Gran Turismo PSP

Awesome find and clear explanation! I would be curious to know if there are other PSP games using this tech as well.

manux said:
A form of blurring that is fairly annoying while playing.
Blurring is the result of LCD screen regardless - camera subpixel offset shifting doesn't blur anything in the slightest (there's thousands of PS2 games that testify to that fact, among other things).

Blurring is the result of LCD screen regardless - camera subpixel offset shifting doesn't blur anything in the slightest (there's thousands of PS2 games that testify to that fact, among other things).

At least to my taste what I see on gran turismo psp warrants the word horrible. My first reaction when playing was, "I didn't remember the display being this awfull before on other games".

Edit. I have the europe lauch version of psp if it makes any difference for the amount of ghosting seen.

Edit. I have the europe lauch version of psp if it makes any difference for the amount of ghosting seen.

Yep, this one has about the worst ghosting available. It's even worse than the Japanese launch unit. People that have both the Go and this PSP have told me that the ghosting is completely gone on the Go. I didn't find it an issue while playing though, only noticed it while watching a replay. And it's most definitely ghosting, not blur.

anux said:
"I didn't remember the display being this awfull before on other games".
Ghosting tends to depend on color-mix displayed (certain colors on PSP screen have much slower response then others), but with games that mimic realism you don't really have much freedom to adjust color palette to minimize it.

Arwin said:
And it's most definitely ghosting, not blur.
It does serve the same purpose though (blending frames together). Speaking of which, I wonder how this "temporal AA" looks on PSPs with faster screens.

Yep, this one has about the worst ghosting available. It's even worse than the Japanese launch unit. People that have both the Go and this PSP have told me that the ghosting is completely gone on the Go. I didn't find it an issue while playing though, only noticed it while watching a replay. And it's most definitely ghosting, not blur.

Sounds great, I think I need to visit local sony style to test pspgo and decide if I want to upgrade.

I have a launch PSP and IMHO the "AA" in GT works particularly well on it because of the rather large latency. The edge quality (of somewhat stationary objects) is better than in any other PSP game. Of course you can always turn it off if you dislike the effect.

I picked this up because of Fry's $20 sale.It's strangely addicting. How will the car unlocking work with GT5? Are PSP saves locked? I'm not a good driver either, the C challenges are impossible for me right now.

So D-pad or nub?

I picked this up because of Fry's $20 sale.It's strangely addicting. How will the car unlocking work with GT5? Are PSP saves locked? I'm not a good driver either, the C challenges are impossible for me right now.

So D-pad or nub?

D-pad, of course! :)

you upload data to GT5 through the options menu. I wonder how it's going to work since you seem to be able to accumulate credits much faster that in GT4. Maybe they will limit the number of cars you can bring over.

I can't believe Fry's had this for $20! Oh well, at least I didn't have to go all the way down to Palo Alto to get it.

Just got this free with my PSP Go purchase and I had to comment on the image quality in the game it really is fantastic for a PSP title. The temporal AA that was discovered in this thread really does a terrific job of cleaning up the image, its only the 16 bit rendering that really lets the title down graphically imo.

Anyone have any theories why no other PSP titles seem to use this form of AA considering how well it works in GT? Aliasing, especially texture aliasing/shimmering can really detract from the visuals in some PSP titles, Motorstorm is one title in particular where its particularly bad despite being a really impressive title otherwise.

Back