[360, PS3] Lord of the Rings: War in the North (new Snowblind game)

obonicus

Veteran
Since some people seem to care for Snowblind Studios, it seems Warner has announced Snowblind's next game. By all indications, it's in the genre they apparently excel at.

Reveal trailer

Announcement: http://www.snowblindstudios.com/Studio/News/March-2010/anouncingWITN

Haven't seen any screenshots of this and the video isn't really legit, I don't think. The full announcement will be in OPM or some magazine of the sort. Also, according to the trailer it's PC, 360 and PS3. So there's no need for hate.

Snowblind working on the LOTR license has been rumored for a long time. I'm excited they've finally revealed the game.

If you visit the Snowblind Studios forum, I've been registered there since 2004, when they launched, visiting every day for news of a new CON-type game! :oops: :oops: :D

But for those who aren't SB fans, there's still good reason to keep a weather-eye open on this one. It should have fun, jump in game mechanics in a goblin-smacking dungeon-crawler. I'm expecting some depth to the combat and skills. It is announced as 3 player online coop which should be proper coop and not just joining as a henchman (that's to be confirmed), and most importantly, fingers crossed, it may well also support the big one - 3 player local coop. SnowBlind's PS2 games were highly regarded as games you could play with Significant Others, with lots of spouses who otherwise had no interest in gaming willing to kit up a mage or elf and fight alongside their gaming counterpart. Now this is still just a rumour spawned from a developer comment in the SB forums, but high-quality simple action games with local multiplayer are few and far between, and this one should be a doozy. Even if local coop doesn't make it, there's little to top the loot-and-level mechanics of the fantasy action RPG for simple, satisfying fun.

Of course, 2011 is a long way off. :(

Official site : www.warinthenorth.com (like you couldn't have guessed that one!) Very little up yet.

Whenever I see the name Snowblind I just think of the game Project Snowblind on the PS2,a game which I rather enjoyed. A game which wasn't made by Snowblind Studios.

Just thought I'd share that...

Apparently some people got to play a latest build at E3. Garnett Lee is one of them and he raves about it a little on the Weekend Confirmed podcast. Not much news, but he said it looked fantastic and he couldn't believe it's not out until 2011 because it looks so polished already.

There are PR screenshots at the official website. Sounds like quite a departure from the desired Snowblind experience, losing the top-down view. I'm not sure how they're handling 3 player in that case. Also I'm thinking replayability will be compromised. there are three fixed characters that are ever present. Surely they all level, progress, and so after one or two playthroughs you've done it all, unlike CON which merited a couple of playthroughs with each of 5 classes if you wanted to explore their skills.

Apparently they were going to go big at E3 though I didn't hear much about it:

http://www.warinthenorth.com/news

War in the North is coming to E3 2010 in a big way, and we here on the Community team will be there to share all the highlights with you. It’ll be a busy week, so the best way to keep up with all the latest news is to become a fan of WITN on Facebook and follow us on Twitter. We’ll be sharing updates from the floor and connecting you to what others have to say. Just click the Facebook and Twitter icons at the top of this page and sign up to receive all the latest details from what’s set to be an exciting week.

Gamespot posted a video of an interview they had with someone from Snowblind. Still, very little information though it seems like you will be able to create your character based on 3 different races, it will be M-rated and feature some violent finishing moves, and it looks all right graphically, though all that was really shown gameplay wise was a few ingame screenshots.

HD vid - http://e3.gamespot.com/video/6265088/?hd=1

Somewhat ironic that he says they still get letters about their coop, from grandmother's saying they play the game with their children and grandchildren, and yet they're making WITN mature rated.

The coop interdependencies is something I kept harping on about no their forum, so if it doesn't work it'll be all my fault! But hopefully the sense of teamwork here will be really strong. I know in Borderlands I respec'd my soldier to provide team abilities for that purpose, but otherwise it was a very independent game. Uncharted 2, though fun in coop, was really individual's shooting except when someone needed healing/rescuing. Yet it felt very cooperative. They'll need a fine difficulty balancing for this game to work on all levels though.

In this montage of E3 content, at 3:15 there's a moment of LOTR WITN gameplay.

It's hack-and-slash, 3rd-person over the shoulder. Lots of colourful special effects much to the annoyance of hardcore LOTR fans! XB360 version going by the face-button icons in the corner. Looks pretty clean and with a smooth framerate, although it's off-screen capture.

* bump *

Finally picked this up and I've been enjoying it. I'm pleased to see they maintained the skill trees and item slotting, given that those elements have been seemingly out of fashion in recent times.

* bump *

Finally picked this up and I've been enjoying it. I'm pleased to see they maintained the skill trees and item slotting, given that those elements have been seemingly out of fashion in recent times.
I'm planning to get this at some point so I'm glad to hear it's enjoyable. What do you mean by item slotting?

