Gran Turismo 7 [PS4, PS5]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
They are certainly using their old engine, updated.
We won't see big shifts in graphics as long as devs only update old engines.
Look at dying light 2, it screams last gen assets everywhere.
Once new engines really leverage new gen features like UE5, the leap will be very visible.

All I know is that my brother is going to go bonkers with the livery editor. I gave him my PS4 last year March and he already has 424 car liveries that he created.

I missed the Sports Computer. :D Glad I will be able to buy one for my cars again. I never owned a PS1/2/3 so missed out much with the tuning but the few times I did visit my sister or brother, I was able to play and modify my car like I wanted.

Reactions: snc
BFEFE543-E883-4700-AE0-A-CC12-A050-C74-E.gif

2014. Never forget :love:

Holy Molly! Watch that in a small window, it looks like a recoding of a real life place.

What kind of black magic and blood sacrifice the driveclub team did those many years ago? The shuttering of their studio so abruptly... And then the removal of the games from PSN.

So they didn't get absorbed to polyphony digital?

Perhaps, while i do think cross-gen has to do with it, it cant be the sole reason either. Theres other cross-gen games that take better advantage of newer hardware. The implementation of RT could have ment some normal rendering tradeoffs aswell, ontop of that their going for 60fps above 1080p which doesnt seem all that easy said and done looking at other titles. You can only do so much with a 2.3x hw increase over last gen (pro) as DF has spoken about. Most games seem to scale according to the increase we got (10-ish TF).

Not everyone, some do. Youtube, fb etc you see people blaming cross-gen for the smallest leap ever for a generational GT shift.

Its the 4k poison.

If they chase 1080p60 (with DLSS, XeSS, FSR, or other upscaling shenanigans to 4k) instead of native (or really close to native) 4k, they should be able to achieve much better visuals.

It will be interesting to see what kind of asset scaling they will be able to do in PS5 vs PS4.

For me the same game as GT Sport but with the lighting completely real-time with day night cycle and varying weather is already a tremendous improvement and will have a big impact on the graphics.

Some of the shots here show a significant detail upgrade for the scenery to boot. Looking forward to the final game and see where they go from there. Also with the graphics options etc.

I’m seeing a lot of potential for VR too, what with a lot more things being actual 3D and happening in 3D spaces. So let’s hope that’s also a thing.

Oh and also really curious to the controller support. I can easily gold challenges and licenses with just the motion controls and that has made me lazy to even bother setting up the seat and wheel, so I expect to use that a lot in the future.

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/202...ine-connection-on-ps5-ps4-to-prevent-cheating

Gran Turismo 7 will require an Internet connection. As previously reported, you’ll need to have your console online in order to enjoy single player modes like the campaign and GT Café, as well as features like the livery editor. While it’s not yet clear which modes will be available offline, predecessor GT Sport limited gameplay to just the Arcade mode, which is obviously a fraction of the overall experience.

Asked directly about the reasoning behind this decision, series creator Kazunori Yamauchi explained that it’s to prevent cheating. He insinuated that the only way to ensure save files aren’t hacked or edited is by storing them on Polyphony Digital’s servers, and therefore you’ll need an Internet connection in order to make progress in offline modes. The requirement for the online connection isn't specific to the Cafe per se. It's just to prevent cheating overall from people trying to modify the save data, so that's the reason for the online connection." He continues: "The online connection is required for the campaign mode."

Yamauchi at least explains the arcade mode won't have the online requirement bolted on since it doesn't affect save data. So, if anything requires some sort of save functionality in Gran Turismo 7, you'll need to stay connected in order to access it.

It’s a decision that’s unlikely to be well-received by fans, especially considering a big emphasis of Gran Turismo 7 is on its single player content. To be fair, it looks like it’s going to be worth having your console hooked up: we were treated to an early look at the title this week, and reckon it’s shaping up to be the biggest and best Gran Turismo yet. You can read our impressions through here.

interesting route they are going

Hope they have some alternative to grinding credits... other than buying credits with real money that is. Maybe some nice payouts for online racing.

They are certainly using their old engine, updated.
We won't see big shifts in graphics as long as devs only update old engines.
Look at dying light 2, it screams last gen assets everywhere.
Once new engines really leverage new gen features like UE5, the leap will be very visible.

Eh? No. Just because it's the same engine doesn't mean there can't be generational changes with how the game is rendered.

Just look at GTA IV compared to RDR 2. Both use the same engine. The engine has, of course, received updates which implement new rendering techniques, but RDR 2 isn't using a "new engine".

Plenty of developers do this. How about Naughty Dog with the original Uncharted versus Uncharted 4 versus TLOU and TLOU 2? Same engine, generationally different graphics. Naughty Dog actually stated that it was a mistake when they created a new engine for Uncharted and that they should have just updated their existing engine. Game director Bruce Straley felt like they wasted so much time creating a new engine to use that it set them back a few years graphically compared to where they would have been if they'd just updated their existing engine at the time.

Sometimes it might be a good idea to create or adopt a new engine, but it's not always a good idea (Poor Bioware and ME: Andromeda).

Regards,
SB

Rdr2 was not released on ps360 though, that makes a big difference.

Look at CP2077. On pc it's higher res and has RT etc...but all assets are the same than on last gen.

Rdr2 was not released on ps360 though, that makes a big difference.

Look at CP2077. On pc it's higher res and has RT etc...but all assets are the same than on last gen.

Sure, and the assets in that case have absolutely nothing to do with the engine that is used. :)

Regards,
SB

Yet the game looks a generation apart vs the console versions, according to DF themselfs. So it is possible. We dont know what was holding the devs behind GT7 back, it could be the 60fps/>1080p target/RT, added dynmaic weather etc. And again as DF noted, these boxes aint magic.

at least John is impressed

Ye well, lol. For one, this is on his personal twitter account, where he can claim these things like GTS pwnz Forza (xbox) etc, two, we know his stand.

I was talking about actual DF videos.

Edit: I truly hope he continues with this, it will work against him in the end, and thats all the better for the viewers in the end.

only one month left ;)

Who's going to cover GT7 over at DF? I certainly hope that for a potentional GT7 vs FH comparison we'd see something fair. John has already come to the conclusion that GT Sport PS4 looks better, his mind is set.

" John is impressed by gt7"

No surprise here ;)

Remember also that, on his personal twitter account, he doesnt speak for Digital Foundry. He can make whatever claim or opinion he wants there. Smart idea? Probably not, as people do associate him with Digital Foundry. I'd create another account and out my biases that way, shielding my image and DF from the backlash he's getting from Xbox/FH fans, for example.

If he really thinks that GT Sport looks better already, thats totally fine and up to him, its an opinion. Though, that kinda disqualifies his findings in any comparison he will publish later on in an official DF analysis.

Last edited:
The actual environment models and assets here are still made to run at 60fps on a base PS4, so yeah cross-gen is holding back certain graphical aspects. Polyphony doesn't outsource most of their track development compared to other devs like Guerrilla who depends on outsourcing on the majority of their art pipeline. So with PD's limited man-power you won't be seeing PS5-specific higher LOD models/art like we do with Horizon Forbidden West.

Who's going to cover GT7 over at DF? I certainly hope that for a potentional GT7 vs FH comparison we'd see something fair. John has already come to the conclusion that GT Sport PS4 looks better, his mind is set.

He compared it to Forza Motorsport 7, in which case GTSport did look better.

Back