Rate your 2007 playlist (full games only)!

RobertR1

Pro
Legend
Now that most of the big hitters are out, it'd be fun to look back at this year, recall which games you played and how you'd rate them. Just give a rating and a small description. Remember, these are only 2007 full games (no arcade/demos)

Lost Planet. 7/10
Fun enough to play through but the gameplay is overly hectic at times. Actually takes the fun out of it. Looks good though. Weak story.

Rainbow Six: Vegas. 9/10
The best tactical shooter with the best squad control and cover system to date. An absolute blast. MP was great also. The story and the lead character were quite lame though. 4player co-op and terrorist hunt is fun everytime you play it.

Crackdown. 9/10
The sleeper hit of the year for me. Loved the art style, presentation and gameplay. Story was absolute shit though. If it wasn't fun to just do silly stuff in the game, it'd be a bore but the gameplay rocks.

Bioshock. 7/10
Looks good and starts out great but the 2nd half of the game is a chore. The close quarter combat gets repetitive after a while and the ending(s) suck. Wasn't too impressed with the overall game.

Halo 3. 9.5/10
Just an amazing package. Awesome campaign. 4player co-op, replays, forge and obviously the MP. Tons of replay value here. It loses .5 for the Cortana level though.

CoD4. 8/10
The campaign didn't do anything for me. Didn't care about any of the characters. What the campaign lacks, the MP more than enough makes up for it. A longer campaign, co-op and better writing/story are needed

Assassin's Creed. 8/10
An awesome presentation spoiled by poor story telling and repetitive missions. I was really into it but half way through, I just wanted to get it over with. Still you can't ignore the world they created and all the things you can do in it

PGR4. 8.5/10
Very disappointing that this game got no love. Looks and plays great! Could use more real life race tracks though.

Forza2 9/10
Best sim racer to date. Looks and plays great. The interface needs an overhaul. Too much effort to move around the menu's.

Mass Effect. 9.7/10
By far the best story telling, immersion and an urge to replay a game over and over that I can think of. If the presentation wasn't so overwhelming amazing the technical issues would drop it to an 8.5 but I'm willing to let those go for the rest of it.

HL2: EP2. 6/10
HL2 was amazing. EP1 was a step down. EP2 just sucks. Too many puzzles, talking and not enough combat. The only good thing was the last level. Everything else was a bore.

Uncharted: Drake Fortune. 8.5/10
A fun game that isn't amazing in any one area but does great all around and keeps you wanting to play it. If you have a PS3, you better have a damn good reason to not be playing this!

As you can see, 2007 has been one hell of a year for great gaming.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't played much this year, but here goes:
  • Mass Effect - depth, length, and it's everything I loved about KotOR taken to the nth degree! The only bad thing I can think of is the driving. Halo still holds the crown on vehicle controls in action games IMHO.
  • Halo 3 - Finishing the story arc, the alternate reality game on the viral marketing that gave a little more insight to the story. The skulls and co-op are great.
  • Forza 2 - Even though I'm not a hardcore car nut, I can still appreciate the excellent driving physics and the very smooth frame rate.
  • Crackdown - A pretty surprising game to say the least. The hero abilities and the leveling system was a nice addition to the city-sandbox genre. The cartoony art style balanced well with the game's semi-serious tone. Lastly, the almost non-existant load times and the solid framerate deserves a mention too, coming from a new development team.
  • Guitar Hero 3 - What's not to love? :p
  • Shadowrun - The multiplayer was a fresh change, but it really needed to have a single player campaign following in the footsteps of its namesake. Something along the lines of Deus Ex would have done it justice. As an MP-focused title, the paltry 10 maps and the full priced SKU left a very bad impression.

I can go back and lower it just for you :p

I thought so too. ^_^
It's just an opinion anyway... however you score it.

I was looking for harsher review but doing it halfway is missing out on quite a few key things. It's like preparing for a match and the opponent decided to go shopping. I am sure the developers would prefer a complete review to solicit all feedback.

I am aware of some criticisms of the game, depending on your taste for instance. I am also aware of certain other development in the game that you are not privy to yet. :p

EDIT:

:mad:

Why are Arcade/PSN/VC games never considered "full" or "real" games, who the hell started that trend?

