General Next Generation Rumors and Discussions [Post GDC 2020]

SHAPE is 15GFLOPs worth of Tensilica DSPs that were used mostly for voice processing for Kinect commands and some reverb effects IIRC. The Tempest audio engine is a RDNA2 CU with stripped down caches probably working at the GPU's 2.23GHz, so it's 285 GFLOPs (almost 20x more powerful), and its purpose is to process object-based audio sources, reverb effects and head related transfer functions.
It'll work with everything from headphones to TV speakers to provide surround effects, on top of the 3D positional audio.
Its range of effect is a lot larger than shape's.

That comparison could be way off as they are two complete different implementations altogether.

Who suggested this will only be used on first party games?

He ment that 3rd party games often have to run on other consoles (and pc maybe) too.

Listening to DF again, they seem to think that at 2Ghz (leak), the boost clock wasn't actually utilised.
Timestamp 4.06.

DF notes that Cerny told him 'a few % in downclock gpu', missquoted?
When they say 'TF isnt a metric for perf' they clearly mean in comparison to the old GCN arch.

Last edited:
The Tempest audio engine is a RDNA2 CU with stripped down caches probably working at the GPU's 2.23GHz, so it's 285 GFLOP...
Another metric is the flops performance of all 8 PS4 Jaguars, as Cerny said that's what would be required. That in turn is equivalent to how much CPU on next-gen consoles?

It'll work with everything from headphones to TV speakers to provide surround effects, on top of the 3D positional audio.
Yes, but Globby's concern is most gamers don't care. We also don't know how good it is on TV, for example. Does it really provide accurate 3D positioning from a stereo TV for all users? However, i do think when gamers get a taste, if it's as good as 3D audio can be, then there'll be a lot of converts. Anyone into Apex, Fortnite, COD, etc. is going to love it and if XBSX doesn't have the same, I think the USP will benefit Sony. Although I think XBSX will have the same, just maybe with some GPU overhead? Maybe not.

Every dev will have access to a 5.5GB/s raw transfer rate from the SSD. Sony isn't capping the raw transfer rate for 3rd parties (why would they?).
Is it not obvious that Globby is saying the lowest common denominator will be used for cross-platforms, and only exclusives will use PS5's BW to the fullest? If your world design is capped to 2 GB/s or worse, how do you then scale that up cost-effectively to support twice or even four times the bandwidth?

Here's an easy way to know the SSD speed is only going to go so far. Take it to extremes to illustrate, imagine a PC with 128GB Ram or other extreme figure, fastest SSD known to man, and ask it to run Gears 5...on a total shit GPU like an integrated gr

This doesn't make any sense. It's not how it will change old games( other than load times) but how it potentially will change how new games will be designed and what will be possible on them and I hope Sony release some kind of tech demo to illustrate it because for some reason people don't seem to understand it or I'm overrating it.

The only way I see it as possibly being a mistake putting so much resources into the ssd is if it's not performant enough to accomplish what they obviously want it to.

Honestly, the biggest deciding factor for lead platform will probably be build time unless things have changed. It was the case one of these generations that Sony's build times were vastly faster than on Xbox. When iterating a game, that's more important than everything else put together. Having had experience of that myself now, I appreciate how important that is. A build for PC (to deploy on Steam) takes maybe a minute, whereas for Xbox One it was ten. As such, all my development is based on creating a testing a PC version. I can then test it on Android quite quickly. Once that's done, I can try it on XBox and see how it fairs. Same with iOS; that takes forever and you don't want to be bogged down waiting for a frickin' 10 minute build to happen in between each one or two lines of code changes!
Can you explain a bit the build time?
We are making a game too. We are still in the early stages, so thats something that will be good to know.

From SeriesX's page:

This is a dedicated silicon block that offloads decompression work from the CPU and is matched to the SSD so that decompression is never a bottleneck. The decompression hardware supports Zlib for general data and a new compression [system] called BCPack that is tailored to the GPU textures that typically comprise the vast majority of a game's package size.

From PS5's page:

The controller supports hardware decompression for the industry-standard ZLIB, but also the new Kraken format from RAD Game Tools, which offers an additional 10 per cent of compression efficiency.

3rd parties can just use ZLIB that is supported by the hardware decompression on both consoles.

So claiming the PS5's SSD tech will only be usable by first parties is just false. The raw speed is available to everyone and so is the the hardware decompression if you use an industry standard.

Yes, but Globby's concern is most gamers don't care. We also don't know how good it is on TV, for example. Does it really provide accurate 3D positioning from a stereo TV for all users? However, i do think when gamers get a taste, if it's as good as 3D audio can be, then there'll be a lot of converts.
Agreed. It's a chicken and egg situation.

