spartans and then having them use the same weapons that regular marines have. Good survivability and efficiency, yes, but where's the firepower?
Okay, there were some new weapons in the campaign but I've found that lack of extra ammo for the SAW made it almost invisible, you always had to replace it with something else after like 2-3 kills; same with the otherwise excellent railgun. You get to kill 3-4 Knights and then goodbye.

- Also, do more things to the Chief. He should slowly become even more than a Spartan II, and he has to in order to defeat any Forerunners, not to mention the Didact himself.

- Although, considering the hints in the novels, these two may have to join forces against the Precursor/Flood threat in the end... Maybe even have the Didact redeem himself? Or would that make him too Darth Vader? :)

- Keep the current story direction. Yes some people liked the bright colored aliens and all, but there's been enough of this as well. I like the Chief talking more, having some depth, and the game treading into classical sci-fi territory.
And H4 had it's share of humor and even some nice Star Wars references - Cortana in the Ghost escape scene: "It's not like I can get out and push!" reminded me of Leia at the beginning of Empire, offering to do the same with the Falcon. And final level trench run, of course.

- While I like Lasky and Palmer could get more interesting in the future as well, it's still time to bring the Arbiter back. He's the closest thing to a friend that the Chief has.

- Bring the Flood back. But make it fun for everyone, even the haters. It should be possible to get it right.

- Unsure about Cortana, but a Halo game without Jen Taylor?

- Also, a Halo game without a Halo? As far as we know Ifinity has only got to Installations 3 and 5, with 4 destroyed there should still be another three and they can all have something special to them. Not sure what happened to the Ark either.

Can't really comment on multiplayer ;) And I'm sure the graphics will get better. Gunplay and other mechanics are spot on already, although the AI seemed to falter occasionally and encounters were scaled down a little. But more CPU power in the next Xbox will surely help here...

The Spartan Ops episode videos are brilliant.

I'd welcome the Flood back in 5. They were fun in CE with the shotgun and plenty of grenades to lob in. AR for the little guys.

It might seem like I hate Halo 4, but I really don't. It's just that I've been playing (and loving) Halo for more than a decade. I fully expect the franchise to go in new directions, but I also expect certain things to remain, things that make Halo unique. I feel 343 compromised too many of these things, to the point that I begin to question whether they truly understand what it is that makes some of us stick with the franchise for over 10 years. Anyway, I'm tired of talking about Halo.

NRP said:
It might seem like I hate Halo 4, but I really don't. It's just that I've been playing (and loving) Halo for more than a decade. I fully expect the franchise to go in new directions, but I also expect certain things to remain, things that make Halo unique. I feel 343 compromised too many of these things, to the point that I begin to question whether they truly understand what it is that makes some of us stick with the franchise for over 10 years. Anyway, I'm tired of talking about Halo.

Just out if curiosity, what makes people stick with Halo? I have Halo 3 and Reach which I have finished, and played Halo 1 at a friends house, and although good games I never understood the Halo hysteria. They didnt leave much in terms of memorable moments in me (except maybe 1), and the campaign didnt wow me as much as other games that have left history.

The Spartan Ops episode videos are brilliant.

I'd welcome the Flood back in 5. They were fun in CE with the shotgun and plenty of grenades to lob in. AR for the little guys.

If they keep the design for foot soldiers like those in the multi Flood mode im all in for reintroduction of the Flood.
Ooh and reintroduce cortana back at around 40% i want her back goddammit 343I ..... :p dem hips

I like how they worked Laskey in. Some quick takes:

* Dr. Halsey and Laskey will be there to help MC in his next adventure.

* Dr. Halsey will be tantamount to reclaiming Cortana. A lot of options here. The Diadact was talking at the end and seeing as there is a biological-digital bridge--and all we saw was the Diadact fall, nothing more (remember, this guy is so powerful he can pick up MC with his mind)--so he may have her. She may be lost in some scraps. She could be with MC in that he has changed and was hearing the Diadact when Cortana could not. All kinds of oddness happening here.