Damn right :mad:
They deserve more attention than the big guys.

Resistance: Fall of Man - 9.3/10
with a solid single player campaign of 12-15 hours, coop mode, solid online play as well as "achievements", this was a solid launch title. visuals weren't anything amazing, but good considering it was a launch title. some levels did look very good and the framerate was a solid 30fps.

Rainbow Six: Vegas (PS3) - 8.7/10
PS3 version was alright. single player campaign was good but online was great. there was no lobby system which was a huge disappointment, but i had a blast playing online. framerate dropped during some intense battles but it was playable 95% of the time.

Call of Duty 3 (PS3) - 7.9/10
was an alright game but by far the worst in the series. bought it and sold it.

Heavenly Sword - 8.7/10
as a huge fan of third-person action games, i really enjoyed HS. the combat system was excellent and the game was just a blast to play. the story, characters and voice acting were very well done. its definitely one of the best looking PS3 titles, i loved everything except for the flickering shadows. the framerate chugged at times but it was nothing gamebreaking. the game was a little short and offered little replay value but the game was exciting from start to finish.

Warhawk - 8.8/10
solid multiplayer game, arguably the best online experience on PS3. i haven't played it for a while but when i did play, the stats would rarely update and i had a frustrating time trying to join servers that said there were spots open only to find out they were full. but the actual gameplay is excellent.

Ratchet & Clank: Future Tools of Destruction - 9.4/10
my favorite PS3 title so far. it was a little on the easier side, but it was a blast to play. took me just over 12 hours on normal mode, but i've easily put in over 30 hours. also one of the best looking PS3 titles. its just so clean, vibrant and smooth with the framerate rarely dipping below 60fps.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - 9.3/10
i loved everything about it except i found the controls frustrating at times. best looking console game in my books. i don't think i've ever been this impressed by the visuals of a game before. so many times i found myself just walking around admiring the scenery. they are not perfect however - there is some very minor frame dips (jet ski levels, and the first chapter were most noticeable), sometimes textures would take a few seconds to load and there is some screen tearing.

God of War II - 9.3/10
i was amazed at how good the visuals were considering its a PS2 game. the gameplay, story, sound and presentation are also top notch. it was also a little longer than the first and offered a little more replay value (something that the first didn't really offer much of). so overall, i enjoyed it more than the first.

i'm waiting for CoD4 from dell, but i'm not done with Drake yet anyway. :smile:
also currently playing Gears of War for the first time on PC.

Startrek Legacy: 9/10 - Decent single player missions but the game is simply awsome from a modding point of view when you get into the skirmish mode.

Serious Sam 2: 8.8/10 - Great straight forward Doom style mayhem! Nothing deep here but it looks great and its loads of fun.

Tombraider Legend: 8.2/10 - A good game, little slow at times but some great moments nontheless. Didn't come close to the original for me though. More due to expectations than the actually quality of the game I would imagine.

Halo 2: 8.5/10 - lacked the story of the original and the gameplay seemed a little to basic in comparison. Still a great game though, shame about the poor graphics.

HL2: Ep1: 8.7/10 - great game but a let down after HL2

HL2: Ep2: 9/10 - Better than EP1 but felt even shorte and did have its dedious moments. Story was very good though.

Portal: 9.5/10 - What can I say? Amazing concept with a terrific story woven in. Puzzles were a bit too easy and the game was way too short but they are this games only faults.

Doom 3 Ressurection of Evil: 9.3/10 - Yep thats right, this game was excellent. Superb graphics (even by todays standards) and extremely atmospheric. Gameplay was simple but that didn't stop it being great fun.

