EvolutionStudio's World Rally Championship 3 [PS2]

Phil

wipEout bastard
Veteran
Sounds really good, might have to pick this up:

wrc3large2.jpg

Welcome to WRC3 The Official Game of the FIA World Rally Championship, a revolution in Rally gaming. Developed by Evolution Studios, WRC3 recreates the grit and realism of rally on PlayStation 2, bringing to life the raw exhilaration of the rally experience.
Evolution Studios have broken technological boundaries with the special effects in WRC3. Shrapnel particle emitters allow for bodywork and glass to come flying off the cars and a more detailed collision and damage model further intensifies the action. Additionally, working in-car instrumentation, enhanced car handling models and a new artificial intelligence system for driving computer controlled cars adds to the authenticity of the experience.
WRC3 builds upon the expansive environments and elements of its predecessors. All race locations have been populated with buildings, signs and other architectural features such as bridges and tunnels specific to each rally. Roadsides buzz with animated crowds who will react to on-track action. True-to-life junctions have been incorporated to allow realistic crossings of roads and rivers, forcing the player to listen more closely to their co-drivers pace notes. An even wider variety of different surface types within each stage, along with improved camera flares, lens droplets and embossed tyre trails all combine to make WRC III the most immersive rally experience available.

Thus ends the press release and here starts the hard-core, hands on review. Are you tired of being told by marketing people that such and such a racing game is the ultimate? Are you tired of being bombarded by quotes from various press outlets that this particular racing game or that particular racing game pushes the envelope? Are you basically sick of the hype? Well buckle yourselves in people as this little writer delves into a no-holds barred, teflon coated, no bullshit review of what could well be a defining moment in auto-gaming history. Before I delve right into the guts of what makes this one hell of a good game, let me fill you in on the people who created it. Trust me, a couple more paragraphs and I'll reveal why WRC3 is a must own title.

THE PEOPLE RESPONSIBLE!
Evolution Studios was established in 1999 by the former directors of two of Europes principal entertainment software developers. Martin Kenwright, founder and key creative force behind Digital Image Design and Ian Hetherington, co-founder and erstwhile Managing Director of Psygnosis shared a common view of the development process and set up Evolution Studios to focus on the core values that first motivated them to bring immersive, compelling games software to the public.
Evolution Studios is an evolving, dynamic business based in the Cheshire countryside and is dedicated to setting new benchmarks for interactive entertainment and the application of cutting edge technology with every piece of software they produce.
Evolution Studios has recruited a dream team of development talent, not just from within the games industry but from a variety of technical and creative disciplines. The firms approach to development shares many similarities with the movie industry. The core development team on a project is deliberately kept small and focussed, enabling Evolution Studios to involve the very best people from the areas it needs at any time; peripheral areas like special effects or animation for example, where the best talent of the moment may lie outside the games industry. The company invests significant time into pre-production and planning of both the creative and technical aspects of its products and the team believes that the fun they have developing the products shows through in the final game. So as you can see, the folk at Evolution Studios take themselves and their games very, very seriously. Unlike those fools at Krazy Klown Studios...just joking!

SO WHAT'S IT WHEELY LIKE?
In this humble writers opinion, the defining moment in rally games came when I first played Colin McRae rally on the original PlayStation. The sheer delight of careening your vehicle through snow, ice, mud and gravel like you were doing it in real life was indescribable. The handling of the car was unmatched in any rallying game beforehand. For the first time ever, saying that you were "living" the game was an accurate description. Those of you that are die-hard racing fans will know what I mean here. Well that's the feeling I got when I first took control of the Lancer EVO in WRC3. Only, the feeling was better. But let me digress a little and cast your minds back to the release of WRC2 last year. While the terrain was beautiful and the car models were incredibly detailed, the vehicles had this unfortunate trait of handling like drunk shopping trolleys. Thankfully the kind people at Evolution Studios have listened to the feeback of over a million fans and have nailed the handling of the cars in WRC3. So much so that WRC3 makes even the polished Colin McRae Rally 4 seem like a goat race in Marrakesh. You know that feeling you get in Gran Turismo 3 when you're racing in an endurance race and it feels like you're actually racing in real life? When you hurtle your car around a corner and you can FEEL the corner? Well that's what it feels like when you're fanging around the tracks in WRC3.

