GeFX canned?

noko said:
I agree, isn't most chips in a series developed in parrallel. Meaning that NV35 is already done now and it is a matter of implementation or production. Basically the features that was left out of the NV30 will now be in the NV35. Does anyone know if the NV35 chip has tapped out already? I know, I know we are dealing with Nvidia here.

Rumor has it NV35 is tapped out and runs @ 800MHZ utilizing 4 pci slots to support a required dry-ice canister for cooling. A much quieter implementation, but constanly having to refill the canister seems a hastle IMHO. There are also rumors that Jen Hsun, after firing all nVidia's engineers over the fog issue, is himself trying to rig together a LN2 implementation in his basment laboratory.

heh if the nv35 came out 3 months after the nv30 and i was stupid enough to buy the geforce fx in its current state at 400$ i would be pissed. But what if the nv35 is slower than the r350. Will nvidia rlease a nv35 ultra super mega card 3 months after that ?

I guess the point is the there nothing good that can come from th GFFX being sold in small quanties......

If it was good enough to spend money on today, it'll be just as good tomorrow--as long as it continues to be supported.

There's nobody to blame except yourself if you're upset that something new has come out.

RussSchultz said:
If it was good enough to spend money on today, it'll be just as good tomorrow--as long as it continues to be supported.

There's nobody to blame except yourself if you're upset that something new has come out.

Never said i'd blame nvidia . But i would be pissed and I have every right to be pissed. You could also be sure i would never buy a product from that company again. It would be diffrent if i went to the store and saw signs for the new product saying it was on its way. But if it came out of no where 2 months after the launch of thier flagship product and they normaly release a new card every 6 months that would be out of no where and basicly screw me. But of course I learned my lesson with the geforce 3 ti 500

Is it good enough to spend money on today is the key question, can anyone give a decent argument why anyone should buy this card? If not then why even talk about supporting it?

jvd said:
Never said i'd blame nvidia . But i would be pissed and I have every right to be pissed. You could also be sure i would never buy a product from that company again.

The NV30 will probably be outdated by the R350 by the time the NV35 is released. So i'm guessing that the release of the NV35 won't really take away anything from the NV30 that the R350 hasn't already done. And sure, i would also be pissed but i wouldn't "never buy a product from that company again" just because i made a mistake.

Sherlock said:
Rumor has it NV35 is tapped out and runs @ 800MHZ utilizing 4 pci slots to support a required dry-ice canister for cooling. A much quieter implementation, but constanly having to refill the canister seems a hastle IMHO. There are also rumors that Jen Hsun, after firing all nVidia's engineers over the fog issue, is himself trying to rig together a LN2 implementation in his basment laboratory.
This has already been discussed.
It was found (by secret unnamed sources) that the nv35 must be placed on the dark side of the moon. This simultaneously takes care of the cooling issue and the noise issue.

I don't think it will be canned because nvidia do not take the loss themselves but share it with their partners who have spent money on marketing etc. It would be more profitable to have sales, even if those sales are poor-very poor - almost non existent rather than zero. If nvidia sold the cards then they could swallow the loss themselves.

The FX reminds me of the hyped nforce chipset. It looked very promising but the competition ( VIA ) upped their product and nforce was left flundering. It was still sold though. Nvidia could have given up but instead just let the product keep going while nforce2 came along, presumably having learnt the leassons from nforce 1. nforce2 is a great product so I expect FX2 ( whatever nv designation it is .. i hope not nv50 ! ) will be a very good product.

If people think nvidia is on the ropes now then look at poor old VIA. The P4 chipset market is taking off and they cannot do anything about it due to licencing and the AMD market is getting smaller and nvidia are eating into the high end/ integrated of that as well. The KT400A will have to have a very fast memory controller to compete and have decent driver support ( the nforce2 drivers seem pretty good in comparison to 4in1's IMO. At least the KT400A will be less than 70 db I guess :)

With the benefit of hindsight it might have been better for nvidia to do what Ati are doing for R300 -> R350 with the GF 4600 and in the background work away at the new 0.13 process chip. This could have been a nice fallback position for them. I don't know if they had the resources for this or whether the 4600 could have been stretched out, but if it could then a lot of people who skip generations and still had a GF3 and did not want to change to Ati would have found an uprated GF4 a very nice proposition.

