GamesCom 2012

Arwin

Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
Legend
Hi Guys,

I'll be going again this year, and this time I'm lucky enough to be able to go on the Press Day, hopefully being able to contribute some stuff for iWaggle3D.

But while I'm there, I'm wondering if some of you guys will be there also, and if not, if there's something you want me to check out, someone you want me to talk to, etc.

Yours,
Arwin

Arwin said:
Hi Guys,

I'll be going again this year, and this time I'm lucky enough to be able to go on the Press Day, hopefully being able to contribute some stuff for iWaggle3D.

But while I'm there, I'm wondering if some of you guys will be there also, and if not, if there's something you want me to check out, someone you want me to talk to, etc.

Yours,
Arwin

Hm, still not sure if I should go...up to now, no real game that interests me! I don't think we are able to play the last of us...

Hm, still not sure if I should go...up to now, no real game that interests me! I don't think we are able to play the last of us...

Who knows, Uncharted 3 was playable ahead of its release last time, but if The Last of Us is a late 2013 release, then it won't be here until next year.

I find the way GamesCom is setup means you either have to go on a press day, or interested in more casual stuff, because on the public days you can queue up without seeing a game for far too long. I am often fine with just seeing a game rather than playing it, but here you can't, as at least last year, everything had stupid cabins that you could only get into if your age was verified. They should change this so that a whole hall is sanctioned off for 18+ stuff.

If you can go as Press though, that problem becomes a luxury, as these spaces are generally quite comfortable for playing and talking to developers. Same if you're interested in more casual stuff - on a public day (Thursday though, so still 'relatively' quiet), I could for instance have a very interesting chat with the Move Fitness developer, who told me extremely interesting stuff about the work they did on The Fight, how that evolved for Move Fitness, and where they were now.

Arwin said:
Who knows, Uncharted 3 was playable ahead of its release last time, but if The Last of Us is a late 2013 release, then it won't be here until next year.

I find the way GamesCom is setup means you either have to go on a press day, or interested in more casual stuff, because on the public days you can queue up without seeing a game for far too long. I am often fine with just seeing a game rather than playing it, but here you can't, as at least last year, everything had stupid cabins that you could only get into if your age was verified. They should change this so that a whole hall is sanctioned off for 18+ stuff.

If you can go as Press though, that problem becomes a luxury, as these spaces are generally quite comfortable for playing and talking to developers. Same if you're interested in more casual stuff - on a public day (Thursday though, so still 'relatively' quiet), I could for instance have a very interesting chat with the Move Fitness developer, who told me extremely interesting stuff about the work they did on The Fight, how that evolved for Move Fitness, and where they were now.

How do you get a press ticket? I am dreaming about that...

Not sure what will and will not be there, but the games I'm interesting in reading about are Tomb Raider, Last of Us, Dishonored, Beyond two souls, and borderlands 2. Anything cool in general, I would be interested in reading about.

I'll be there for two days, 16th and 17th, I literally have no idea what I'll be doing there and also it's my first time in Köln.
I bought the season tickets just because I had to go to Germany anyways to see my friend in Munich so told myself might as well go over to gamescom for a day or two.

Where are you staying by the way?

I live quite nearby actually, Maastricht, The Netherlands is only about an hour's drive. :)

@Billy: I did some work for iWaggle3D in the past and I still occassionally help out (proofreading already flawless English), and that was just about enough to be able to go this time. I hope to be able to help out a bit, will probably try to look at all the Move stuff that Marcello doesn't have time for, do some more text checking, etc.

Should you want a tour of one of our oldest and most beautiful cities, you're always welcome. ;) I'm working on Thursday during the day, and off on Wednesday and Friday (if you don't hate kids, at least ;) I have one 4yo son who might be tagging along).

I would definitely like some new God of War Ascension single player info if possible good Arwin;)? Try to ask when can we expect new SP footage and if the game will blow your mind like it did with GOW3? Also gameplay footage recorded from Beyond would be much appreciated too.

I'd be queuing up for the Mists of Pandaria cinematic premiere if I was going there, but there doesn't seem to be a very big WoW following at B3D, so... :)

Hopefully they'll announce a release date in conjunction with the cinematic. Hopefully... We're at 9 months since the last major content patch and the game's getting kinda stale.