NOW THAT'S A RALLY GOOD VIEW!
The tracks themselves are faithful recreations of the real tracks out of the FIA World Championship and they're also some of the most beautifully made racing tracks you're likely to find anywhere. Such detail has been put into the courses that people passing by the television while you're playing will often think you're actually watching a rally. And it's a hair raising ride on some of the courses, especially the European races where you're hooning about on icy roads that are barely the width of your vehicle and that have a sheer drop off a cliff right beside you. Crowds gathered by the road will whoop and holler when you go racing past and the game takes a delightful turn when you have to navigate your way through townships.

BANG FOR YOUR BUCK!
So the big question that remains is what do you get for your dollar in WRC3? Well for starters you get all elements of the Official FIA WRC license for the 2003 season, including the teams, new versions of the cars, liveries, sponsors and drivers, countries (including the all-new Rally of Turkey) and stages. There's the complete cast of 21 different cars plus 48 performance variants. There's a swag of different game modes as well including Quick Start, Time Trial, Single Rally, Chamionship and Head to Head. Unfortunately there's not going to be any online component with WRC3 but hey, who needs it right? WRC3 is the most comprehensive and enjoyable rallying game that has ever graced our planet. If at this stage you still don't believe me then have a bo-peep at the videos below which will knock you over. All of them are pretty big in file size but well worth the wait!

WRC03_Large_06.jpg

WRC03_Large_89.jpg

It seems they have finally resolved the handling issues they had with WRC2. Copple this with the official FIA WRC license and I think this might be THE game next to Gran Turismo 4 to look out for on PS2.

Still some doubts - check out these two videos (fairly large in size, but worth the download IMO):

http://au.playstation.com/assets/downloads/videos/wrc3_finland.mov

http://au.playstation.com/assets/downloads/videos/wrc3_france.mov

Who else is looking forward to this? 8)

Someone called? *raising hand* (^___^ )/

EDIT: WRC2 had no bad handling, once I learned to A). fear the walls B). stay away from the walls and C). stay on the road ... I managed to finish pro-mode with 1st place at ~150 points (2nd place followed with ~100 points)

I had a chance to play this game at the Playstation Experience in Oslo, Norway this weekend and I was very impressed :)
The handling feels better than in WRC2, and the cars really feel very heavy. The damage-model is better than last year and there are more details in general, both on the cars and in the environment. This time, the crowds move, and there are camera-men who actually follow your car with thier cameras :D The view-distance looked to be even better than in WRC2 and there are more trees too.

I think this is The rallygame on PS2. Its just a shame they left out the online-component, but I heard they will definately do WRC4 online :)

BTW, at the PS Experience you could try a 1 on 1 against Henning Solberg, the big brother of the new World Champion from Norway, Petter Solberg :D He was amazingly good and as far as I know, not a single person could beat him :p

Cool! Sindre, thanks for that report.

Oh, btw nice interview :

uk.playstation.com said:
Martin Kenwright shares his WRC3 pacenotes

The charismatic Evolution Studios supremo recently revealed WRC3 to the press at the Rallye de France in Corsica. We were there for the ride.

Martin Kenwright has been involved in the UK games industry for well over a decade; first at the now defunct Digital Image Design, where he worked on flight sims such as Ocean's F29 Infiltrator, and the brilliantly named Wargasm (we like our puns here at PlayStation.com), and more recently heading up Evolution Studios, the creators of the hugely successful WRC series on PS2. Not only that, but he once let an uninsured buddy try out his Ferrari, which was promptly totalled. What a legend.