I quite like the thought of a GF4 4600 Pro at 400c / 800m rather than what it did top out at which was about 325c/700m. Then the fixed nv30 could have come out just in time for Doom this year.

No doubt you'll point out where my post falls down. You lot don't mince your words :D

Bjorn said:
jvd said:
Never said i'd blame nvidia . But i would be pissed and I have every right to be pissed. You could also be sure i would never buy a product from that company again.

The NV30 will probably be outdated by the R350 by the time the NV35 is released. So i'm guessing that the release of the NV35 won't really take away anything from the NV30 that the R350 hasn't already done. And sure, i would also be pissed but i wouldn't "never buy a product from that company again" just because i made a mistake.
i agree ! not much choice for nvidia ,you want them to wait another 6-7 months after the nv30 and lose more sales to the r350 ,i dont think so ,ever if there is a few casualties on the way.

If a more marketable and profitable chip is ready then why wait??

Nvidia wouldn't, now is the NV35 ready or near ready is the question? What would slow down the production? Redesign 256bit bus board?

jvd said:
Never said i'd blame nvidia . But i would be pissed and I have every right to be pissed. You could also be sure i would never buy a product from that company again. It would be diffrent if i went to the store and saw signs for the new product saying it was on its way. But if it came out of no where 2 months after the launch of thier flagship product and they normaly release a new card every 6 months that would be out of no where and basicly screw me. But of course I learned my lesson with the geforce 3 ti 500

-notice- extremely specious analogy follows -notice-

You know, you can get an incredibly fat ass eating at McDonald's too. However, despite your being pissed for being a fatass and swearing that you'll never buy another burger from them, everyone else merely laughs at you for being a stupid fatass.

McDonald's is not in the business of preventing people from getting a fat ass. They in business to sell burgers. If you decide you're going to eat their burgers, then you'll just have to deal with the results. And if you're eating and someone comes out and changes the sign to say "SUPERDUPER size meal is only 39 cents more!" do feel you should be mad that your burger is only a super-size burger?

See, not only do you now have an incredibly fat ass, but you also are missing out on the super-large fries and coke that you would have got if you would have waited!

But what about all those poor, emaciated bastards standing outside looking in the window and saying, "Nope, gonna wait until they make the portions bigger." They don't get any burgers, but they're saving up for the megaburger. See... they hope to one day have a fat ass just like you!

end specious analogy

Actually, I started with one analogy and leapt to a completely different analogy in mid-analog. Attempting to counter this analogy by bringing Subway's lean sandwiches into the discussion is prohibited on grounds that it makes too much sense and is countered by the fact that Quizno's is tastier.

flf said:
Actually, I started with one analogy and leapt to a completely different analogy in mid-analog. Attempting to counter this analogy by bringing Subway's lean sandwiches into the discussion is prohibited on grounds that it makes too much sense and is countered by the fact that Quizno's is tastier.

I actually got severe gastrointestinal distress (i.e. the squirts) the last 2 times I ate at Subway.

Just thought I'd share.

RussSchultz said:
I actually got severe gastrointestinal distress (i.e. the squirts) the last 2 times I ate at Subway.

Just thought I'd share.

I'll bet you good money you've got food intolerances like I do. My big one is frickin' iceberg lettuce. My system can't digest the stuff.

Try eliminating components one at a time. I'll bet you'll find at least one vegetable that your body simply doesn't digest well.

/hijack

Nah. I think the one I went to had some workers with bad hygeine. I usually have a cast iron stomach.

Now...onto other topics...

Kyle did say something in the last few days to the effect of...

"If I were a betting man"...and then followed it with a blurb about NV30 being discontinued (I think that's what he said)...and then concluded with, "but I'm not a betting man."

Interesting...say what you will about the Inquirer, but when people start whispering...and they have been whispering for quite some time now...they might just very well be onto something.

Back