Playing as of now…

PC:
* Crysis: 10/10
* Bio Shock: 8/10
* Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 10/10
* Orange Box: 8/10

PS3:
* Lair: 7/10
* Heavenly Sword: 10/10
* Resistance: 8/10
* VF5: 9/10
* R&C: 8/10

Xbox 360:
* Gears of War: 10/10
* PGR 3: 8/10
* Dead or Alive 4: 10/10
* Halo 3: 7/10
* Mass Effect: 9/10

Played so many games this year, the ones that come to mind are

Lost Planet 7/10 – Entertaining gameplay, shitty story

Crackdown 9/10 – Great game overall, good extension of GTA style. I am still missing 2 agility orbs, h8h8h8h88h8h8h8h8h8h8

Blue Dragon 6/10 – I wanted to like this game so much and just couldn’t, long battle load times, a whiney main character and an uninteresting story. I got to the third disk before halo 3 came out and haven’t played it since

Eternal Sonata 8.5/10 –amazing graphics, good story, gameplay is receptive (didn’t bother me much though), awesome soundtrack, but it got a little preachy at times

Bioshock 7/10 – I remember reading about the “build your own weapons” and they made it sound like I would be ripping apart speakers and building a homemade gauss rifle. Such was not the case. Gameplay got tiring toward the end and I thought the story was average at best. I did have a couple good scares though.

Halo 3 9.5/10 – Great presentation overall and I enjoyed myself all the way through. Coop is wicked fun

Orange Box 9.7/10 – Portal = awesome. TF2 is fun, haven’t really played it much though. EP2 is more HL, I got really annoyed at the last car part, don’t know why; beyond that I enjoyed myself all the way through.

Mass Effect 9.8/10 – This game is so bad ass. Driving the Mako around got a little tiring, other than that I had a blast all the way though. Now if they would just enable hdd caching …

CoD 4 9.5/10- I hated all the other CoD games, and I mean hated. Dunno why, just couldn’t stand playing them. CoD 4 fucking rocks, awesome single player campaign (A130 4tw) and online is fun fun fun.

STALKER 8.5/10- Fun game, although a little buggy at times, it had an engaging story and environment.

PS3

God of War 2: 10/10
Amazing visuals, story, music and game play. Picked right up where the first left off and gave a great opening scene battle. The best opening to a game I have ever experienced. I actually took off work the day of release and beat it within 2 days. I have never done that for a game in my life.

Heavenly Sword: 9.5/10
Despite what many say, I thought this game was amazing. Another rare title that I completed due to great visuals, story, and game play.

Uncharted-Drakes Fortune: 9.5/10
Amazing game. Only complaint was the waves of enemies but the game performs great in all areas!

Ratchet and Clank TOD: 9/10
Great fun gameplay. Amazing graphics. Great music. The game is just overall, very fun to play.

COD4: 8.5/10
Kicked off with a great bang in the arcade. The game is very intense with non stop action and I love it. I have not played mp online as I am a sngle player whore but since I own the game I will definately check it out.

Assassin's Creed: 8/10
Great graphics, good story and presentation. Gameplay gets very repetitive.

F1 Championship Edition: 9/10
I love F1, therefore I love this game. Simple as that EA.

Motorstorm 8.5/10
At first I disliked this game but picked it up recently and I am enjoying it very much. Great fun!

Rainbow Six Vegas: 8/10
An unexpected hit for me though like all shooters they share the fate of me getting bored quickly with them. This game was indeed fun but just didn't have that lasting appeal to me.

Crackdown: 8/10
Very fun GTA type of play.

Bioshock: 8/10
A day 1 for me. Looks great and had a great start but somewhere I just lost my lust for the game and have not continued.

Halo3: 7/10
Man. I played the Beta. I played the campaign and just meh. Im not sure why I gave it a 7. Should be lower but considering I got through 99% of the campaign I will keep it at that. Nothing grabs me or interests me with this series. I just don't get the hype.

Forza2: 8/10
Good graphics, good gameplay. Considering I hated the first Forza this is a huge improvement for me, but still lacking that connection with it.

Wii

Trauma Center Second Opinion: 8/10
Really fun game. I was able to hook my friends on this as well. Cant wait to play New Blood.

Excite Truck: 8/10
A surprise hit for me. I have had so much fun with this game. Teaches me not to write anything off so soon.

Super Paper Mario: 8.5/10
Love the gameplay. Very fun.

Super Mario Galaxy: 10/10
I mean really?

Ok, im tired and I got tired of writing short reviews of my games. There are still some I have not put up but meh.

Picross DS: 9/10
Great game, though a bit short. Probably should look for more puzzles from net.