It's been out on OnLive for a little while. Will definitely check it out on PS3. Reviews seem mediocre, but no significant complaints and potentially colored by the barrage of AAA titles being released. ;) (which just score 1 higher than these)

It's not out until the 25th in the UK so I'll have to wait, and there'll be U3 before then. Sounds so far like a decent enough fantasy romp, kinda Dragon-Age-y. I'm kinda disappointed that, from what I've heard, it would appear SB haven't really pulled off the sort of coop we were talking about back in the day. From the sounds of it coop is the same as every other game - three independent players independently killing things. As such it's one of several options now, instead of a stand-out title. Well, it'll be some months before I have first-hand impressions.

It's not out until the 25th in the UK so I'll have to wait, and there'll be U3 before then. Sounds so far like a decent enough fantasy romp, kinda Dragon-Age-y. I'm kinda disappointed that, from what I've heard, it would appear SB haven't really pulled off the sort of coop we were talking about back in the day. From the sounds of it coop is the same as every other game - three independent players independently killing things. As such it's one of several options now, instead of a stand-out title. Well, it'll be some months before I have first-hand impressions.

You can try the OnLine version for free for a while I think, if you're curious. I may give that a whirl, as I've tried OnLive a few times before so have it setup. I haven't tried yet as I have been busy with Uncharted myself. :p

Seeing as Arwin asked in aother thread, here's a quick review. 5/10? And not a Snowblind game. :(

It's very apparent to me that this is a corporate pushed-out-the-door job. It is nothing like the snowblind games we knew in terms of polish or class or technical accomplishment. The result is true to form for a game with as much development trouble as this. 7 years in the making, or rather 7 years since the last SB game Justice League Heroes, SB had trouble creating a product and getting backing. Then WB offered to buy them, which meant security, only with WB coming in with their heavy handed corporate approach. Ryan Geithman left, and it appears Ezra Dreisbach isn't involved at SB any more - he's certainly not credited. The end result is rough. The start in Bree looks unfinished to me. If you know the beauty of CON's opening tree village with its dynamic lights, you'll be gobsmacked at the blandness and flatness of WITN's Bree. the windows look like yellow rectangles pasted onto the walls. Even the clothes appear to have painted on folds rather than normal maps. Unlike the Dwarf and Ranger, the elf doesn't have a sprint animation and just gets the walk animation sped up a bit. There are plants one can collect but half of them have a generic icon. The game is unfinished.

Cutting a long and boring story short, this is a LOTR cash-in. It feels like SB were forced to make this and get it out the door. When it does look good, like the detail on the bridge outside the dragon's lair, and some fo the atmosphere, it's quite pretty. But the end result is technically poor.

Gameplay is okay. Hit attack until a yellow triangle appears, then hit heavy attack, sort of thing. Skills are a bit bland and don't tie in together well. The idea of the game being coop focussed is a farce. Apart from the elf's bubble-shield, there's zero cooperation other than healing downed teammates like any other game.

There are also lots of bug complaints on the forum with people stuck with unplayable games. This seems true to form for WB. They have bought out premiere quality studios like Travellers Tales who produced works of impeccable quality on PS2, and have them produce buggy, poorly supported and less capable games this gen. Snowblind are another such victim. The friendly chat of the original forum is also gone, with the devs hushed behind a corporate firewall no doubt.

Playing with a friend, WITN's an okay experience. We skip all the dialogue. Man, does it go on! I'm sure the Tolkien nuts lap it up, but it's sooo tiresome for anyone who's not pretty obsessive. It's also an okay timewaster if you want a little down-time and don't have anything better to play. All in all though, it's not worth bothering with. There's little to redeem it. The baddies are all flavours of humanoids, just in different sizes and number of hitpoints (except the spiders) so there's not even variety in the experience. It's not like there are elemental weaknesses to exploit or such. It's literally kill things and gain loot and level up putting points into unexplained skills and trying to notice if they've made any improvement or not. I always said LOTR wasn't a good universe for this sort of game. DnD/forgotten Realms provides far better options. Better yet, create something new (like KoA) where you can tailor it perfectly to computer games.

Did I say 'quick review'? I've gotta see the doc' about getting my -verbose flag disabled!

None of my friends bought the game so I only played solo, but I enjoyed it. It wasn't the best game ever for sure, but I had enough fun to play through 2.5 times. I played the dwarf and ranger on normal and then continued the dwarf on hard difficulty until I moved on to another game.

Who knows? Maybe I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much if there were other 360 games that are light RPG fighting games, but I don't think I have another 360 game in this genre so I had fun playing.

I'm not really convinced that WB Games is to blame here, at least on entirely. I have quite a few WB games in my collection, and all of them are incredibly polished (including the Lego games by TT) Seems more like a developer who didn't manage to make the jump from one generation to the next.

But the Lego games aren't a patch on their PS2 offerings. They used to be 60 fps locked. Now they tear like stink or judder. And the Lego HP games certainly had game-crippling bugs that the developer didn't comment on, just leaving people frustrated and angry until a patch appeared.

Back