God of War [PS4, PC]

Yup, I know quite a few people that will be replaying the game on PC just so they can finally use KBM combined with a locked 60 FPS or greater. Basically removing the only downsides they had for the game when they played it on the PS4.
These poor people. Preferring third person action games with a keyboard and mouse should qualify you for free therapy. :yep2:

These poor people. Preferring third person action games with a keyboard and mouse should qualify you for free therapy. :yep2:

Hell, if I could get free therapy just for using KBM instead of paying for it, I'd be all in. :D Unfortunately, therapists don't take proof of using KBM as a substitution for paying. :p

Regards,
SB

Computerbase has their early performance review for GoW up. Not massively thorough, but at least their benchmark was done in a relatively heavy scene so it's a fair approximation of the game in more intense moments.

iDdtGtx.png

The Good:

- Frametimes are decent. No major shader stuttering issues (!).
- 8GB vram is plenty (as it should be as textures are not upgraded)
- Ultra settings do indeed have a large impact on performance - upwards of 50%, albeit this is seen more at lower resolutions oddly enough. So quite a bit of performance can be clawed back by lowering settings. 3080 at 4k goes from just over 60 with Ultra to ~100 with Original preset.

The middling:

- Ultra graphics settings do not deliver the visual impact for the performance they take. In some scenes with lots of foliage shadows it's definitely noticeable, in many other examples they give it's far less so. The Ultra settings also apparently significant increase the demands on the CPU, albeit they offer no CPU-centric benchmarks to show this.
- Significant differences with high-end AMD vs Nvidia, large wins on the Nvidia side at higher resolutions (~+30%, especially in 1% lows - this explains why AMD had to use FSR on the 6800XT to get ~60fps at sub-4k). However, lower-end cards go to AMD, with the 580 outperforming the 1060.

The Bad:

- No exclusive fullscreen mode. Game will always scale based on your desktop resolution, so DSR becomes a hassle if you want to use it.
- 1060/580 cards cannot maintain 60 fps at 1080p with Original graphics settings. If using Ultra settings, even a 3060ti cannot maintain 60 at 1440p.
- DLSS produces significant ghosting, which is really surprising. In still images it can appear sharper, but on some fine details against contrasted backgrounds it appears significant:

ukwy2He.png

The performance uplift for DLSS is also somewhat minor vs other titles, albeit you usually get those huge uplifts with titles that use RT and thus give you the double benefit for the less rays, so perhaps this is not that abnormal for strictly rasterized titles.

So, pretty decent overall, but hopefully they can fix that DLSS ghosting as I haven't seen examples that egregious in quite a while. But it's at least no "Horizon Zero Dawn on release" quality or anything.

Last edited:
Textures are improved in some areas, quite significantly so.

h3rvYRe.png

Are you sure that's actually higher res texture assets and not just aniso 16x + benefit of native 4k vs checkerboarding? Checkerboarding loses texture detail on distant surfaces in particular, especially when combined with relatively low levels of AF - so if that's zoomed in those two could explain the difference there.

I feel with every other aspect of improvement mentioned it would be odd for Sony not to tout higher res textures if that was truly the case.

Are you sure that's actually higher res texture assets
It sure looks like it
And it would not be a surprise in the slightest, They are surely not going to release a game on PC (if they are halfway competent) with the same sized textures that they used on the PS4 pro

Not my type of game, but it seems a good port, metacritic = 93 (not to be confused with a critic of facebook)

This discussion has been had before. Its the only version available on the PS5.
The issue such nomenclature creates is when the inevitable comparisons are made with titles that do offer distinct versions, and you're comparing PS4 games with PS5 games. There isn't a whole lot of fact checking or verification on the internet! ;) Should Sony decide to do a low/medium-effort PS5 retarget of God of War (2018) for PS5 (leveraging the PC assets/work and Ragnorak engine improvements) for some future complete/definitive God of War boxset, you end in the situation where you have to check when the video was made, which versions were made when because all the title says is "PS5". ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Labling things sensibly prevents issues. I bought God of War for PS4, I own a PS5. Seeing this caused me to do some googling to understand what the hell I was looking at.

Back