General Next Generation Rumors and Discussions [Post GDC 2020]

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by BRiT, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

The presentation IMO was great. Just unsuitable for the average joes, your typical gamers who cant understand shit. This was never mainly intended for their consumption anyways.
    edit: I think the fault was preparing the crowd that it was intended for everyone

milk, disco_, London Geezer and 3 others like this.
  2. AbsoluteBeginner

Regular Newcomer

I think only great thing about presentation was Mark, everything else : bottom of a barrel. Dimmed room, amateurish presentation, fake audience, all talk no show. All that after your competitor has been shouting from the rooftops : TFTFTFTF.

IMO they should have had PSMeeting with few crazy tech demos, interviews with developers, general direction they are taking etc. and then big arch dive during GDC. Just like they did last time, perfection. This, especially when XSX is more powerful, makes little sense.

AzBat, Picao84, PSman1700 and 2 others like this.
  3. jayco

Veteran Regular

Agreed, the target audience was no longer the developers. They should have done something shorter, communicate some key points and show some pretty staff. Or do a private presentation only to studios.

4. Tkumpathenurpahl

Tkumpathenurpahl Oil Monsieur Geezer
    Veteran Newcomer

To pull an example out of my arse: it may result in something like greater variety of cars in GTA. Remember when you'd get in a car in GTA3, and suddenly, nearly all of the other cars would be the same model? Releases on other platforms did away with that, so we may see a less dramatic equivalent.

The Switch came after the failure that was the WiiU. Nintendo could afford to alienate all 12 people that bought that console. The PS4 severed ties to the PS3 whilst the XBoxOne did the same to the X360 (for a while.)

I think it would've been wildly risky to sever ties to the PS4 when the XSX was definitely not going to sever ties to the XBoxOne.

As for yields: I don't put stock in rumours. Any old Muppet can go on the internet and make claims. If it turns out to be the case, then I agree, Sony made the wrong choice by not spending a small amount more on 4 extra CU's and clocking them lower.

I think fast travel is one area that the PS5 will absolutely benefit. If you're hopping from one side of the map to the other, and assets have to be streamed in from storage, being able to stream them in twice as fast should pretty consistently result in half the waiting times.

Maybe it won't matter for the most part, but I love the instant retry feature in Super Meat Boy, and I'd welcome that in plenty of other games. I'd have really welcomed that in Spider-Man's stealth challenges.

My God, I'm having visions of being able to fast travel in the Witcher 3 without having to go and make a brew.

disco_ likes this.
  5. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

Time will come for that too. But yes it was far more exciting how they arranged to reveal the PS4 for the masses.

PSman1700 likes this.
  6. PSman1700

Legend Newcomer

Their presentation got as many likes as dislikes so i think they will notice. Negative comments get filtered but they cant keep up.

That problem got fixed for the most after GTA4 already, the PS2 versions of GTA were much more impacted also compared to the windows and xbox og versions (ram limitation?).

7. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

Surely the best case scenario for PC's at the time of the next gen consoles launch is a 7GB/s PCIe 4.0 NVMe drive accessing the system via DirectStorage? I don't know whether PC's would have access to to any kind of texture decompression given what MS/Sony are stating about the decompression processing requirements but even without it we're looking at something pretty close to PS5 speed and a fair bit faster than XSX aren't we?

In terms of scaling down to slower systems wouldn't using lower resolution textures significantly reduce the streaming performance requirements? Texture detail scaling is already standard in most PC games.

disco_, London Geezer and PSman1700 like this.
  8. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

even if PS5 is capable of that (twice as much variety) thanks to streaming, it still won't happen in cross-platform titles due the cost in creating twice as much stuff for PS5. No dev is going to double their art costs for platform that's perhaps 50% of the total game's audience.

Globalisateur and PSman1700 like this.
  9. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

What about level of detail? Surely there is a chance the stuff will be the same but the LOD might be of higher quality?