* The Librarian changed MC. The Legendary ending shows different eyes which, based on the Forerunner back stories of metamorphosis, could very well be the crux of the next game. My prediction? Humans turn on MC. MC, with Laskey, has to find Cortana and get her to Halsey. Problem? MC will not only have to fight the Storm and Prometheans but also HUMANS, and worse yet, the new Spartans. :oops: They have already set the tablet for MC disobeying directives, now that he may not be human, @#$@# will hit the fan.

* MC will be pushed to the edge and have to go it alone... MC will have have no Cortana, Laskey will get killed, humans have turned on him, the Storm and Prometheans have forged an aliance, and it will get worse: the flood will return and the Covenant-Brute alliance will rear it's head. I predict Halsey will die saving Cortana and the major twist in the story will be :arrow: the return of MIA Spartan-IIs. MC's old friends.
* We may even see a "Halo ODST" style gap filling game about the missing Spartans and how they worked together to regroup with humanity and come to MC's aid. I would also expect the Arbirture to play into this now that the Storm have aligned with the Prometheans.

I know some people don't like the story twists but I think there are plenty of options for what happened to Cortana--whatever it is will play a big role in rescuing her. They have a cast of characters, both good (Laskey, Halsey, the Arbiture, missing Spartans, the Librarian), some antagonistic (the ruffled General, the Diadact and Prometheans, the Covenant, the Storm, the flood) and some where we don't know where they will stand in a divided conflict (humans and new Spartans).

What we do know is something is wrong with MC and it probably is so bad he will need Cortana and the Librarian to get him out of this mess--and all the usual suspects (flood, Covenant, Prometheans, maybe some humans) will now stand in his way.

I like the story direction -- I like how MC is built up in the prologue. Oh, and the variety of LARGE sandbox gameplay pieces and gameplay evolution I found spot on. No complaints from me so far. I thought Reach really got away from the "here is an open play field, you choose where you go and how you beat everyone" whereas Halo 4 built on and above Halo 3. Heroic is hard and the gun variety and balance is cool--me and Castaway found we liked totally different weapons.

What I bolded from your great post could give 343i the opportunity for the MC to really flex his combat prowess and survival skills by sorta of letting him go "Rambo" in how he approaches a potential engagement.For example, the MC in Halo 5's open world like campaign could set up booby traps, create makeshift weapons when he is scarcely low on ammunition or a weapon is totally destroyed etc.Since most of the time he's going to be on his own without any informational help from Cortana, this could allow for some incredibly cool freeform gameplay.... :D:devilish::devilish:

Just finished, I was surprised by the ending; I thought the Composer would be able to fix Cortana OR make her human (since it can convert organic beings to digital ones, maybe it can also do the reverse)

I'm sure they'll bring her back in one form or the other though, maybe Halsey has a twin AI stored somewhere.

Also, I think in sequence where Didact is released by MC, he indicates that the Forerunners are returning

The unknown figure reveals himself to be The Didact, and handily defeats the Master Chief before declaring that his people, The Forerunners themselves, are returning to the Galaxy after thousands of years, and he remarks on how Humanity must still be weak, as the Covenant do not answer to Humanity.
http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Halo_4

So maybe the rest of the Forerunners feature in 5/6 either as enemies or allies. Is there any sizeable number of Forerunners left though? Or did they all perish in the firing of the Halo arrays.

The other thing, I think they'll do in 5 & 6 is introduce the Precursors, who are very interesting.
The intended for the Mantle to be inherited by humans as they came to see the Forerunner as unworthy. To this end, they created the Flood, to wipe out the Forerunner and also as a test for humanity to see whether it was worthy of the Mantle.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ursor+&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au&client=safari

it seems I'm the only one that not understand the story of halo 4.

I started playing halo on pc and I don't understand. then I skip whole series.

playing halo reach and I get the story. playing halo 4 and I don't understand the story.

what the main villain is doing? who the woman alien? why the survivor in main villain planet don't want to leave the planet?

so many things I don't understand. one thing I understand is that cortana is deteriorating into more human than chief.

Back