Gears of War (E3)

czekon said:
it's fucking amazing !!! lightning is great and details are mind blowing. Very good trailer !

Don't you want to see some gameplay vid first before you go all nuts?

They show actual gameplay from the first level of GeOW in the streamed conference.

It's definitely not up to the same quality as the cutscenes that are shown literally seconds before but still is looking very good.

I just saw the video, and my opinion probably isn't going to be a very popular one...

I thought it looked pretty good (it seemed to be high quality from the technical side of things), but I just didn't think it looked all that spectacular. Games like MGS4 and HS caught my eye more, and I can honestly say that it really came down to the facial expressions and animation respectively. I can certainly say that I do appreciate the overall level of quality of the assets, but nothing really jumped out at me and said "This is absolutely f****** amazing!!!" like two other trailers have so far this E3.

Mordecaii said:
I just saw the video, and my opinion probably isn't going to be a very popular one...

I thought it looked pretty good (it seemed to be high quality from the technical side of things), but I just didn't think it looked all that spectacular. Games like MGS4 and HS caught my eye more, and I can honestly say that it really came down to the facial expressions and animation respectively. I can certainly say that I do appreciate the overall level of quality of the assets, but nothing really jumped out at me and said "This is absolutely f****** amazing!!!" like two other trailers have so far this E3.
I agree that artistically, HS is much nicer to look at but a completely different environment/purpose.

GoW does what IT does, very well though.

The in game preview (Level 1) of the conference was better than watching a trailer though IMO.
Very gorey details and blood and violence.

I'll reserve judgement on MGS4 until I see game play

The new animations were superb and the forward roll is much more realistic now. I was very impressed from watching the level CliffyB showed off. AI was hard to judge, but seemed pretty good including when he was at the end of the first pathway and the enemy tried to flank him around that pillar. And graphics look amazing like I expected. Only problem was some slight frame rate hiccups, which should hopefully be fixed by release.

It looks good, but I think Sony has actually managed to show that PS3 is graphically superior (at least in the hands of the right devs).

FFXIII, Lair, and MGS4 look better than anything MS had to show, and HS is on par (or better) as well, and it was demonstrably playable. Lair and HS are launch/near launch to boot. Not to mention, I believe, all these games were hitting at 60 FPS (correct me if I'm wrong here, HS?? Lair??)

As for "I'll wait for gameplay on MSG4," this is what people have been saying since the original trailer for MSG2... and the graphics have matched the cutscenes every single time (with the obvious exception that cutscenes are generally more zoomed in).

Oh, don't worry, I'll probably bew grabbing the game just so I have something to look at on my 360 :) It could be a barren summer (as per usual, ugh, they need to fix this..).

Serenity Painted Death said:
It looks good, but I think Sony has actually managed to show that PS3 is graphically superior (at least in the hands of the right devs).

FFXIII, Lair, and MGS4 look better than anything MS had to show, and HS is on par (or better) as well, and it was demonstrably playable. Lair and HS are launch/near launch to boot. Not to mention, I believe, all these games were hitting at 60 FPS (correct me if I'm wrong here, HS?? Lair??)

As for "I'll wait for gameplay on MSG4," this is what people have been saying since the original trailer for MSG2... and the graphics have matched the cutscenes every single time (with the obvious exception that cutscenes are generally more zoomed in).

First off, Lair and MGS4 are about like the new Halo trailer. Therefore ascribing graphic judgements to them is pointless.

Too me Heavenly Sword and Gears are about on the same level. Watching them back to back it's difficult to say which has more "wow" factor. For example, HS does not feature the awesome set pieces such as the falling tower of Gears.

And games like Gears that, are difficult to tell the difference between the very top PS3 games such as HS, are exactly what MS needs. They dont need to be better, just "close enough".

Lets not forget the lack of AA on HS sticks out like a sore thumb. I could open paintshop and circle the jaggies on her sword in one shot, and count them, so dont even try to deny it.

It's a great looking game no doubt. If their's any evidence PS3 is realtime superior, HS is the closest thing to it. However since I know people are gonna pick out the flaws in Gears like framerate, lets be honest about the lack of AA. Although I know the devs claim it uses AA, and will improve they promise, the current shots are clearly showing some flaws. I'm not sure if this will become a trademark of PS3.

Back