Half life 1

The Half-Life 2 bit isn't bad, but Ep1 and Ep2 are very, very slow. Might be worth an FPS analysis against the 360 version actually...

I don't have a x360, so my options are limited. I'm just hopeful that the framerate in the single player story mode (the only part of the game I'm interested in) is playable and not a distraction.

It doesn't have to be KillZone2 smooth, but it would be nice if it holds up most of the time.

Speaking of which - has anyone played Half Life 2 on the PS3? I know the multiplayer stuff is catastrophically bad (accoarding to reviews), but I can't quite figur out if the game is worth buying for the single player experience? It's one of the games I always wanted to play, but don't have a good enough PC for it.

It's very cheap at the moment, so I'm wondering if I should go for it...

I found the game kinda difficult with a 360 pad and in my experience the DualShock is even less friendly to FPSs. It wasn't unplayable or anything, but some parts felt a little too fast paced without a mouse (those really fast zombies that jump around on all fours).

I don't have a x360, so my options are limited. I'm just hopeful that the framerate in the single player story mode (the only part of the game I'm interested in) is playable and not a distraction.

It doesn't have to be KillZone2 smooth, but it would be nice if it holds up most of the time.

Honestly, it's not nearly as bad as it's made out to be. If your PC sucks, and you don't have an Xbox, shell out the whole $10 - $20 and get it on PS3. It's not a perfect experience, but it's certainly not broken. TF2 even plays fine.

Thanks for the info.

BTW: I love the DS3/Sixaxis for FPS, so that's the least of my worries. I think I'll get it!

The Half-Life 2 bit isn't bad, but Ep1 and Ep2 are very, very slow. Might be worth an FPS analysis against the 360 version actually...

Yeah, I remember reading your original article on the PS3 version a while back. I was surprised by a few things most notably the mention of how bad the PS3 version was in Ep1 and 2. In fact, most of Ep1 is in tighter, more enclosed spaces than HL2 is so I wonder what went wrong?

A frame rate analysis would be great though. :smile:

What kind of PC do you have? If I recall correctly, it will run decently on a pretty old machine if you turn off all the fancy effects.

:oops: Well, to be honest, it's not the PC that's the problem (actually it's a decent 2.8 GHz dualcore, but it's used as a Linux server). What's left is my pride and joy - being one of the last quality IBM thinkpad laptops with 1.6 GHz and 512 MB Ram which is now about 5 years old... I'm actually happy if I can run HL1 more or less....... (I actually tried it out once!)

So no, I can pretty much forget getting the PC version. Besides, my gaming on PC has completely ended, I only fancy playing games using a dualshock... :D

Back