General Next Generation Rumors and Discussions [Post GDC 2020]

Would sony/ms use preorders to finetune production capacity/unit allocation between countries? If so then preorders earlier than later would help. For ps4 preoders started early june and price was announced at e3.

Does sony have some scheduled event already in June? If sony doesn't rely on preorders to finetune production capacity/unit allocation and sony relies internet for preorders then late july or even august would be feasible.

Would sony/ms use preorders to finetune production capacity/unit allocation between countries? If so then preorders earlier than later would help. For ps4 preoders started early june and price was announced at e3.

Does sony have some scheduled event already in June? If sony doesn't rely on preorders to finetune production capacity/unit allocation and sony relies internet for preorders then late july or even august would be feasible.

Sony is late for releasing information about PS5 compared to PS4. I suppose they did not want to release information before thinking they can produce the console with COVID-19 pandemic. Will they be able to have the game ready on first and third party side? thiT is another problem but no one want to be the first to announce a delay on next generation console release.

In the next two months we will have everything we need to make a choice.

Why June it can be May too? MS were preparing to reveal everything at E3. They will do a digital event.

The main question is will we need to watch a fake public like on Road to PS5?

Sony is late for releasing information about PS5 compared to PS4. I suppose they did not want to release information before thinking they can produce the console with COVID-19 pandemic. Will they be able to have the game ready on first and third party side? this is another problem but no one want to be the first to announce a delay on next generation console release.

In the next two months we will have everything we need to make a choice.

Sony announced year ago that they wouldn't be giving out ps5 details during fiscal year that ends at end of march 2020. I would assume sony is very well inside their internal timetable. If anything sony gave more information during 2020 than what they previously announced they would.

Sony was this explicit year ago. But I guess not everyone noticed or remembered to set their expectations. It was more than what one could expect based on ealier sony communication that wired article and cerny gdc talks came out when they did. Of course one could argue that ps5 launch still hasn't happened(price, availability, games) but that is semantics. The expectation was never for sony to launch ps5 until april 2020 or later. june/july/august would make sense but really depends on if sony/ms play game of chicken and if preorders help finetune sales/production

Sony’s fiscal year report also confirmed that the PS5 (or whatever the next-gen PlayStation console will be named) will not launch during the current fiscal year, referring to the period between April 2019 and March 2020.
https://kakuchopurei.com/2019/04/26/sony-games-division-is-doing-great-this-fiscal-year/

Sony announced year ago that they wouldn't be giving out ps5 details during fiscal year that ends at end of march 2020. I would assume sony is very well inside their internal timetable. If anything sony gave more information during 2020 than what they previously announced they would.

They were suppose to do an event maybe in February, March or April 2020 and after organize hundreds of PS5 experience zone but I don't think it will be possible to do it with COVID-19. They said it when they said they will not go to E32020.

https://nl.letsgodigital.org/spelcomputers-games/sony-playstation-5-game-experience/

sony-ps5-game-museum.jpg

This is a pipedream. This type of event will probably be forbidden all summer and maybe later. Gamescom is cancelled, in Spain the government said there will probably be problem link to COVID-19 all 2020. Confinement will stop 11th May but they said if needed there will be another confinement depending of the pandemic.

In 2013, they launched PS4 in November and they did a reveal in February... I never said they will release PS5 just after the event.

People will not blindly buy the new consoles. They need to show launch games, OS, a release date and a price as soon as possible.

Last edited:
They prioritized what is important to 99% in their PR. XSX most logically has a CU/dsp reserved for audio, done by amd. Its by far the cheapest and easiest solution to integrate coming from amd, i suspect trueaudio is the same thing. Their api might differ seeing what they have to work with.
They indeed wont shout it from the roof since no one cares, VR is still a niche market. When it becomes something more, ms can just release VR headset and the dsp hardware will do what the ps5’s does and more.
MS was also being conservative during their reveal regarding ssd, they could have showed max rates but went with minimal rates. If they want they can show max rates at a later stage, PR and all. Different strategies.

