Rate your 2007 playlist (full games only)!

Crackdown - 8/10
Fun but too repetitive, and lacking variety in missions. I really didn't find the orb hunting that entertaining.

Gears of War - 8.5/10
Presentation top notch, combat felt extremely visceral. GFX weren't really my cup of tea. Sure, high res textures everywhere, but the colours were drab, and the character models were weakm especially enemies.

The story was pretty much crap, and the overall length was too short.

Blue Dragon - 8.5/10
Played it on hard mode and it was an excellent challenge. After unlocking the airship on disc three, the entire game world opened up and it really came into it's own. Amazing graphics, excellent sound track, and a great variety of missions/villages. The fighting system was also excellent, with great depth that only is exposed when playing on the harer difficulty.

A boring story, and slow pacing in the beginning dragged this one down.

Bioshock - 9.5/10
Amazing graphics combined with the best story I've seen in a long long time make for one of my favourite games ever. The plasmids offered great variety in gameplay, and using your imagination you can come up with many fun ways to play the game.

Some may say the challenge wasn't there, but the game offered all the options to challenge yourself, which is what I chose to do.

Halo 3 - 8/10
The visceral combat is still there, but the graphics and AI were major dissapointments. I can't understand people giving this a 6/10, as the core combat is so damn fun and challenging. I think people giving it such low scores just were not very skilled at the game, and as such never experienced the joy that is pure white-knuckled combat, rather they played it safe and sniped from a distance. Not the way this game was meant to be played.

Assassin's Creed - 8.5/10
Best graphics I've ever seen, and an amazing game world. Great storyline that gets a little silly at the end. The repetition is annoying, though the feeling of planning, and executing the perfect assasination is pure gold.

I loved almost everything about this game, but the experience was marred by repetitive audio, and a lack of challenge.

Mario Galaxy - 8/10
Fun stuff, but not much challenge. Mario never lets you down, but I feel the way this game has been designed removes much of the challenge that made Mario so much fun in the past.

Even the more challenging levels, are fairly short, meaning you can always replay them in bite sized chunks. It's much less frustrating, but also less rewarding. There's also no risk of ever hitting a game over, as it simply resets you to 5 lives every time you start the game.

Mass Effect - 9.75/10
Probably the best game I've ever played. Sure it has a bunch of technical problems, but it stands so far above other titles that it's like comparing a T-Bone steak, to a Hamburger, there just is no comparison, even if the T-bone is not perfectly seasoned!

The story blew me away, the variety of sidequests, and sheer quantity of exploration was amazing. The graphics all in all are beautiful, the sound is some of the best in recent memory.

My major gripe is that the force powers are a little neutured. Compared to shooting lightning bolts from your fingers, or choking an entire group of enemies in KOTOR, these felt a little on the weak side, and I couldn't stop wishing I had a Force Choke ability ;)

Wow. A lot of you guys have ridiculous high standards for games.

Here are mines...
PS3
Heavenly Sword- 5/10
Uncharted- 6/10
R&C- 8/10
Warhawk- 3/10
Lair- 0/10

Halo 3- 3/10
Bioshock- 5/10
Mass Effect- 6/10
Forza- 6/10

Wii
Mario Galaxy- 8/10

Multiplatform
CoD4- 4/10
Assassin Creed- 2/10

Assassins Creed is my game of the year so far. Which surprised even me. Getting the combat just right was so rewarding that I never tire of it. The animation and control system far surpass any other game ever made (that I've played at least). Its truly remarkable.

hmmmmm....

PS3
HS 7/10
Lair 5/10
Uncharted 8/10
R&C 9/10
EoJ 6/10 (maybe a 7 depending)

ME 8/10
Halo3 8/10
Blue Dragon 7/10
PGR4 7/10
VF5 9/10
Forza2 8/10

Multi
COD4 8/10
Darkness 7/10
-entirely too many to list

PC
Bioshock 9/10
Crysis 8.5/10
NWN Exp 9/10
STALKER 7/10
UT3 7/10
Witcher 9/10
MOA 7/10
HL2 Ep2 6/10

Game of the year: Witcher (oddly enough it seems that I pick a different game every time I post on the subject)

Argh some of you are listing games that came out before 2k7. Confused me.

Mass Effect 10/10 - I have never been so immersed in a game before. Awesome story and awesome gameplay. I really dug the ability to make choices throughout the gameplay. Right after I finished the game I started another game to playthrough with different characters and to make different decisions.

Assassin's Creed 7/10 - No one wanted to love this game more than I did but the repetitive gameplay really brings this game down. On top of that the story is very meh. The interactive environment is the only saving grace in the game.

Lost Planet 9/10 - The only thing that could've made this game better is a story that wasn't crap.

Bioshock 7/10 - Great art design and good story. I hate FPS games but this game's plasmids spiced things up enough barely for me.

Eternal Sonata - 9/10 Finally the first great JRPG on a Microsoft console!

Last edited by a moderator:
Gears of War: 9/10 - loved it and didn't want it to end despite the whole "bald space marines" thing.
Mass Effect: 7.5/10 - I must caveat that with saying that I've only played it for an hour or so at a friends house. Was mightily impressed though.
Splinter Cell DA: 6/10 - Hmm. Picked this up based on reviews. Haven't got more than half an hour into it though. Thought it looked dated and the camera ruined my attempts to do anything.

PS3
HS: 910 - Loved it, but still haven't finished it.
Warhawk: 9/0 - What a blast. Easy pick up & play.
Motorstorm: 810 - Loved this too! I'm guessing my lack of hardcore-ness is showing through. Still haven't "completed" it and have only played online a handful of times. But I've enjoyed the single player immensely.

Multi
Pro Evo '07: 8/10 - As someone who regularly plays on Sundays I'm always going to nitpick. Much better than the '06 version which I found frustrating because of player control switching.
CoD4: 8/10 - Marked down because of the motion sickness I seem to suffer with it and the fact I still haven't tried it online.
VF5: 6/10 - Not for me. I'm more a DOA type I guess. Too much effort to get into I found so on my infrequent plays the repetition of moves was shocking! (Ok, I realise this is a fault of mine rather than the game...)

This list isn't exhaustive. Just a few of the highlights of my gaming year. What seems clear is that I'm not into gaming as much as I thought I was!

Other than that, it would be good for this thread if a mod periodically pruned out every post that does not list and rate games.
[modhat]It would be much better though if people didn't start saying someone's personal take on games is wrong. You wouldn't try and tell me whether I do or don't like peanut butter would you? Well then...[/modhat]

Back