KAZUNORI ON GRAN TURISMO 4 interview

hey69

i have a monster
Veteran
GT next-gen, PSP and more from the head of Polyphony Digital - the full unexpurgated story inside

16:09 With Gran Turismo 4 Prologue currently lighting up the UK charts, there couldn't be a more appropriate time to review our very own GT4 E3 coverage and have a quick rustle in our extensive bundle of taped goodies.
And what do you know? We've dug up an exclusive interview with gaming rock god Kazunori Yamauchi, head of Polyphony Digital's Gran Turismo team. We joined him for a rare one-on-one chat about GT4, the prospects for PSP and his hopes for GT games on the next generation of consoles.

Check this out.

Interview by Johnny Minkley

One of the things you've announced at E3 is the new photo mode for Gran Turismo 4 - Could you tell us about that?

Kazunori: There are a number of reasons. The first is because the data that GT has is over specified compared to the output you would get on a TV monitor. It's very high quality. I first thought about the mode three years ago and planned for the future.

Of course I also really like photography personally in addition to loving cars; I wanted to provide a mode in which you can provide the absolute quality available in GT in some form and photo mode was the solution.

We gather you can trade your own images online with other users. Do you see this as a fundamental part of creating an online community for the game?

Kazunori:This may not be one of the core aspects of the online segment, but because the data size of the images is so small, they can be exchanged at low bandwidth. And so it will be one of the many interesting features for the online community.

Have you been onto the E3 showfloor to see what kind of reaction the game is getting? How do you feel about it?

Kazunori: Unfortunately I haven't had much time to visit the showfloor yet and see the reaction. However even with limited time, I am very surprised to see so many people in the GT area and I also noticed a lot people trying photo mode for themselves and actually trying to do the printouts, regardless of the fact that it takes quite a while to get the printout.

People didn't seem to mind waiting to get the final image and I really feel the loyalty of the people visiting the booth; I'm very thankful for it.

Is it difficult to relax with such high expectations from GT4's many fans?

Kazunori: Although I seem to have very little time to myself with the busy development schedule, I do occasionally find the time to go out and drive a car in real life out on the highways of Tokyo. Those are the times when I can relax, forget about work and just enjoy the time spent behind the wheel.

What do you think will be judged the single greatest achievement of Gran Turismo 4?

Kazunori: It's a difficult question because I always aim for a over 100 percent in all aspects of any game I create. However if I had to pick one I would have to say the actual driving simulation is its greatest achievement.

With the next generation of technology almost upon us, how do you hope to use that to push the envelope of the driving genre?

Kazunori: Let's take the category of car physics: currently in GT4 on the PS2, the calculations for car physics are done sixty times a second, the same as the framerate. But with the next generation coming and higher specifications, we think this could change to 300 times per second or even 600 times per second.

Those changes will be significant in how players relate to car physics, car simulation and feedback. Another aspect is the graphics: for GT4 it's nice, it's very pretty... For a game.

Yes, just a little...

Kazunori: But again in the next generation the target will obviously be to bring that to another stage, another step, where it will be prettier than reality. What I mean by that is, for example, take the environment and atmosphere seen in the Grand Canyon course. There's times when you can see the same scenery with perfect lighting and maybe only once in a hundred years do you see something like that.

We have the advantage of being able to provide that in a virtual world and that supercedes reality in those terms. We hope to recreate a very beautiful atmosphere with the advantages of next generation technology.

What do you think of the PSP and the possibility of bringing the GT series onto it?

Kazunori: Regarding the PSP, I'm very intrigued by the PSP itself as an object. It's very intriguing, very appealing.

Of course I would hope to release GT4 on PSP as soon as possible, but at the same time at full specification. What I don't want to do is lower the specification or remove features to fit it onto a handheld. I want to make sure it's a full specification GT4 on a handheld console.

Are you confident that can be achieved?

Kazunori: Currently yes.

Finally, many have tried to recreate the success of the GT series but they have failed to live up to its extremely high standards. What is the secret of your success?

Kazunori: I can't be sure; it's a difficult question. But the team and I have always concentrated on improvements, always constant improvements, and this has been carried forward with GT4. It's been ten years now and I think this has grown to a state where the constant aim to improve has become a natural feature of the team. That may be the answer.

But you still love cars, even after all this time?

Kazunori: I think that might be the real answer to your previous question! [laughs]

source CVG

^ ^ Well, they can refresh physics info once every 400000000th of a frame, but in the end, if people still ahev to use a controller, that aint gonna change much, if at all, to the final experience...
In the end GT will become so real that we might as well go out and drive a real car, much more fun anyway. Although it might not be a brand spaking new TVR...

imagine GT15 on ps5 with a 360° screen around you, hydroulics under your seat, Forcefeedbactrueracingreplica(TM) racing weel .. to experience the REAL driving emotion.... hm.. damn...
ergh, back to work

Kazunori: Let's take the category of car physics: currently in GT4 on the PS2, the calculations for car physics are done sixty times a second, the same as the framerate. But with the next generation coming and higher specifications, we think this could change to 300 times per second or even 600 times per second.