Is it not obvious that Globby is saying the lowest common denominator will be used for cross-platforms, and only exclusives will use PS5's BW to the fullest? If your world design is capped to 2 GB/s or worse, how do you then scale that up cost-effectively to support twice or even four times the bandwidth?
It wasn't obvious to me, but the reduced loading times will always be there to everyone, all the time.
As for the rest, can't we say that for pretty much every feature? How do you scale Tetris to use over 100GB/s of system RAM bandwidth?

I really see this PS5 as the Wii U + XB1 + PS3 bis arrogant moment of Sony.

I don't think this is anywhere near as catastrophic as those three. In chronological order of cock ups (or COoCU's, if you will:)

• The PS3 had a fairly naff GPU grafted onto it, which was generally less performant than the X360's. It had substantially less memory due to OS reservations. It cost an arm and a leg to manufacture. As well, its OS was atrocious. So people were faced with a much more expensive, graphically uglier console with a shit UX. I loved it (except for installations of games and patches) but I understand why plenty of people didn't.
  • The WiiU was pretty much just an overclocked Wii. Which itself was an overclocked GameCube. It could generally outperform the PS360, but not by much, and it was especially poorly timed as it was just on the cusp of the PS4+XB1. It's controller gimmick was also rubbish, particularly because you were limited to one per system, and was useless on its own. Had each Wuublet been able to play GB/GBA/DS games, as well as connect multiple of them to the base console for multiplayer, I suspect things might have been a bit less Dreamcast-y.
  • The XBoxOne was advertised to the world as being the place you could buy your games in order to not own them. The TV, TV, TV thing was a misstep, certainly, but it was nowhere near the magnitude of saying "here, buy this console and keep asking our servers for permission to play games... Which you're also going to have to buy." IMO that's what killed a lot of interest and a lot of trust.

Because of the stupid BC requirements Cerny had to design the PS5 around 36 CUs using a very power innefficient fast and narrow design:

It's hard to say, at this point, how much that was the case. 36CU's seems to have been the minimum in order to ensure PS4Pro compatibility, which is great. I would've preferred more CU's, but as long as the 2.23GHz clockspeed is generally sustained, and the fan noise isn't too great, I'm personally quite happy with 10.3TF's of compute, and it'll be interesting to see how "faster" compares to "more."

Off topic: I'm typing this on my phone, using swipe, and when I went to swipe "faster," the word "gayer" came up instead. This made me smile, and so I'm sharing it with all of you. You heard it here folks "the PS5 is gayer than the XSX." I know I'm buying one.

- 36CUs requirement for BC is like the TV TV TV of XB1 leading to 8GB of DDR3 and reduced number of CUs or the Wii BC hardware requirements leading to a super weak Wii U APU

We don't know if the decision to go with 36CU's was because more would hamper BC, or if they wanted to go as small as possible and 36 was the minimum to ensure PS4Pro compatibility. I suspect the latter.

But your comparison doesn't really hold up because the XBoxOne resulted in a bigger, more expensive chip. As long as Sony get yields under control, they should have a smaller, cheaper chip. How much smaller and cheaper remains to be seen though.

- Because of the very power innefficient design (but still underpowered system because 10tf GPU and low ram bandwidth), it'll still be expensive APU + cooling + PSU leading to high price

The APU will only be expensive if it has poor yields, and the RDNA2 reveal suggests that may not be the case. Maybe it will be initially, but yields improve over time, and this clockspeed won't be a big deal when it transitions to a newer node.

Cooling will be relatively expensive, yes, but if the more elaborate cooling was on the cards anyway (after the banshee that was the PS4Pro) then pushing clocks as high as it could manage would be worth doing anyway.

I'm not sure the PSU needs to be especially expensive. It seems likely to be a ~200w SoC.

- Custom 3D audio (that most players don't care about and most developers won't use) = Shape audio on XB1. But that will definitely increase the BOM.

It'll increase the BoM, but not by much. From what we know, and from what the @3dilettante has inferred, it seems likely to be a single CU. So not much silicon budget has gone towards it.

Had they sacrificed 4CU's for it, I'd agree that it's bollocks, but it seems relatively inexpensive. I was playing Wolfenstein last night, using headphones, and the positional audio was pretty lacking. I'm quite looking forward to an evolution of this.

It might even be a pretty commonplace feature on multiplatform games: the XSX has enough of a CU advantage to warrant developers spending a couple of them on audio. Depending on the extent of the XSX's audio hardware.

- SSD tech. Again it will only be used on first party games and it won't make the multiplat games look better. This the Cell moment of PS5: exotic tech great for first party (once they will have mastered it), but totally useless on multiplat games. That will increase the BOM the most.

