Gears of War Pics - Direct Feed in game

I'm i the only that don't like the visual quality of Heavenly Sword?
maybe the final version will look better but there's a strange aliasing (seems to me that this is not simple pixel aliasing.. some things as chains and border of models loose a lot of detail when in high-contrast zones, as light and lighten surfaces) and there's some thing a lot evident with few polys (es. hair of the main model)
hope nAo will fix all this things

excuse me for the little ot.

in my opinion there're only one game that can be near as visual quality, Mass Effect

Have you seen it in 720p? Looks so much better than the screenshots they released...

amazing as always

I think Mass Effect looks on par with GoW. I have a feeling Too Human will be among the best looking titles as well...eventually.

Have you seen it in 720p? Looks so much better than the screenshots they released...

I was talking of those released 07-20-2006, I was sorry for nAo, he is a very fine person, but I really dislike the visual quality of the game

http://www.playsyde.com/pop_image.html?G=3718&N=6

[edit]
just compare with this:
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]
I've touched colors, light balance, aliasing, lost detail on the floor, some shadows, some bright zones
[/edit]

models are low-poly or low-detail, some detail as hair are so bad that is really disturbing, the shadows are 'wrong' (look to the leg of lady), the overall sensation is of 'fake reality', there's something wrong with the color's variations of flesh

but I know that they are working hard on this game, maybe for the moment of release they will fix all of this

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks awesome, but i want to see it move as good as well with decent frame rate.

Brill

I am not as impressed as I was before. Especially looking at the E3 trailer again, I noticed that the special effects for blood and smoke are well done, but only last a few seconds and then they are completely gone again. The textures look amazing at times (I love them on the leg of the giant beast at the end, especially with the bump-mapping), but there is also relatively little variety in them and many textures seem overused and low-quality.

Most impressive about this game is the feeling of weight of both the soldiers and the enemies (which look very similar, but also similarly imposing and powerful), and their enormous detail and imposing looks. I think in that area, together with some excellent futuristic art-design, is where this game really scores and why it impresses people more than, say, Resistance. But in motion, the latter game is starting to outshine this game, in my honest opinion.

Anyway, I have good hopes for this game yet. Looking forward to a more finished product.

models are low-poly or low-detail, some detail as hair are so bad that is really disturbing, the shadows are 'wrong' (look to the leg of lady), the overall sensation is of 'fake reality', there's something wrong with the color's variations of flesh

but I know that they are working hard on this game, maybe for the moment of release they will fix all of this

The hair thingy is art...so either you like it or you don't, personally I think it's different enough to make it appealing. :s

On the other hand, now that you pointed out about the low poly and shadow stuff...you're right. It's not up to the quality you would expect. Looking at the ground, it looks like it could use some AF too. And looking at the stuff behind the guy, some AA wouldn't hurt either.

Edited:
However, this is a thread about Gears of War, which looks amazing if they could only apply a little more AA. Either way, I think it's a must buy for me.

@ TrungGap
GOW is not going to use AA though they could use some kind of masking technique. HS already has 4x MSAA.

@ TrungGap
GOW is not going to use AA though they could use some kind of masking technique. HS already has 4x MSAA.

nAo admited there're problems with msaa in HS that will try to fix.
now please we have to avoid derailing of the thread ;)

All UE3 titles for all platform suffers a bad scaling performances with msaa activated, this is a weakness of the engine.
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?p=821397#post821397

Hope to see the new buil of GOW at X06

I think gears graphics are very overhyped--There are plenty of areas of washed out textures,and the bad framerate and animation water down gow graphics even more(bad animation and framerate gives the illusion of worse graphics imo).---I can pic apart those gears screens all day for its flaws

That heavenly sword pic was very selective,there are much better ones then that.
Address:http://www.playsyde.com/pop_image.html?G=3228&N=1
I think that hs graphics in motion are on another level of beauty then gears imho.Hs just flat out looks prettier(graphically) in motion

There never seems like there is much going on in gEow,it always seems super linear and not many men on screen. Looks and borrows way to much from kill-switch imo.

Is the game not going to have a hud of any kind in gameplay? Or is it hidden until you press some button?

I was talking of those released 07-20-2006, I was sorry for nAo, he is a very fine person, but I really dislike the visual quality of the game

(This isn't a Heavenly Sword thread, but it has to be said that these are old pics, from a pre-E3 build. Sony hasn't officially released shots from anything but that build, unfortunately. Look at the E3 videos for what it actually looked like at E3, which sports significant improvements over the pre-E3 build Sony released shots from. This is a good example: http://www.playsyde.com/leech_2651_en.html.)

watching in game video the hud consists only of the current weapon/ammo

when youre also aiming (fight mode) u also get the sights
if u press select weapon then u get a choice of various weapons u want

Looks very nice. The texture detail and polygon counts are insane, although the shadows seem to be slightly less advanced than before (it seems to now suffer from the Source engine 'problem' of objects casting drop shadows even though they are inside an already shadowed area).

Can't wait to pick this up in November :O

to be honest, the game looks worse and worse every time i see it.

I was amazed when they showed gameplay of it last year, but now, not so much. I guess its because alot of other titles are in the making that also look stunning.

Hm, if these are "direct feed ingame" shots, then where's the current weapon/ammo huds and sights??

If you watch the E3 demo there are portions where the Weapon/ammo display are not on the screen. I think its usually during a break in the action where the characters are talking to each other or, for instance, when the locusts are melting through the door.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back