Any Londoners here?
What's the cheapest way to get to London Gatwick? I have a bit of situation here cause my flight to Cologne is at 7 am and I will be staying at my friend's place in south london the night before considering I have to travel from Liverpool. (For some reason there are no early morning trains to London on 16th and the ones that run from 5am take 4 hours, that's 2 more than usual and cost 50 quids ! While the train I am taking the night before is for 8 quids...wtf !)

nightshade said:
Any Londoners here?
What's the cheapest way to get to London Gatwick? I have a bit of situation here cause my flight to Cologne is at 7 am and I will be staying at my friend's place the night before considering I have to travel from Liverpool. (For some reason there are no early morning trains to London on 16th and the ones that run from 5am take 4 hours, that's 2 more than usual and cost 50 quids ! While the train I am taking the night before is for 8 quids...wtf !)

I've traveled the other way a bunch of times when I had to be in London for business, and I've always been able to take fairly cheap trains. Don't know much about alternatives ... Combo of Cab and Subway perhaps? Are there any busses at that time? Youcansometimes get advice from your airport or travel company.

Any Londoners here?
What's the cheapest way to get to London Gatwick? I have a bit of situation here cause my flight to Cologne is at 7 am and I will be staying at my friend's place in south london the night before considering I have to travel from Liverpool. (For some reason there are no early morning trains to London on 16th and the ones that run from 5am take 4 hours, that's 2 more than usual and cost 50 quids ! While the train I am taking the night before is for 8 quids...wtf !)

Demand and supply my friend!

Just heard that Microsof, Nintendo, SEGA and THQ don't go to Gamescom?? Is it true, and why is that? Gamescom is the biggest Europian game conference and one of the last possibilities to show stuff before holiday season.

Just heard that Microsof, Nintendo, SEGA and THQ don't go to Gamescom?? Is it true, and why is that? Gamescom is the biggest Europian game conference and one of the last possibilities to show stuff before holiday season.

Yeah, old news. It's a little bit surprising, but then to be honest, all the stuff they had last time is likely to be there anyway (most of the Kinect stuff that got a lot of attention was third party exclusives). The only one that will be missed is Turn 10 I guess (if indeed they won't be there). As a hard core gamer I would be annoyed, but to be honest I don't know if many will otherwise notice that Microsoft isn't actually there.

It's a shame for Nintendo to miss the opportunity to show off Wii U, but they have been incredibly unreliable / unrelying on these types of shows anyway.

Still, does mean Sony gets a few more PR points in Europe, no doubt, also giving a press conference.

http://kotaku.com/5918352/microsoft-not-attending-tokyo-game-show-or-gamescom

As the show is nevertheless larger than last year, there is likely still quite a lot there. I hear that among others the Korean developers will be representing quite strongly. Will be interesting.

Yeah, old news. It's a little bit surprising, but then to be honest, all the stuff they had last time is likely to be there anyway (most of the Kinect stuff that got a lot of attention was third party exclusives). The only one that will be missed is Turn 10 I guess (if indeed they won't be there). As a hard core gamer I would be annoyed, but to be honest I don't know if many will otherwise notice that Microsoft isn't actually there.

It's a shame for Nintendo to miss the opportunity to show off Wii U, but they have been incredibly unreliable / unrelying on these types of shows anyway.

Still, does mean Sony gets a few more PR points in Europe, no doubt, also giving a press conference.

http://kotaku.com/5918352/microsoft-not-attending-tokyo-game-show-or-gamescom

As the show is nevertheless larger than last year, there is likely still quite a lot there. I hear that among others the Korean developers will be representing quite strongly. Will be interesting.

Yeah, it is still interesting! Lucky you that you get one of those press passes :)
I am looking forward to hear your experience with respect to waiting time and all this stuff...last year, it took me 6 hours to play the BF3 MP demo :cool:

Yeah, it is still interesting! Lucky you that you get one of those press passes :)
I am looking forward to hear your experience with respect to waiting time and all this stuff...last year, it took me 6 hours to play the BF3 MP demo :cool:

I went on Thursday last year, and queued up fairly quickly immediately for the Vita corner. That ended up being a wait of 20-30 minutes or so, but it was cool to be able to try the Vita out and see various games being played on it. Amusingly, I played Smart-As (you get cards assigned at random for each of the games in there), which I didn't think was too great at the time, but now ends up the only game in that booth not being out yet.

Almost all of the big, hardcore stuff had these huge queues around closed booths that you couldn't look into while queuing, and that ended up being the bane of the show for me - I'd never go again unless I was certain they'd fixed that, there was something new I was sure to be interested in but which is not popular with the hardcore (like Move related stuff last year- I was very interested in various Move titles and it was pretty easy to see and play them), or if I'd get a press-pass like now.

Again, I hope they wise up eventually and just make a huge separate part of the show floor with all the 18+ stuff.

Back