God of War [PS4, PC]

Yeah I enjoyed the 60fps on PS5 a lot too.

Graphically though the game remains a huge disappointment to me. The art style just doesn’t click.

Went up to 73K today. Not too bad.

It would have done much better concurrently if Monster Hunter Rise didn't also release just before, imo.
This is really low. But the actual sales should be much higher, right? Like 10 times higher?

This is really low. But the actual sales should be much higher, right? Like 10 times higher?
...no it isn't.. not really. The only games which do much better are usually MP focused games, or games with strong MP elements to them.

compa.png

Now consider that other games in that list are in series that have been on PC for years, or have multiple entries, and others are from Sony themselves.. This is the first God of War game on PC.. so this isn't like a Skyrim or GTA5 where the series has a long history with PC gamers. It also unfortunately released right at the same time as Monster Hunter Rise, which is a massive favorite of PC gamers. I think God of War's numbers would have been over 100K if it wasn't for Monster Hunter competing for player's time.

Regardless, Sony essentially has to build up a fanbase for their games on PC. That's what their goal is right now.. to find new players and build up their franchises in a market which doesn't really have any affinity to their games.

Look how Dark Souls has progressed:
darjk.png

When Sony brings Bloodborne and Demon's Souls to PC.. you're going to see MASSIVE numbers for those games, because obviously, those games by that developer already have history on PC and are extremely popular to the PC gaming community. There are rumors that Bloodborne is essentially ready to go, but release was held off until some time after Elden Ring. Demon's Souls will come eventually... that seems fairly obvious to me, it's just good business to do so. Those games are massively popular on PC and it's taken many multiple games to get there. The same will be true with Sony's other franchises. God of War 2 and Horizon 2 will sell better than their predecessors on PC.. especially if they're launched closer following the release of the console versions.

Last edited:
73k sold on Steam in one or two days since release, for a port of a game that was released over two years ago. Its like everyone else says a very impressive number of people playing concurrently.
Yeah i now see why Sony is expanding to the PC platform. Release games even closer or simultainously and you'd see even larger numbers.

...no it isn't.. not really. The only games which do much better are usually MP focused games, or games with strong MP elements to them.

compa.png

Now consider that other games in that list are in series that have been on PC for years, or have multiple entries, and others are from Sony themselves.. This is the first God of War game on PC.. so this isn't like a Skyrim or GTA5 where the series has a long history with PC gamers. It also unfortunately released right at the same time as Monster Hunter Rise, which is a massive favorite of PC gamers. I think God of War's numbers would have been over 100K if it wasn't for Monster Hunter competing for player's time.

Regardless, Sony essentially has to build up a fanbase for their games on PC. That's what their goal is right now.. to find new players and build up their franchises in a market which doesn't really have any affinity to their games.

Look how Dark Souls has progressed:
darjk.png

When Sony brings Bloodborne and Demon's Souls to PC.. you're going to see MASSIVE numbers for those games, because obviously, those games by that developer already have history on PC and are extremely popular to the PC gaming community. There are rumors that Bloodborne is essentially ready to go, but release was held off until some time after Elden Ring. Demon's Souls will come eventually... that seems fairly obvious to me, it's just good business to do so. Those games are massively popular on PC and it's taken many multiple games to get there. The same will be true with Sony's other franchises. God of War 2 and Horizon 2 will sell better than their predecessors on PC.. especially if they're launched closer following the release of the console versions.
All those multiplatform games won't push PS5 custom I/O (the way Ratchet does). Next time if like you say all the big Sony games will be on PC they won't need another highly customized console.

What for? A simple steam box with DirectX API will suffice for PS6. Thankfully Cerny is not a Sony employee, he can do whatever he wants in the future.

All those multiplatform games won't push PS5 custom I/O (the way Ratchet does). Next time if like you say all the big Sony games will be on PC they won't need another highly customized console.

What for? A simple steam box with DirectX API will suffice for PS6. Thankfully Cerny is not a Sony employee, he can do whatever he wants in the future.

Very hard to understand what you mean with all this. Very cryptic. Anyway, highly customized (RDNA2/5700XT with RT units, cut down zen2 cpu and a slower than whats available to pc's nvme solution). Its not the PS2 emotion engine days anymore.
R&C doesnt move all that much data, and even if it did, that wont be really a problem for future ports to the pc anyway.

73k sold on Steam in one or two days since release, for a port of a game that was released over two years ago. Its like everyone else says a very impressive number of people playing concurrently.
Yeah i now see why Sony is expanding to the PC platform. Release games even closer or simultainously and you'd see even larger numbers.
It sold FAR MORE than 73K haha... That's concurrent numbers. They're without a doubt over 500K sales so far with this game.

Yeah, no one would be stupid enough to buy a console when you can just wait 4-5 years for them to put out a PC version!

Yes. Steamspy estimates between 500k to 1 million copies sold in the first 2 days.

If it sold a million copies in a couple of days, Sony will definitely say something. They generally wait for a good sales milestone before commenting though, so suppose it's on 1.2m they would wait for 1.5m or 2m depending on the sales trajectory over time.

If it sold a million copies in a couple of days, Sony will definitely say something. They generally wait for a good sales milestone before commenting though, so suppose it's on 1.2m they would wait for 1.5m or 2m depending on the sales trajectory over time.

I can't remember since I don't pay a lot of attention to these things, but did they make any announcements WRT HZD sales? Although I guess that one didn't sell quite as quickly as GOW 2018 is selling, so maybe they didn't see a reason. I know they mentioned good sales in some interviews, but I can't recall if they tweeted about it or anything.

Also, those are just copies sold on Steam. It's also available on EGS, although I can't imagine it selling nearly as well on EGS.

Regards,
SB

I can't remember since I don't pay a lot of attention to these things, but did they make any announcements WRT HZD sales?
Not that google could find, only some third party estimates. Nor have PC sales been mentioned in any Sony financial report to date, even in the most recent 2021 Q2 supplemental report from 28th October Sony only reports at sales at specific dates on PlayStation.

It's odd that Sony report sales at old dates and don't update for later reports. It's also odd that they have never reported PC sales at all. There is perhaps a sales/revenue/proift threshold because not all Sony-published games on PlayStation get included. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Back