Gamers Day movies on GameTrailers

Oh god, I don't why I even try. It's like you covered your ears and just want to hear what you want.
You said in your original post that the animation is 'very bad'. That is, taking everything as a whole, the motion, the facials, the variety, and the poor collisions at places, you've summed that to 'very bad'. If that's so, how do you rate other games? Games with far less animation and variety and fluidity? Does your scale only go from very bad downwards?! ;)

Perhaps you want to adjust your comments to something like 'the animation is generally very good, but there are issues with character positioning that ruin the illusion for me' rather than taking one fault among a lot of success and basing your categorization of the whole animation system on one small subsystem alone!

You said in your original post that the animation is 'very bad'. That is, taking everything as a whole, the motion, the facials, the variety, and the poor collisions at places, you've summed that to 'very bad'. If that's so, how do you rate other games? Games with far less animation and variety and fluidity? Does your scale only go from very bad downwards?! ;)

Perhaps you want to adjust your comments to something like 'the animation is generally very good, but there are issues with character positioning that ruin the illusion for me' rather than taking one fault among a lot of success and basing your categorization of the whole animation system on one small subsystem alone!

There you go...;)

It's very bad overall because of its MAJOR problems. Other games might not have 3000 mo capped animations, but the characters don't slide nor twitch nor float around the environment all the time. Jumping in Uncharted looks SO fake because there doesn't seem to be any kind of momentum. It's like he starts flying up and then down. No acceleration or deceleration
at all. Such problems bring the entire system down. It's shows lots of promise, but as along as such issues are fixed, the game is far from having the "best animation system ever".

IMHO of course.

It's very bad overall because of its MAJOR problems. Other games might not have 3000 mo capped animations, but the characters don't slide nor twitch nor float around the environment all the time. Jumping in Uncharted looks SO fake because there doesn't seem to be any kind of momentum. It's like he starts flying up and then down. No acceleration or deceleration
at all. Such problems bring the entire system down. It's shows lots of promise, but as along as such issues are fixed, the game is far from having the "best animation system ever".

IMHO of course.

pre-alpha.

IMHO of course.

I think at this stage, as long as their technology can compose multiple animations and facial expressions together smoothly, it's a win. The acceleration/deceleration, slide and floating problem are not unsolvable. Looking at the pirate animated gif in the other thread, the system shows good potential. The water rippled nicely too.

In fact, I hope to see some twitching and stumbling in the final game. That would make the animation more interesting and varied.

You finally accepted it. Thank god...

I accepted nothing. What you point out are flaws, but nothing wrong with their animation system as such. Why i say pre=alpha is that these flaws can be fixed. But still at this early stage Uncharted still shows off the best ingame animation for any completed, finished game.

Ok, guys, it's either time to accept that you disagree on that matter and move on or to put the things on a more factual basis. The whole "it does" "no it doesn't" talk doesn't get you anywhere.

I accepted nothing. What you point out are flaws, but nothing wrong with their animation system as such. Why i say pre=alpha is that these flaws can be fixed. But still at this early stage Uncharted still shows off the best ingame animation for any completed, finished game.
The state of a build doesn't affect one's current perceptions though. Someone saying 'the current xxx graphics system doesn't look great' is not the same as them saying 'that graphics system is rubbish and will still look rubbish in the final build'. When critiquing trailers and previews, it's always 'as the game is now' with appreciation (and hope) that things will improve. Otherwise all critiques of games should be banned until the final game is released!

Part of reviewing these games is watching how they improve. Seeing limits in engines and seeing how developers get round them. Picking up on alpha and beta release faults is part of that.

The state of a build doesn't affect one's current perceptions though. Someone saying 'the current xxx graphics system doesn't look great' is not the same as them saying 'that graphics system is rubbish and will still look rubbish in the final build'. When critiquing trailers and previews, it's always 'as the game is now' with appreciation (and hope) that things will improve. Otherwise all critiques of games should be banned until the final game is released!

Part of reviewing these games is watching how they improve. Seeing limits in engines and seeing how developers get round them. Picking up on alpha and beta release faults is part of that.

Yes that's why I put in this clause "But still at this early stage Uncharted still shows off the best ingame animation for any completed, finished game."

But hey there's a new video up...really clear of the gameplay...shows some great platforming, and if you look closely you can see the wrinkle map on his clothes (ie. creasing) and his facial expressions changing behind cover. http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/11513

Oh and the download comes out quite good quality. :) enjoy

Back