Gamers Day movies on GameTrailers

Nice to see that sixaxis isn't forced upon gameplay.. Looks to me that they are finding out good ways to use sixaxis instead of trying to force it into gameplay.

What happened to the motion blur in R&C? Without it its flaws are much more noticeable (like low res textures and ugly grass patches among other things). Also, shadows of the environment have no effect on the characters :???:

Uncharted looks very nice, love the lighting, but the animation is very bad. It's mo-capped and all that but it seems like he floats through the environment all the time (it's specially notable when the guy climbs stuff). Hope they fix that.

Uncharted looks very nice, love the lighting, but the animation is very bad. It's mo-capped and all that but it seems like he floats through the environment all the time (it's specially notable when the guy climbs stuff). Hope they fix that.
That's a problem with having uneven surfaces. Either they need more adaptive animations, or a behavioural part to their motion that adjusts for terrain, like Endorphin/Euphoria (forget which is the realtime varient!).

What happened to the motion blur in R&C? Without it its flaws are much more noticeable (like low res textures and ugly grass patches among other things). Also, shadows of the environment have no effect on the characters :???:

I don't think you can say from seeing a slight floating problem in some footage that "the animation is bad". Because the animation is incredible...go watch gamespot.

Hard to pick the most impressive from Rachet, Uncharted and Heavenly Sword....
Uncharted needs a bit of tweeking though, contrast is low in the movie and the screenshots are simply horrible looking, they don't do the game any justice.

Easy to pick the least impressive though... Lair...

When Uncharted comes out I have to get a PS3. This game looks too good. I hope there will be a better quality version of the trailer somewhere.
HS looks great also, but I like Uncharted`s adventure style more. There can`t be enough games of this type for me.

I don't think you can say from seeing a slight floating problem in some footage that "the animation is bad". Because the animation is incredible...go watch gamespot.
It really wasn't "slight", it was present during the entire presentation.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y83/radicalnsx/anim1.gif
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y83/radicalnsx/ANIM2.gif
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y83/radicalnsx/anim3.gif

Assasin's Creed had that problem too last year during the presentation at X06. When Altair climbs his horse at the beggining, he "slides" into position before the animation kicks in.

Easy to pick the least impressive though... Lair...
Oh, here we go...

The game that has me the most excited is Folklore. I really love the style and the gameplay looks solid. It looks like they may have some sixaxis functionality that's not totally horrible. The setting and visual style are very reminiscent of Shadow Hearts.

It really wasn't "slight", it was present during the entire presentation.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y83/radicalnsx/anim1.gif
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y83/radicalnsx/ANIM2.gif
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y83/radicalnsx/anim3.gif

Assasin's Creed had that problem too last year during the presentation at X06. When Altair climbs his horse at the beggining, he "slides" into position before the animation kicks in.

Oh, here we go...

So tell me? In every single one of those gifs you found at neogaf...showed the incredible animation of drake. But it also so showed some floating...which is pretty damn minimal...and since Naughty Dog are perfectionists they will sort that out. I still dont think you can call the ANIMATION crap. It looks incredible

The only one that seems to really be at fault would be anim2. The first one seems like hes stepping onto a small ledge and actually taking a quick step. The third one looks a little awkward. Hopefully by release most of these problems will be fixed.

In the first picture, he unnaturally gets moved to the right (in order to hit that ledge?), either that or hes jumping with the left leg, and for some reason they sped up that part way to much.

Third one he is basically flying until he hits the ledge. (notice that his not jumping or anything, he is supposed to do a large step upwards) Look at how the left foot suddenly moves.

Second one is obvious.

I do find it remarkable how far games have come when we can nitpick at such things

Third one he is basically flying until he hits the ledge. (notice that his not jumping or anything, he is supposed to do a large step upwards) Look at how the left foot suddenly moves.
This one is not very clear, I thought he's sliding there. Anyway those things should be moved to each game thread.

Was watching whole bunch of trailers last night. Someone mentioned that the movement is procedurally generated to "morph" from one stance to the other (probably with some limitations) ? Did I get that right ?

If so, once they polish it up, does it mean that they can smoothen the animation between any 2 intermediate postures ?

Last edited by a moderator:
So tell me? In every single one of those gifs you found at neogaf...showed the incredible animation of drake. But it also so showed some floating...which is pretty damn minimal...and since Naughty Dog are perfectionists they will sort that out. I still dont think you can call the ANIMATION crap. It looks incredible
I didn't call them crap, please don't act like a fanboy and put words in my mouth ;) ; those are only specific examples. The character floats ALL the time, there's no weight to his movement.

In the first picture, he unnaturally gets moved to the right (in order to hit that ledge?), either that or hes jumping with the left leg, and for some reason they sped up that part way to much.
The gif is small, but in the GT HD version you can clearly see that before he moves his feet upwards he's already floating.

I didn't call them crap, please don't act like a fanboy and put words in my mouth ;) ; those are only specific examples. The character floats ALL the time, there's no weight to his movement.

The gif is small, but in the GT HD version you can clearly see that before he moves his feet upwards he's already floating.

Hmmm...maybe you should watch gamespot or the new IGN videos...because the demonstration one that has been shown has the brightness turned right up, meaning that all shadows that may connect the character to the ground were washed out.

And you did say the animations were "bad"...when each clip you showed, illustrated very good animation, but only some floating.

Was watching whole bunch of trailers last night. Someone mentioned that the movement is procedurally generated to "morph" from one stance to the other (probably with some limitations) ? Did I get that right ?

If so, once they polish it up, does it mean that they can smoothen the animation between any 2 intermediate postures ?

Yes I suppose so...but also postures can be layered upon one another...so he can be doing a number of things at the same time, right down to facial animations. Ie. he can be scared and angry at the same time. I loved how there were so many different animations being mixed ON TOP of one another and not just side by side. :)

Hmmm...maybe you should watch gamespot or the new IGN videos...because the demonstration one that has been shown has the brightness turned right up, meaning that all shadows that may connect the character to the ground were washed out.
It has nothing to do with the shadows. But you know, it could also be bad collision box placement and not an animation problem. Also, perhaps the term "floating" is not the most appropiate. The actual motion is more like "sliding".

And you did say the animations were "bad"...when each clip you showed, illustrated very good animation, but only some floating.
Oh god, I don't why I even try. It's like you covered your ears and just want to hear what you want.

I noticed the floatiness as well. Almost as if the friction between the character and the ground/environment is slightly lower than it should be.Otherwise a fantastic and fun looking game.

I'm not too worried about floating characters at this point. What they have now looks pretty, smooth and responsive.

Would be great if they can showcase their animation and facial expression technologies better in future clips.

e.g., Close up of Nathan taking a bullet while kicking someone in mid-air; Nathan rolling forward to pick up ammo, reloading and firing in different gun-fight situations

I'm not too worried about floating characters at this point. What they have now looks pretty, smooth and responsive.

Would be great if they can showcase their animation and facial expression technologies better in future clips.

e.g., Close up of Nathan taking a bullet while kicking someone in mid-air; Nathan rolling forward to pick up ammo, reloading and firing in different gun-fight situations

IGN show some interesting stuff...they have 8 new short videos showing the rolling at least. Also if you watch closely you can see his facial expressions change while he's reloading. Looks very good...but yes we need to see closer!

And L. Scof...I heard everything you said. And I agree with the floating, which is obviously something whihc will be dealt with. But still that doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the animations themselves...unless something is wrong with them...

Back