Portal XB360: 8/10
Ideas were great but game was way too short in my opinion. I hope they use portal gun in future HL episode(s?).

Colin McRae: Dirt XB360: 8/10
Quite good racer with different race styles. Too bad that it sometimes has severe performance problems. It is not nearly as fun with controller as it is with steering wheel.

Haven't finished much more games and as I got XB just 1.5 months ago I haven't played many of its games. Assassin creed looks quite nice so far but I haven't played much of it yet. What I've understood is that XB360 desperately needs an official keyboard and mouse adapter to be able to play FPS'es half-decently. Yes, it is doable with a controller but you can say bye-bye to accuracy and speed of the mouse. Too bad that the only adapter I know costs a lot and is hard to get.

X360
GeOW 10/10
Darkness 8/10
COD4 9.5/10
COD2 9/10
GRAW1 8/10
GRAW2 8.5/10
HALO3 7/10(was dissappointed maybe my expectations were high)

Hmm, does this count only as games purchased in 07 or played? In other words Geow, I purchased in 06 but still play a lot does it go on this list?

Anyway:

Halo 3: 6.5..terrible, terrible campaign. All that was once good about Halo is nearly gone, the graphics are archaic (sans the gorgeous lighting and vistas), animation horrendous, AI overrated, aliasing is omnipresent, the flood/organic level is awful, the ending level is awful..ending anti-climactic and soulless, need I go on? It's still somewhat fun and pretty so rates a 6.5. I dont even like the multiplayer matchmaking either. Everything about this game is done pretty terribly and in a non-user friendly manner, right down to forge and the auto recorded gameplay movies. These would be cool features if they weren't implemented so obtusely. It does offer the most popular multi-player on Live so..

COD4..so far, 7.0..nice graphics but a soulless game. Scripted to the nth degree..one of the 1up editors referred to this as essentially a "light gun game" but without the light gun of course. In that you proceed down corridors and wait for enemies to pop out at pre set points. I kinda agree.

The multi-player I haven't played much, but it certainly looks very good. The whole idea of leveling up in a multiplayer FPS looks to be cool.

I forgot one, Orange Box. So far I have only played through most of HL2 (not Ep 1, Portal etc) I would have to rate it about a 8.0. It's a lot of fun, albeit dated graphics and tiresome vehicle sequences.

Placeholder, will be working on this on and off and I've ordered a bunch of games that will be coming-in in the next few weeks:

PSP
- PES 2006
- MGS: Portable Ops
- Killzone

X360
- Forza 2
- PGR3 (Wheel Pack-in)

PS3
- Resistance
- Motorstorm
- Heavenly Sword
- Warhawk
- Eye of Judgment
- Guitar Hero

PS2:
- Buzz: Music Quiz
- Buzz: Mega Quiz

I haven't played much this year, so here's my very short list. I only finished one game this year btw, and it hasn't been discussed here before.

Enchanted Arms (PS3): 8/10: I really liked the story, there were some interesting surprises in it for me. I actually loved the battle system, finally a new and well thought out idea for a turn based system IMHO.
Some mild glitches in the graphics but nothing serious that I have seen. A couple of crashes (3 or so in about 50 hours of gameplay). The loading was long and occurred a bit too often though.

So, that was the game I finished.

Now playing:
FFXII: 9/10 so far: I'm only about 12 hours into the game, but I can see that it looks good so far, in every possible way. Only thing I miss from the previous games I played (PS1 only, VI, VII, VIII, IX) is the traveling around the world map.

Played but not finished:
Two Worlds: I quit after about 3-4 hours because of the bugs, even after applying all the patches. And since you have to restart after every patch, it didn't really appeal to me anymore, since they were releasing a patch about every month in the beginning.
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic: Same as above, frequent crashes of the game killed it for me. From what I have seen though, the game looks good, plays good, the fighting works well, so nothing wrong about that, but having to replay almost every single part for 5 times due to a crash is not good.

Resistance Fall of Man: 8.3/10 I quite enjoyed it, and the weapons were a nice surprise...the campaign was kind of predictable though.

Motorstorm: 8.5/10 Great racer but a bit lacking in content, and the AI can get incredibly annoying it later stages which actually isn't very fun.