London Geezer and PSman1700 like this.
  10. Tkumpathenurpahl

Tkumpathenurpahl Oil Monsieur Geezer
    Veteran Newcomer

But I'm not suggesting the PS5 has double the assets created for it, just as the PC version of GTA3 didn't have additional cars created for it. But rather - and to stick with my GTA hypothetical - when you turn around, rather than just seeing multiple instances of the same van, you will instead see the same quantity of vehicles, but half of them will be vans and half will be cars. Because the assets can be loaded in more quickly.

egoless and London Geezer like this.
  11. bgroovy

Regular Newcomer

I think Cerny said there was a lower limit, but that's not a "base clock" in the traditional sense.

The question is, if you are maxing out the AVX on the CPU and causing the GPU to throttle, does that even matter? You're probably CPU limited in that scenario anyway.

I mean, they were only dead set on that much RAM because of their TVTVSPORTSTV vision...

That would be like 100GFlops, yeah? So we can say Tempest adds between 100-285GFlops of power for audio. Either way that's a lot more than SHAPE if that was 15GFlops.

12. ultragpu

Legend Veteran

egoless, disco_, jayco and 1 other person like this.
  13. Remij

Regular Newcomer

Let's hope devs are more ambitious than that :lol:

Tkumpathenurpahl likes this.
  14. Xbat

Veteran Newcomer

So what kind of pros are there to higher clocks and narrow compared to lower and wider?

15. DSoup

DSoup Series Soup
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

If devs stick with the same approach as they do now, yes. But if they adopt a procedurally-adaptive approach to filling game worlds with object clutter based on how much the CPU, GPU and I/O can muster, you may see cases where PS5 worlds just have more in. Nothing important, but just visual noise to flesh out environments.

You're suggesting that from now on all cross-platform open world games will only be as large, diverse and dense as XSX can manage without any loading times?!? Nobody is building games like that now, why will they start?

There will always be saves, loads, re-loads and fast travel and the need to load gigabytes of data off the drive is inevitable. What about Lockhart? And while the PCMR crowd like to talk as though everybody has an octacore i7/i9 CPU, dual-2080Tis, 32Gb of RAM and raid-SSDs, the reality is very different.

I agree, but many devs will have large asset libraries already. Creating assets just for PS5? No. Throwing a bunch ready-to-go assets into the pool of random objects to populate a game world? Maybe.

#215 DSoup, Mar 20, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    egoless, disco_, ultragpu and 4 others like this.
  16. Xbat

Veteran Newcomer

It's also not the worst thing ever that first party devs can have a diffrentiator that makes there games stand out. That is if it does make the big difference I expect it to make but the question is Sony's storage solution performant enough.

17. AbsoluteBeginner

Regular Newcomer

Hopefully we will not have to endure 6-7 years of "this is only possible on XYZ console" like in PS360 time. I am sure PS5's SSD is going to be balls to the wall amazing, but I have trust in MS's ability to figure out bottlenecks and if 2x the speed of SSD would result in completely different experience (which I think won't be the case).

Will devs ever say "Wow, 8GB/s of SSD gives us ability we could never achieve with 4.8GB/s"? I doubt it. I also doubt 2TF of extra GPU and RT performance will result in much more then slight reduction in settings and resolution, practically impossible to distinguish at ~3m.

vjPiedPiper, Silenti, disco_ and 4 others like this.
  18. London Geezer

Legend Subscriber

It's clear that the "jump" this next gen is that both will use SSDs. Period.
    One will be faster, but in terms of new experiences, both will benefit from the order or magniture faster IO. Just like they will both benefit from the new GPU features, and especially the extra CPU, which is a god send.
    Can't wait for the noise to subside and for both of them - but especially Sony, who seems all over the place - to start showing off games so we can focus on that.

Silent_Buddha, disco_, BRiT and 2 others like this.
  19. ultragpu

Legend Veteran

Higher poly count models, denser environment geometry from what I've heard.

egoless and Xbat like this.
  20. AbsoluteBeginner

Regular Newcomer

I am wondering about front end vs BW available in PS5 and XSX cases. In PS4 Pro example, it had considerably better pixel fillrate but XBX eats its launch every time on higher res. With 143Gpx v 117Gpx you would expect Sony to have more BW, yet it has considerably less, even per TF.