I'm not convinced it will. There's more NAND in the XSX, so the BoM is slightly higher there. The XSX also has hardware for decoding and decrypting data, so there's a comparable BoM there. It's hard to say who's costs more.

Sony's will see the most advantageous use in first party games, certainly, but Microsoft's solution is no slouch either, and both will see plenty of use.

Result: expensive to make PS5, maybe even more expensive than Xbox Series X, but 20% weaker system (for most players).

A smaller chip, with more expensive cooling, and virtually identical everything else isn't going to result in a more expensive PS5. Maybe initially of yields are poor, but not within a year or two of launch.

Bonus: Their BC program is currently treated as a joke (2 different statements with no clarification whatsoever), 100 games available (not even all of them, "almost 100"), and they probably are going to completely drop the program because Jim Ryan, the anti-BC guy, is the boss. Just how they dropped their PS2 classic program on PS4.

This concerns me the most. But there's already enough backlash, and Microsoft are doing such a great job at BC, that Sony are quickly going to realise that they need to spend resources on BC.

The hardware's there already. But the fact that they've only tested the 100 most played PS4 games suggests that they haven't dedicated nearly enough resources to it. If that 100 only refers to some sort of PS5 boost mode, then it's acceptable - at least we'll be able to play PS4 games with PS4/PS4Pro performance. If that 100 is all that's been tested at all, then Jim Ryan hasn't committed enough resources to BC and either needs to course correct or step down, because that folly will cost PlayStation dearly.

TLDR: it's alright @Globalisateur the console's pretty good. We're going to enjoy it. Except for its shit bandwidth.

Can you explain a bit the build time?
We are making a game too. We are still in the early stages, so thats something that will be good to know.
In Unity, I press 'build' and a minute later, the PC version is complete as an .exe I can upload to Steam. If I swap to Android and press 'build and run', it's several minutes for an .apk and what feel like a quarter of an age for an .aap build, depending on whether you create an Android Studio project. I don't recall the specifics. Set Windows UWP as the target and build, and it's something like 5 minutes to create the Visual Studio solution, and then another 5 minutes to build and run on console. This is why getting the XB port took several days longer than I expected. I'd use the on screen keyboard and it'd fail to work (didn't register delete or return actions). Make a line or two changes in code, build and run, ten minutes later, it's still bugged. Several attempts with nothing, you then ask the Internet, and wait, and wait. In this case there's a Unity guy on the forum covering the Windows platform who is very helpful, but a day behind in timezone so it was one post+response per day. StackOverflow had nothing. The MS forums were bugged and I couldn't log on to ask. Then while waiting, back to build and run, small change (just to try and debug, such as can you capture a '\n' string on the input? Or is it there in the TouchScreen input string?), build and run...

In the end it seems there's a bug, possibly fixed in a later version of Unity, and I gave up and created my own on-screen keyboard. I tested it first on PC, then Android to see if the official TouchScreen keyboard still worked, and UWP as a final platform because of build times.

Edit: this is a tiny project. I remember (though no link) that games were taking hours, maybe even a day to build on XB360, versus a tiny fraction on PS3. So when it came to game balance changes and iterative design, the PS3 would be the lead platform. If there's similar this gen, you can be sure the far faster build platform will be the one devs are using day to day.

Last edited:
As for the rest, can't we say that for pretty much every feature? How do you scale Tetris to use over 100GB/s of system RAM bandwidth?
Yes. That's why we talk about lowest common denominators. ;) It's why no games target a 2080, and instead it has to run games targeting a lower spec with some extra bells and whistles. However, some things scale with performance like resolution and framerate, or crowd numbers. It's unlike any game will be made that's dependent on streaming speed for framerate. Devs won't choose a streamed detail level that provides 30 fps on XBSX and 60 fps on PS5 - they'll pick a quality that's 60 fps (say) on XBSX and then whatever's an easy tweak to make use of PS5's advantage if any. If PS5 can provide twice the content variety because it can stream twice as many assets, no dev is going to go t the cost to make twice as many assets on PS5 for a small part of the whole cross-platform audience they are targeting.

Yes. That's why we talk about lowest common denominators. ;) It's why no games target a 2080, and instead it has to run games targeting a lower spec with some extra bells and whistles. However, some things scale with performance like resolution and framerate, or crowd numbers. It's unlike any game will be made that's dependent on streaming speed for framerate. Devs won't choose a streamed detail level that provides 30 fps on XBSX and 60 fps on PS5 - they'll pick a quality that's 60 fps (say) on XBSX and then whatever's an easy tweak to make use of PS5's advantage if any. If PS5 can provide twice the content variety because it can stream twice as many assets, no dev is going to go t the cost to make twice as many assets on PS5 for a small part of the whole cross-platform audience they are targeting.
Maybe Sony hit a sweet spot. I was surprised during the presentation when Cerny pointed that PS1 and PS4 required 1-2 months to get familiar with the hardware but below 1 month for the PS5.
This if true reduces some concerns regarding the complexity of the hardware choices made. Finger's crossed it's true. Also some rumors suggested that developers were pleased and that Sony was steps ahead in the tools area.
If that is the case, developers might probably prefer to work on the PS5 then cram things up for or make adjustments on the Series X. We shall see.

