God of War: Ragnarok [PC, PS4, PS5]

Washington preview:

"It also very much feels like a game built first for the PlayStation 4. The PlayStation 5 features a solid-state drive that many hoped would be the end of loading screen “masks,” essentially gameplay elements that hide when the console is loading assets for the next part of the game. In “God of War,” this often came in the form of squeezing through cracks in walls.
In the first several hours, Kratos and his son Atreus slide through several cracks in several walls at virtually every in-game location. The first disguised loading screen happens less than half an hour in. While Sony first revealed “Ragnarok” as a PS5 title, spending one hour with the game makes it loud and clear this was designed first for the PlayStation 4."

Gotta love crossgen :d

According to the ND dev [Lost Legacy director] those are not crossgen elements, they are basic level design elements.

We willl always have cracks squeezes and boosts because devs will always want to control where players are. We even had squeeze sequence in Lumen in the land of the Nanite tech demo from Epic.

Those things will never fully go away.

This often used squeezing through the walls annoys me regularly because they usually seem very artificially inserted into the game and often repeat themselves over and over again. Developers can also use more subtle methods.. In Star Wars Jedi it felt like it happened a hundred times in one playtrough. Very poorly realised. Also you could go back and forth in Star Wars Jedi.

Last edited:
This often used squeezing through the walls annoys me regularly because they usually seem very artificially inserted into the game and often repeat themselves over and over again. Developers can also use more subtle methods.. In Star Wars Jedi it felt like it happened a hundred times in one playtrough. Very poorly realised. Also you could go back and forth in Star Wars Jedi.

It's still better than the invisible walls or "glowing" artificial light barriers that a lot of games use in order to prevent a player from progressing until the current area is "done."

Sure they could do something like a locked door (really heavily built door that a player couldn't crash through) and the key is on the body of an enemy. But that would also get repetitive if used more than a few times.

I wouldn't mind if they got rid of most of the "arenas" and instead went more open world with enemies able to follow you forever. Kind of like Everquest, but open world, where enemies would and could follow you until you left the map. You always hoped a train of mobs wouldn't run over you if you were in the middle of a big zone and someone yelled out, "TRAIN TO ZONE LINE!"

I hate open world games where all enemies will leash and return back to their spawn. That's even worse, IMO, than the cracks and stuff that GoW: Ragnarok uses. It makes sense that some enemies would leash in an open world (like guards at a guard post or a mother animal protecting her babies), but makes absolutely zero sense for the vast majority of enemies in an open world game. I think it's one of those things that makes me dislike a lot of open world games so much.

Regards,
SB

We even had squeeze sequence in Lumen in the land of the Nanite tech demo from Epic.

That was to demonstrate the close-up rendering fidelity. It was not used to hide loading aspects.

I wouldn't mind if they got rid of most of the "arenas" and instead went more open world with enemies able to follow you forever. Kind of like Everquest, but open world, where enemies would and could follow you until you left the map. You always hoped a train of mobs wouldn't run over you if you were in the middle of a big zone and someone yelled out, "TRAIN TO ZONE LINE!"

I hate open world games where all enemies will leash and return back to their spawn. That's even worse, IMO, than the cracks and stuff that GoW: Ragnarok uses. It makes sense that some enemies would leash in an open world (like guards at a guard post or a mother animal protecting her babies), but makes absolutely zero sense for the vast majority of enemies in an open world game. I think it's one of those things that makes me dislike a lot of open world games so much.

Did you play Call of Prypiat ? :) I swear that everytime someone has a complaint about modern open world design, 99% of times it was resolved superbly in Stalker. The size of the open area, the points of interest, the traversal, micromanagement, enemies, etc, etc. Everything. If you stumble across a mutant in the open fields of Stalker, it will probably follow you forever until one of you dies

We willl always have cracks squeezes and boosts because devs will always want to control where players are. We even had squeeze sequence in Lumen in the land of the Nanite tech demo from Epic. Those things will never fully go away.

Not in Bethesda games. Bethesda don't care where you are, or how physics work. They are rebels for player freedom.

I loved EQ and walking into a zone to be hit in the face with the world's biggest mod train. It was character building! It was part of the fun :yes:

Film industry moved away from day1 releases on physical discs a while back. For big films, digital streaming versions launch much before BDs [Top Gun Maverick streaming on Aug23, DVD/BD on Oct31]. Few more years of digital dominating physical distribution, and who knows, maybe we'll get similar staggered releases for big games. EA has already announced that they will stop distributing physical games in German-speaking territories.

I liked GoW on PS4 pro, but didn't care a lot about the story so i've no real reason to buy the same stuff on PS5. I don't see a lot of changes vs what I played already, gameplay wise or tech wise. I'll wait for a deep sale I guess.

I'm still frustated that they didn't went full PS5 only. GoW was always a spectacle, and now the PS5 is looking like a ps4++ version, which is nice but, well, not impressive/surprising. H:FW did that too but I really cared about the story so I enjoyed the game a lot. It could have been release on PS4 only I would have still bought it. But here... Na... Anyway, I've still a lot of games to finish : o (just finished Like a dragon yesterday, great yakuza entry btw)

Last edited:
I liked GoW on PS4 pro, but didn't care a lot about the story so i've no real reason to buy the same stuff on PS5. I don't see a lot of changes vs what I played already, gameplay wise or tech wise. I'll wait for a deep sale I guess.

I'm still frustated that they didn't went full PS5 only. GoW was always a spectacle, and now the PS5 is looking like a ps4++ version, which is nice but, well, not impressive/surprising. H:FW did that too but I really cared about the story so I enjoyed the game a lot. It could have been release on PS4 only I would have still bought it. But here... Na... Anyway, I've still a lot of games to finish : o (just finished Like a dragon yesterday, great yakuza entry btw)

I"m sure the top tallent at Sony Santa Monica has already been working on a PS5 only title for almost as long as Ragnarok was in development.
This game was never meant to be high investment. It's their equivalent to UC Lost Legacy.

I"m sure the top tallent at Sony Santa Monica has already been working on a PS5 only title for almost as long as Ragnarok was in development.
This game was never meant to be high investment. It's their equivalent to UC Lost Legacy.
Ah no way its same as lost legacy, ragnarok is biggest game lates years, they went crossgen as its new sony trying to capitilize most income they can (and that rather short seeing imo as one of reason ther games are so good rated was pushing hw to it limits).

No 120fps mode. Has 30, 40, 60 fps targets, and an unlocked 60fps target modes.

And IGN correcting their previous 120fps article:
Correction: A previous version of this report incorrectly claimed that God of War Ragnarok is targeting 120fps. Sony has since clarified that God of War Ragnarok syncs to the 120hz mode on some monitors, and is designed to run with an unlocked framerate aiming to stay about 60fps. [ @ IGN Correction ]

A 40+ hours game that took over 4 years of development isn't the equivalent of Lost Legacy lol.

20221103_181908.jpg

No DF video for the moment

Reactions: snc
Back