Heavenly Sword: 8.7/10 Really enjoyed this, great story, incredible acting, fab graphics, though a bit linear and a bit shorter than expected.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune: 9.5/10 Quite simply - a triumph. Very strong gameplay, the graphics just nudge everything else...best paced game I've played, and it's very replayable.

Final Fantasy 12: 9.5 First Final Fantasy game I played properly (doing everything rather than just ploughing through the story) and I really enjoyed it, second best PS2 game I have ever played behind GT4. Final Fantasy 7 is still the best in my opinion, but at least it seems they are back on the right track now.

Motorstorm: 7.5 I like it, it looks great, I like controlling the vehicles with the sixaxis (until the later levels where it's almost impossible to win using it), but for me this game is everything thats wrong with this new "internet enabled" console generation. First I was disappointed they shipped what seemed to be an incomplete game (Very little content), then they start charging for crap I feel should've been in their from the beginning!! Thankfully, it seems to be the exception at the minute, but I have a horrible feeling this is going to be the norm in a couple of years and it saddens me.

Resistance Fall of Man: 8 no, 9 Hmm, I reallly do not like FPS games so this rating is a tough one. Resistance did hold my interest longer than any other FPS game I've played, so I guess it's good, nice but not Earth shattering graphics, good story (although I haven't got to the end I am waiting for some cheats :LOL:), absolutely brilliant online multiplayer (even though my suckiness makes me more the prey than predator) makes me fire it up occasionally still, a good 8 months after I bought it. A first in this house for an FPS game.

Ratchet and Clank: 10 An absolutely brilliant game, I don't think they did it on purpose, but the last sucky episode on PS2 has really made this game seem fresh, despite not adding anything new to the series, it's back to what I loved about the series, it ticks all the boxes, graphics, sound, weapons, humour and a decent story. A finer PS3 game cannot be had (yet). My sister isn't a gamer, but she came round the other day when I was playing it and she wanted a go, 2 hours later I had to kick her off :LOL:

Rainbow Six: 9/10.. Good overall SP, and very good MP with excellent lag handling. Spent countless fun hours with buddies.

Oblivion: 9/10.. Large game world. Allows for non-linear play. Very good graphics for an early next-gen game.

Forza 2: 9/10.. Very good sim. Incredible customization options and damage modelling which affects the game-play in a very realistic way.

Bioshock: 10/10.. Excellent atmosphere. Good gameplay. Gives you something new at each step.

Halo 3: 8/10.. If you are not familiar with the first two game, you get lost on the story (I wish they included some 'previously' video in the beginning of the game). Challanging large scale battles.. AI of the enemies sucks in the normal difficultly level (much better in hard mode). AI of your soldiers sucks all the time :(

Guitar Hero 3: 9/10.. Fun and challanging game play. A must for all rockers.

Rock Band: 9/10.. Blast MP. Nothing can touch this when you get together with 3-4 friends. Song selection is on the light side for me.. I wish it has more heavier songs (and some progressive songs as well)

Mass Effect 10/10.. Very good story.. Excellent story telling. The new dialogue system sets a new standard. Excellent character rendering (both gfx/animation-wise). Do not care much about the combat as it is not the main point of a good RPG anyway.

Games that made the collection.

Resistance - 9.5/10
Probably the first time I've played through a single player campaign on any FPS more than once. Excellent graphics, framerates, artwork, sound, weapons...you name it, they nailed it. I played the MP to death (3000+ matches before I essentially shelved it when more games started coming out). It would have been a 10/10 but I think the SP lacked on Boss fights...could have been more IMO.

Warhawk - 8.5/10
As a MP only game this baby is slowly beginning to shine. I would say that the score probably started at 7/10 because they really DID release the Beta to the public. The first few months have been ridden with glitches, bugs and cheating that have only recently been addressed. There are still some things holding this game back from getting into the 9+ range. A more robust lobby/messaging/invite system is needed. Some bugs are still needing to be addressed (1.2 in Dec). The scoring system needs to be reevaluated. CTF has become DTF because that's where all the points are. Everyone camps their flag and no one plays offense...it makes for lackluster play. TDM, DM points are too low compared to CTF or Zones. So if you like ranking up and getting new skins you're stuck playing a broken CTF system or Zones. Zones is fun, but the games need better point balancing so you can enjoy all the modes equally.

