Gears of War 2

Given the complete headache that GoW1 was on pc I simply cant see myself waiting for the pc release. Though for several reasons I dont blame you on this decision.

I found GEoW on PC to run flawless except for the need to install the X Live update. No problems whatsoever on my PC.

There's a lot going on it that video. The game looks a little faster paced and frantic. Definitely going to pick this one up. Still haven't played Gears all the way through, but I will eventually, when the price is down.

Looks a little more colourful. Lighting seems to be nicer. That giant monster guy looks quite a bit more detailed.

The characters have a lot of normal mapped detail, but , as a whole , after the first few secs of "Oooh!", it didn't overwhelm me like I was expecting:cry: .

Lots of action, smooth framerate, looks polished.... I was hoping for an upgrade in animation quality though. Still... lots of time left.

Like Gears but more... So I'm happy. I really enjoyed the cover mechanics in the first game. The implementation just felt so natural - I'd imagine that the couple of new bits (taking cover behind fallen foes!) we saw in the trailer will be equally slick.

But I did get a weird feeling from that trailer. It's been a long while since I played the original but, somehow, in retrospect it felt like you always knew where the action was happening in the original. This limited segment seemed to have a lot more stuff going on all over the area.

the lighting seems improved and having more ambient effect, but needs more dynamic light sources, some places still looked too dark and brown. the texture seems unchanged but they're good to start off with. the smoke seems fairly weak atm "not volumetric?" as they are not so dense and disappear in 1/2 sec like the first one. the vegetation looked good and well lit by the sunlight but still dont see rays of light penetrating though. overall it's not an enourmous leap over the 1st but good nuf to make the sequel worthy.

The graphics in the 2nd one are as good as the cutscenes in the first one! Couple that with just sooooo much more shit going on, better lighting and a smooth framerate, that trailer rocked! Anyone notice the blood coming out of the locust and how it was flying through the air since the vehicle was moving? that's sick!

http://i27.tinypic.com/29p6gc6.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what most people expect from sequels that were already that good, I mean thats a very decent improvement and we only saw 2 min footage, if you look at it close enough its a very decent improvement.

I really liked that weapon fire now casts shadows and all the shadows seem to be dynamic at least on the vehicle and ofcourse all the moving parts.

I don't know what most people expect from sequels that were already that good, I mean thats a very decent improvement and we only saw 2 min footage, if you look at it close enough its a very decent improvement.

I really liked that weapon fire now casts shadows and all the shadows seem to be dynamic at least on the vehicle and ofcourse all the moving parts.

It's a great improvement over the first. People just love to downplay and dismiss. That's all.

Now if we were talking about mediore improvements, look at Rainbow Six 2 and GRAW2.

Did the weapons fire create new dynamic shadows? I must have missed it.

yes they did at least on the characters dont know about the envoironments if you look carefuly at the chainsaw duel at 2.35 as the carmine looking cog solider fires the weapon it casts shadows on the characters.

Other then the difference in the colour pallette i dont think there that much of a difference IMO.

I don't think its suppoused to look closer at the details you'll see the difference is all in the details, I think the color pallete is pretty much the same :S

Last edited by a moderator:
Did the weapons fire create new dynamic shadows? I must have missed it.

Looks like it changes the location of the current light source, instead of adding a new one.
I think it's good enough, but generally shadows are the big missing part.
Locust, for example, only cast shadow when they are very close, and stop casting when they die.
It's a mystery why 360 exclusives don't have better shadowing with the triangle setup of Xenos.

I don't see much lighting improvement people keep talking about, but background is so good looking. Rest of the models too, are as good as ever.

Thinking the same thing. Looks like Gears 1.5 more than anything.

That really looks like trolling more than anything else.
Plus, 50 percent visual improvement is very good progress.

Perhaps they should work on more obvious things (read: animations) than the details you'd only notice in a screenshot or under close scrutiny. ;)

Yeah, I'm not sure about the lighting comments meself. I don't see much lighting differences (from the first game) simply because the only true lightsource is the sun. *shrug*

Perhaps they should work on more obvious things (read: animations) than the details you'd only notice in a screenshot or under close scrutiny. ;)
I wasn't aware shadow deficiencies require detective work. ;)
I guess my perception is a curse (and a gift). :cool:

I wasn't aware shadow deficiencies require detective work. ;)
I guess my perception is a curse (and a gift). :cool:

Have you noticed what happens when 2 guns fire at the same time ? what happens to the shadows? I wonder if it casts 2 shadows got to look close enough to see if I can see it.

Back