2.4gb/s is now the floor for xsx?
What is xbox thinking, allowing sony to swing their big SSD around while they hold on to the real specs? C'mon.

They were suppose to do an event maybe in February, March or April 2020 and after organize hundreds of PS5 experience zone but I don't think it will be possible to do it with COVID-19. They said it when they said they will not go to E32020.

https://nl.letsgodigital.org/spelcomputers-games/sony-playstation-5-game-experience/

sony-ps5-game-museum.jpg

This is a pipedream. This type of event will probably be forbidden all summer and maybe later. Gamescom is cancelled, in Spain the government said there will probably be problem link to COVID-19 all 2020. Confinement will stop 11th May but they said if needed there will be another confinement depending of the pandemic.

In 2013, they launched PS4 in November and they did a reveal in February... I never said they will release PS5 just after the event.

People will not blindly buy the new consoles. They need to show launch games, OS, a release date and a price as soon as possible.

The big difference to ps4 launch is that sony can reach their target audience with sony specific online event + youtube video for viewing after event + twitter/facebook/instagram/.... Even casual people can now be reached via online. Sony can still be in their internal timetable they set year ago by saying they will not launch ps5 during fiscal year ending March 2020. The world has changed since ps4 launch. I don't see reason to say sony is "late", sony can very well be within their launch timeline they set year ago.

The other big difference is that sony and ms are really struggling with console pricing. They are playing a game of chicken with price.

2.4gb/s is now the floor for xsx?
What is xbox thinking, allowing sony to swing their big SSD around while they hold on to the real specs? C'mon.
Unlikely. Even if that was true, 2.4 GB/s would be the speed that developers target their games.
At this point in time, MS has locked in everything for their BOM. I don't expect anything to change on their side.

The big difference to ps4 launch is that sony can reach their target audience with sony specific online event + youtube video for viewing after event + twitter/facebook/instagram/.... Even casual people can now be reached via online. Sony can still be in their internal timetable they set year ago by saying they will not launch ps5 during fiscal year ending March 2020. The world has changed since ps4 launch. I don't see reason to say sony is "late", sony can very well be within their launch timeline they set year ago.

The other big difference is that sony and ms are really struggling with console pricing. They are playing a game of chicken with price.

They never said they will not talk about PS4 before March 2020, they said PS5 will not launch before March 2020. They could have done better than do a GDC presentation on youtube with 14 million views and with tons of people not interested in the SSD speed or the need to use fast Fourier transform for Audio. This was a very bad first PS5 event. The marketing is bad. This is a reality.

They never said they will not talk about PS4 before March 2020, they said PS5 will not launch before March 2020. They could have done better than do a GDC presentation on youtube with 14 million views and with tons of people not interested in the SSD speed or the need to use fast Fourier transform for Audio. This was a very bad first PS5 event. The marketing is bad. This is a reality.

Bad marketing versus being late is same as this discussion is to BOM. But the BOM and hussle to gain advantage in price is probably big reason for the game of chicken we see. Probably MS and sony are close enough to each other in BOM that they are trying to find any advantage in pricing they can(how much to take loss and will loss carry over to every unit sold for lifetime of product). Implication of this was that ms was willing to save pennies by dropping optical audio port.

Both gave the specs to DF to show them, besides PR the specs are what we got. Hype season hasnt really started yet outside of twitter and forums.

Bad marketing versus being late is same as this discussion is to BOM. But the BOM and hussle to gain advantage in price is probably big reason for the game of chicken we see. Probably MS and sony are close enough to each other in BOM that they are trying to find any advantage in pricing they can(how much to take loss and will loss carry over to every unit sold for lifetime of product). Implication of this was that ms was willing to save pennies by dropping optical audio port.

You think a miracle will happen, Sony knows the MSRP they want to reach. They know the BOM of the console and the decision is probably already done. The wild card is Lockhart on MS side. If you think they will wait MS and fix an MSRP later, this is not how it works. The date of the reveal is not set like this. First, they needed to decide to launch in 2020 or not and if it was possible with COVID-19. It seems they decided to launch because it is possible to do it on the production side.