Evolution's garage of busy coding mechanics is twiddling the final nuts and bolts on WRC3, ready for the game's launch in November 2003. Sounds like a good excuse to fly out to Corsica and watch the real thing, then, as well as witness the final of the WRCII Extreme Challenge (more of that on PlayStation.com soon). Topping the whole thing off with a presentation of the new game - which is looking extraordinary - it's been a busy few days for Kenwright. But that didn't stop us cornering him for a quick chat about the new game...

How do you feel the day has gone?

I can't complain, can I? I think it's gone really well. People are getting really interested in the rally itself, it's so close... everyone's had a really good time, and the game has been really well received. You always want to be confident, but we're never conceited enough to take things for granted. But I think people appreciate what we've attempted to do. 95 percent of it is the execution, but it's the remaining little touches that others might not have thought of that people really admire.

We are trying to be different, it's so easy to be like everybody else and, you know, worry about the business model and use this bit of technology and that. But we just decide... what game are we making, how are we going to build it... right, let's go for it.

That's a nice position to be in, to be able to do that.

Well, it's not really, 'cos it causes havoc for the publisher, because there's nothing to see during development. We're rewriting renderers every year, just because we know what's left in the PS2. I mean, there's loads left to go in it. And because we're writing exclusively for PlayStation 2, we're not encumbered with the problems of conversion and optimisation [for different formats]. We can... well, I'll be really candid, we can blow everyone out the water in terms of rendering performance.

I'm amazed, I mean we draw 120,000 trees in the world at any one time. 120,000 objects rather, whether they're trees or not... the technology allows us to fulfil our dream, our vision, and it's that coming together in WRC3.

Is that why you build the worlds in the way you do, massive areas with the track carved across them?

Well, we use real terrain data and build tracks through it. But the footprint is tiny, it only uses about a tenth or twentieth of the memory of a normal game for the same sort of terrain. The objects in it use more memory, but make it look more photorealistic. We also have 32 bit colour, which gives us this photographic look in places, loads of depth. So we've got a proper convergence of loads of technology.

It's the only rally game with the official WRC licence. What's the advantage of that aside from the logo?

Well, it can swing both ways. There's things where we have a moral responsibility of what we can't do with the game. You know, if we didn't have the license we could kill loads of spectators! But, it does bring us a load of valuable expertise and knowledge, and it allows us to give it that level of officialdom, because at the end of the day we're emulating the World Rally Championship, we don't want to try and create some fictitious event. So we just copied the rally, and the FIA [the sport's governing body] are great, we can have all the official cars, drivers, locations... all the authenticity. People love that.

People also want a great playing game, so we take no chances. They want a great looking game, so we take no chances and do all three. Each year, you know... blah blah blah! [laughs]

Last year, you told us that the first WRC "was a shakedown, the second is assertion, and the third one will be a showcase". So, a year on, how do you feel you've done?

You know, we always think we can make our games better, we beat ourselves up pretty badly, probably more than we should. This third one, we've showed what we're capable of. We want to technically leave everything else behind now, in terms of technology, in terms of scope, scale and size. And the outlook is incredibly optimistic. People might not be worrying about this game really redefining the bar, I think it's what's coming that's going to really surprise the hell out of people.

Do you mean on this generation of hardware, or PS3?

This generation. You know, people ask what's the most difficult thing to do. The technology's quantifiable, it's our wishlist that's the most difficult thing to do, and the amount of time we have to do it in. We always overcommit, we always try and put more in than we should. Which makes SCEE [WRC's publisher] nervous!

We always leave the marketing late because there's nothing to see until the last minute, because we're rewriting the game. We think the market demands it. We think the market takes a dim view of paying £40 for something with just a few extra tracks and the same bit of technology all over again.

One of the changes you've made to WRC3 is the handling, which you say is accessible, yet has more depth. How have you gone about that?

We love the handling now. Rally cars are very much point and shoot, they can slide sideways, and it's all about technique... but we've created a great level of pick up and play that flatters people. What we did last time, we had it a little bit too hard for some people, we'll hold our hands up, there were a few frustrations. But we've listened to people, it's the first thing we addressed, we said "Let's make this handling the business". I struggle with many other handling models out there, there's either too much understeer, or not enough raw excitement.