Heavenly Sword - 9/10
HS is a work of art. Three cheers to our friends at Ninja Theory. Beautiful is the first word that comes to mind with this game. Excellent implementation of the motion sensing. A combat system that got deeper and deeper the more you played and a compelling story that kept you wanting more. My only complaint was that the game was short and easy on the first play through and long and hard on the second (Hell Mode). I think that the normal mode should have been just a bit harder and the critics never would have mentioned a negative thing about the length of the game. This game sits next to SOTC in my list of "Games ARE Art."

Motorstorm - 8/10
For all the reasons people have mentioned before. Awesome physics, mayhem and speed. This is a FUN game to play with a friend. Score could have been higher IF the AI was less reliant on "Brute Force" and cheap tactics, game came with more tracks out of the box, split screen multiplayer (I know it's not an easy task with a game so processor dependent ) and the online portion wasn't neglected for so long after launch. I have a tendency to "get into" online multiplayer with all the games I get, but the glitching and cheating went unaddressed for so long that when they finally fixed it, I never went back.

COD4 - 9.5/10
Having just got this, I haven't finished the SP or played much MP. But from what I've seen...I know I love it. Buttery smooth, photorealism feel, intense action, great weapons, MP rankups/powerups. IW proved to the rest of the world that you CAN make an excellent multiplatform game. Only complaint so far....stationary grass/plants. :eek:

Oblivion 9/10
Not much to say about this that hasn't been said before. Great game. Worth it's weight in gold.

SOTC - 9.5/10
Having been an X-box guy last gen, I never got to enjoy this gem of a title. During the PS3 game drought at the beginning of the year, I felt compelled to utilize the BC of my 60g. I bought RE4, GOW2, FF12 and found SOTC because of a discussion thread here. A masterpiece of Art, through and through. Simple yet Epic. This is a concept that needs to be emulated. To any of you designers here, make an MMO or online co-op game with giant bosses like this and you are guaranteed a hit.

God of War 2 - 9.5/10
What a way to finish off a Gen. This game was fun from start to finish. A real flagship title in the hack and slash genre.

LocoRoco and Flow 10/10 - I know you said no arcade games, but my wife played these two games and when that happens you get an auto 10 in my book! :cool:

The ones that didn't stay

The Darkness 6/10 - Fooled by videos of the 360 version, I got this for my PS3. Disappointed with the lack of AA and motion blur, the broken "Creeping Dark" , half ass AI of the darklings, slow moving (500lb) feel Jackie, framerate hitches, wonky auto-aim and others I can't recall right now. I traded it off within days.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma - 8/10 60 fps, cool weapons and some decent graphics but this game got very hard and the checkpoints/save spots were frustrating

Assassins Creed - 7/10 Freezing, poor framerates and screen tearing on the PS3 version were the straw that broke the camels back. I enjoyed the beautiful art and scenic vistas in this game. The first few assassinations were very fun and enough for me to try to ignore the technical issues but when the game got repetitive, it just wasn't fun anymore.

Tiger Woods 07 - 7/10 - Same old, same old

Marvel Ultimate Alliance - 5/10 Got it because it was one of the first 1080p games. Learned that 1080p can't save a boring game with a bad camera;)

Dark Kingdom - 5/10 Obviously rushed for launch. The stationary art, bad voice and terrible story were on par with the lackluster hack and slash game play

Resistance 9,5

The single player is excellent on superhuman. All the guns are very different from each other and you have to use the right one in the right situation to get through it. It take's a lot of experimenting to find the right strategies, and gives the game a lot of variety. I have played through it 6 times and its still fun to play. Online is even better. 40 player maps and no lagg. The clan support is very good. Playing clanwars against other good clans is probably the most fun i have had playing games. I have played 2500 games online and finally quit when the clan moved to other games. I cant wait for Resistance 2.

Ratchet & Clank 9,0

Very good game. It has lots of good humour and is fun to play. Beat it 3 times before i went back to playing other unfinished games.

Back