And they need to do a real reveal of PS5 with the design, the games, release date, and a price.

Another way to look at it is to remember ps4 price was announced in june. We are now in april. Late indeed.

Another way to look at it is to remember ps4 price was announced in june. We are now in april. Late indeed.

And Games were shown in February last time. They need to show something before end of June. They show it before or after MS doesn't change anything. The price of PS4 was 399 dollars/euros not because they watch the E3 2013 Xbox conference and decided to go for 399 dollars/euros after MS said Xbox One+ Kinect is 499 dollars/Euros.

And Games were shown in February last time. They need to show something before end of June. They show it before or after MS doesn't change anything. The price of PS4 was 399 dollars/euros not because they watch the E3 2013 Xbox conference and decided to go for 399 dollars/euros after MS said Xbox One+ Kinect is 499 dollars/Euros.

Patience young grass hopper. We are not at the end of june yet.

edit. I have no skin on this game. I'm just waiting to see what happens. I was just trying to say sony might be perfectly in the schedule they have internally set for themselves. If not, they could slip and not ship meaningful quantity of hw this year. The proof really is in when one can buy the device and how many is shipped not in a date when something is revealed.

Patience young grass hopper. We are not at the end of june yet.

edit. I have no skin on this game. I'm just waiting to see what happens. I was just trying to say sony might be perfectly in the schedule they have internally set for themselves. If not, they could slip and not ship meaningful quantity of hw this year. The proof really is in when one can buy the device and how many is shipped not in a date when something is revealed.

No they aren't on schedule if you think the road to PS5 was what they wanted to do. The reveal and the planning was changed by covid-19.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-01-11-playstation-will-not-participate-in-e3-2020

"After thorough evaluation SIE has decided not to participate in E3 2020," said a Sony Interactive Entertainment spokesperson. "We have great respect for the ESA as an organization, but we do not feel the vision of E3 2020 is the right venue for what we are focused on this year.

"We will build upon our global events strategy in 2020 by participating in hundreds of consumer events across the globe. Our focus is on making sure fans feel part of the PlayStation family and have access to play their favorite content. We have a fantastic line up of titles coming to PlayStation 4, and with the upcoming launch of PlayStation 5, we are truly looking forward to a year of celebration with our fans."

COVID-19 guarantee it will not work like this. Literally everything they have done for the moment was done to preventing leak (first Wired article and Dualsense presentation) or give clarification(second Wired article). And they fucked up the road to PS5 video, it is one of the most viewed PS channel videos more than a Sony E3 conference.

It is decided they will release the console in 2020 out of some crazy event like for example a second big COVID-19 pandemic in China blocking again the production. A true reveal will be done. My bet is May because I heard soon but it can be June.

Last edited:
No they aren't on schedule if you think the road to PS5 was what they wanted to do. The reveal and the planning was changed by covid-19.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-01-11-playstation-will-not-participate-in-e3-2020

COVID-19 guarantee it will not work like this. Literally everything they have done for the moment was done to preventing leak (first Wired article and Dualsense presentation) or give clarification(second Wired article). And they fucked up the road to PS5 video, it is one of the most viewed PS channel videos more than a Sony E3 conference.

It is decided they will release the console in 2020 out of some crazy event like for example a second big COVID-19 pandemic in China blocking again the production. A true reveal will be done. My bet is May because I heard soon but it can be June.

So maybe you can share the dates sony was originally planning and that have been/will be missed as you seem to know sony for sure is late. For reference only concrete information I know was that no launch during fiscal year ending march2020. The other bit I know is ps4 price was announced in june and I would not expect ps5 any sooner because now it's easier to generate the hype closer to the release thanks to everyone being internet savy. If sony moves too early the hype is gone before people can buy console/games, also launch games are likely to finish close launch(day 0 patches, games on disc maybe not even practically playable?) so showing games later is better as they are more ready.

Back