@Tkumpathenurpahl I am fine, thanks. Just very disappointed as you can see that they designed a flawed hardware because of BC requirements. That strategy was a failure on PS3, it was a failure on Wii U, I don't see why it should work on PS5. Just look at Switch and PS4 success, both recent designs without any kind of BC.

PS5 didn't need BC, and also, currently BC is broken on PS5 ! From their own statements, it's not working, that's ridiculous. All of that for 4% (or even less, like 2%) of games available.

And the yields are currently bad, frequency is too high:
The word desperate is very accurate, the price is quite heavy, the current yield is bad

https://www.chiphell.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2201057&page=2&mobile=2#pid44551026

The Original Xbox had custom 3D audio hardware with HRTF capabilities.

Does anyone know of a single game that made use of this hardware for those purposes?
maybe it was too soon. The Saturn had a modem, the Dreamcast had one too including a service, the Mega Drive had body movement controls, the power glove had motion controls, Game Gear had a color lit screen, the Wii U had a portable controller with a screen etc. They failed but other products succeeded on the same ideas later.
Some things work when they are released at the appropriate time.

PS5 didn't need BC, and also, currently BC is broken on PS5 ! From their own statements, it's not working, that's ridiculous. All of that for 4% (or even less, like 2%) of games available.

Most dont care about the lower-spec PS5 hardware (compared to XSX CPU/GPU/BW etc), but they sure do like it if they can play all their favorite games (in enhanced mode perhaps) on the new console. Also makes sure you wont need two consoles under the tv, or wherever people place those things these days.

@Tkumpathenurpahl I am fine, thanks. Just very disappointed as you can see that they designed a flawed hardware because of BC requirements. That strategy was a failure on PS3, it was a failure on Wii U, I don't see why it should work on PS5. Just look at Switch and PS4 success, both recent designs without any kind of BC.

And the yields are currently bad, frequency is too high:

https://www.chiphell.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2201057&page=2&mobile=2#pid44551026
is he working in the industry?

The Original Xbox had custom 3D audio hardware with HRTF capabilities.

Half Life PC did support it? Counterstrike was ported to og xbox later. Btw, the OG xbox had a very advanced audio system for its time, think it was the Nforce soundstorm system. All games basically had hardware dd 5.1 support.

From SeriesX's page:

From PS5's page:

3rd parties can just use ZLIB that is supported by the hardware decompression on both consoles.

So claiming the PS5's SSD tech will only be usable by first parties is just false. The raw speed is available to everyone and so is the the hardware decompression if you use an industry standard.

Agreed. It's a chicken and egg situation.

It wasn't obvious to me, but the reduced loading times will always be there to everyone, all the time.
Sure all games will load faster on PS5, but that will be the only difference with a Xbox game. There won't be more details on the scene, the travels in open world games won't be faster on the PS5, because 3rd parties dev will develop for Xbox in mind and its 2GB/s (or lower if Lockhart is real) of streaming speed.

Tbh Sony always does this stuff, puts something a bit more exotic in their box and puts it in spotlight. On one hand, its great for PR and on the other, they always find a way to explore new horizons. What I think about SSD v TF stuff? I think both have enough in box to mitigate their deficits.

The problem I see is that Sony had terrible presentation yesterday. It was dry, boring and as soon as specs came out (very same minute), people were done with it. They saw 12 vs 10TF and that was it. Why? Because TF were always topic of discussion, ever since PS360 era and all the way till yesterday. Now, alot of first party devs and journalists more close to Sony are doing Sony a favor by hyping good features because the entire way of being mute about console and then presenting it in most boring way possible after your competitor goes on and on about flops was mistake. It set a wrong narrative for next gen.

I just urge people not to drink cool aid. These consoles will be very close and you will not see whole new worlds in PS5 version nor you will see fully raytraced game on XSX, and not on PS5. Its going to be close, closer then PS4 Pro and XBX, each with their own strengths.

Sure all games will load faster on PS5, but that will be the only difference with a Xbox game. There won't be more details on the scene, the travels in open world games won't be faster on the PS5, because 3rd parties dev will develop for Xbox in mind and its 2GB/s (or lower if Lockhart is real) of streaming speed.

Xbox's SSD aint that shabby either, they have a very potent system in there too.

Back