300-600 frames per second wow thats insane! :)
[/b]

Doesn't WipeOut Fusion already calculate the player input some 120 times per second. It doesn't have much physics though.

300-600 frames? What would that require of the next gen input device? What is the rate of DS2?

qwerty2000 said:

[/b]

Errrm no, qwerty, he's talking about the physics calculations.... not framerate...

hm, reading that article concerning GT4 PsP... don't count on launchday GT4 then.

it looks like they just explored the hardware or somehting

rabidrabbit said:
300-600 frames? What would that require of the next gen input device? What is the rate of DS2?

As noted, it's not about frames but Hz. While a high-sampling input device would be the obvious one, there are other benefits to this: One can use a less-stable but more accurate solver (i.e. one that requires a lower CFL-number).

One of the things you've announced at E3 is the new photo mode for Gran Turismo 4 - Could you tell us about that?

Kazunori: There are a number of reasons. The first is because the data that GT has is over specified compared to the output you would get on a TV monitor. It's very high quality.
Ironic that this is the game which addresses that issue considering it uses a half-height display buffer and therefore doesn't overshoot NTSC as much as other racing games.

Lazy8s said:

Kazunori: There are a number of reasons. The first is because the data that GT has is over specified compared to the output you would get on a TV monitor. It's very high quality.
Ironic that this is the game which addresses that issue considering it uses a half-height display buffer and therefore doesn't overshoot NTSC as much as other racing games.

GT4 use a full height buffer, it said yamauchi in one old interview.

GT4 supposedly uses full height buffers, although i must say, GT4 Prologue shows just as much shimmering as GT3, maybe improved a little. Shimmering is there big time, i'm not sure why it's still there, i'm not sure why such a high profile game doesn't support Pro-scan, i'm not sure if earth is round...

london-boy said:
qwerty2000 said:

[/b]

Errrm no, qwerty, he's talking about the physics calculations.... not framerate...

It's a numeric stability issue. Your much better off integrating over small time steps.

I'd bet that a lot of the behaviour people consider to be realistic in the GT series is a direct result of numeric instability. The PS2 versions are a lot better than the PS1 game, but it still demonstrates significant problems in places.

The last racing game I worked on ran the physics at 300Hz. The actual rate was arbitrary, and more because it divides by both 50 and 60 than for any particular reason.

The frame rate of the simulation is only part of the issue. In and of itself it doesn't tell you anything, the quality of the integrator is the other.

The last racing game I worked on ran the physics at 300Hz. The actual rate was arbitrary, and more because it divides by both 50 and 60 than for any particular reason.
Hey, I thought you mentioned running springs at 3000hz once? Or was that a typo? :p

Anyway, what ERP said, numeric stability is where it's at. We run parts of the simulation at 240hz, and others at 60hz... Technically it could all 'work' at 60hz, but the experience just isn't the same.

The frame rate of the simulation is only part of the issue. In and of itself it doesn't tell you anything, the quality of the integrator is the other.
No doubt - our previous integrator needed near double the framerate to run comparably stable to what we've ended up using in the end.

Fafalada said:
Hey, I thought you mentioned running springs at 3000hz once? Or was that a typo? :p

No, not a typo, but only the engine model (including the clutch) was iterating at that rate. No collision detection/response in there so it's cheap.

ERP said:
No collision detection/response in there so it's cheap
Yeah I know, the engine model is also included in the part we iterate at 240hz. For some reason I just thought you also iterated springs(suspensions and stuff) at that rate :p

Fafalada said:
ERP said:
No collision detection/response in there so it's cheap
Yeah I know, the engine model is also included in the part we iterate at 240hz. For some reason I just thought you also iterated springs(suspensions and stuff) at that rate :p

At one point I did, but I isolated it from the collision system for the period of the outer integration, it felt really pretty good, but it caused as many problems as it fixed.

I spent a lot of time messing around with integrators, and about all I can say about the is that precision and stability are not related in the slightest. In the end the best solution is to express the problem in a stable way (i.e. pick your free coordinates carefully).

I've always felt that an implicit integrator was the way to go for these type of problems, they cannot diverge but the solution costs are prohibitive.

hey69 said:
imagine GT15 on ps5 with a 360° screen around you, hydroulics under your seat, Forcefeedbactrueracingreplica(TM) racing weel .. to experience the REAL driving emotion.... hm.. damn...
ergh, back to work

umh... I hate say this but I got really strong deja vue here. I remember myself wondering with my friends same kind of things about Test Drive series around 15-16 years ago. and yes, we were talking about Test Drive games with sequel numbering passing 10... That never happened and it's unofficial successor Need For Speed -series (yes, The Need For Speed was done by the same development house as Test Drive 1-3.) is now it's 8th incarnation (as NFS Underground 2.) while EA has already stated that they are investigating features for 9th version.

it might sound a good idea right now having GT12 or 18 or anything passing 10, but trust me... when that gets closer, you start hoping that series would have been killed off a way before and instead of just making old better, they would have released something completely new.

Nappe1, as a voice of guy with 18 richful years of gaming.

Back