The evolutions we've made make the handling more challenging and more realistic... I mean, seeing the challenge finalists playing the new game, watching them play... they're turning around and going, "****ing 'ell!" We live up in Runcorn, so we don't really get out much [laughs], so it's good to have people from around the world have a proper look, and even have Citroen coming up and saying "****ing 'ell!"

Where do you think the future of WRC games lies? Using technology to make it a more realistic visual representation, or are there other areas you want to explore?

Well, I think it's about realistic representation but it's also about what constitutes a rally game. You can follow the tried and tested, worn formula, but now it's time to try something different.

What's that?

I can't tell you. Because we're planning it as we speak. And that's not the rhetoric, or the bull, it really is... we're onto something big here, and we want to continue this momentum (from WRC3). But I don't want to detract anything from WRC3, because we're proud of it... I'm waiting for the letters about who's going to get divorced from their wives, kids who skip school, and blame it all on us!

Damn, this month is very expensive. Games I will get:

THE SIMPSONS: HIT AND RUN
TRUE CRIME - THE STREETS OF L.A.
WRC 3
RATCHET & CLANK 2
PRINCE OF PERSIA - THE SANDS OF TIME
MANHUNT
NEED FOR SPEED - UNDERGROUND
KYA - DARK LINEAGE
EYE TOY: GROOVE

Not to mention the time I need to play them. ;)

Fredi

My list is quite different

Already bought:
US RS3 (GC)
Siren (PS2)
SRW:SC (PS2)
Mario Kart DD (GC)
Axel Impact (PS2)

Going to buy:
Evangelion 2 (PS2)
Xenosaga Episode I reloaded (PS2)
R:Racing Evolution (PS2/X-BOX)
Minna no golf 4 (PS2)
Onimusha Buraiden (PS2)
Kamen Raida (PS2)
PGR 2 (X-BOX)

Expensive, really expensive. Next month is also an expensive month.

Yes I know, I have a PAL PS2 for PAL games and I am also interested in some of the games in your list.

Like WRC3, R&C2 and EyeToy: Groove (I have EyeToy: Play).

I wonder if R&C2 and WRC3 will have 60Hz output, if they support progressive they will only be better.

maskrider said:
Yes I know, I have a PAL PS2 for PAL games and I am also interested in some of the games in your list.

Like WRC3, R&C2 and EyeToy: Groove (I have EyeToy: Play).

I wonder if R&C2 and WRC3 will have 60Hz output, if they support progressive they will only be better.

if WRC3 does, i'm sold even more than i was before.

[quote="maskrider")
[/quote]

RC2 : yes

WRC3 : unlikely

about R&C2, i read a PAL review and it said it does NOT support 60Hz (therefore Pro-scan). Also the Official PS2 mag UK said it does not support them....
which is weird since JAK2 did support them...

WRC3 in pro-scan would be awesome...

Not being 60Hz is not a problem since all the WRC games have been programmed thinking in the PAL standard.
Since PS2 is unable to do 60Hz PAL (it does 60Hz NTSC or 50Hz PAL), the WRC games play at PAL 50Hz which means extra-resolution and since the games have been programmed for the PAL standard there is no skipping of frames.

I'm aware of that, but 60Hz is always welcome....
And Pro-scan adds to the value a lot, in my eyes. All of the first party UK developers have in fact included both in their games, (The Getaway, Primal, Ghosthunter etc) and it would be nice to have WRC3 in pro-scan.

WRC3 is not exactly one of Sony's studios like Studio Soho or Studio Cambridge are so i guess we'll have to wait and see....

london-boy said:
I'm aware of that, but 60Hz is always welcome....
And Pro-scan adds to the value a lot, in my eyes. All of the first party UK developers have in fact included both in their games, (The Getaway, Primal, Ghosthunter etc) and it would be nice to have WRC3 in pro-scan.

In fact, the only companies reluctant to adopt 60Hz are EA and Square. Just says a lot about customer respect.

Back