GamePro gets 360 Debug kit (power supply?)

Dr Evil said:
You do know that the processor in X360 is made by IBM right?.
your right, my fault. long day :p
statement still stands though, we dont know how much power the ps3 will compare to the xbox360 just yet.

Bad_Boy said:
your right, my fault. long day :p
statement still stands though, we dont know how much power the ps3 will compare to the xbox360 just yet.

Well I think it's safe to say it's not drastically less.

I have transformers half the size of that, so maybe it has a hefty variable (so you can have the same model for all countrys) transformer and then all the other power regulation stuff packed in there, with some room between the components to disperse heat.

I'm not so sure it's size will matter, but we'll see. It certainly wouldn't bother me if I was considering buying it, not unless it was really huge.

You get a glimps of a bunch of PSU's in the X360 assembly video and they look the same size as the ones in the pics posted, so maybe these will be the final size.

Bottom vid, 23 secs into it.

Gamespot

Once again how is this confirmed to be the final production model ? From what i can see that picutre gaf is using as proof is from a trade show of some sort and may not be the final power supplys and they may be there for other reasons .

i think everything pretty much points to it that it is.

plus, if they dont even have a psu almost a month before the console ships that would be kind of a iffy situation.

Bad_Boy said:
i think everything pretty much points to it that it is.

plus, if they dont even have a psu almost a month before the console ships that would be kind of a iffy situation.

Of course these can be older models used for stability in a large gaming event where there are tons and tons of electronics drawing on the power grid .

Maybe they're meant to power multuiple consoles?

In the Gamespot video, they show a rack of like 40 X360 being tested in the factory, however it looks like they are all running off only 7 or 8 powerbars.

Just asking

scooby_dooby said:
Maybe they're meant to power multuiple consoles?

In the Gamespot video, they show a rack of like 40 X360 being tested in the factory, however it looks like they are all running off only 7 or 8 powerbars.

Hey scooby and jvd do you care if the PSU is that big in the final version?

MEh, I would prefer if it wasn't, but it's not like it influences my opinion of the console...

The Gamecube PSU is huge too, and it's pretty annoying, but whatever, tuck it away and be done with it.

The size would make no difference to me, since it's going to be hidden under my entertainment center along with the wires, plugbar and backup power supply for my TV, stereo, subwoofer, dvd player, vhs, and satellite receiver.

jvd said:
Of course these can be older models used for stability in a large gaming event where there are tons and tons of electronics drawing on the power grid .
if you say so.

btw, i updated the first post a lil while ago with a new pic if anyone is interested.

People just refuse to believe what's in front of their eyes, I think... well, sometimes, at least. If it's any better proof, element confirmed that the brick in the pic from the expo posted is indeed the final one going into production XBox 360s.

The link to the thread:
http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?p=2090649#post2090649
Posted right before the picture of the GC psu.

Yeah, it's GAF, so take it how you like.

In the end it's not gonna matter, all three will more than likely have bricks. It's pretty obvious the REV will, and if the XBox 360 has one then I'm sure the PS3 will, so everything's still the same. I kinda wish that if they were gonna use a brick that the consoles would be a bit smaller, but I guess that's pushing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
seismologist said:
If Sony can squeeze PS2 power into a system the size of the PSP. I'm betting there wont be a massive power supply like this on the PS3.

The PS2 & the PSP's cpus are based on a totally different process. Cpus have a habit of dye shrinking every year, year & half. And a die shrink drastically cuts the power requirements.

Take a old Pentium 60mhz, and produce it with current used fabs. You can power it with a AA battery. The PS2 is 5 years old? That's at leased 4 shrinks in the process.

Also, lots of routines in the PSP are now hardware based, where in the PS2, you needed to use software routines = lots less efficient = more power usage. Then you need to take in account other power saving technologies that have emerged over the years.

Hell, take a look at the PS2 Slim. I see some people ( fan boys? ) calling out on other forums how bad the xbox360 is with that power supply when the PS2 slim has almost nothing of a power supply. Same deal here.

I rather have a massive external passive cooled PSU, then a small internal PSU that runs hot, ready to burn up, powered by a screaming fan to prevent it from creating a Nuclear meltdown ...

Mefisutoferesu said:
People just refuse to believe what's in front of their eyes, I think... well, sometimes, at least. If it's any better proof, element confirmed that the brick in the pic from the expo posted is indeed the final one going into production XBox 360s.

The link to the thread:
http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?p=2090649#post2090649
Posted right before the picture of the GC psu.

Yeah, it's GAF, so take it how you like.

Seriously Mefisutoferesu you should know that GAF is not that bad. They also have real devs there that comment everyday. Actually I see more devs comment there on a day to day basis than I do here. It's just so many bad trolls that it makes the place look infested.

Bad_Boy said:
if you say so.

btw, i updated the first post a lil while ago with a new pic if anyone is interested.

I'm only asking because as of yet no one has opened a retail box and viewed the power brick inside .

A picture of something at a tradeshow is far from confermation that this is the final power brick . Esp since we've heard other times that the powerbrick would be smaller than the dev kit ones which are nearly the same size as these

jvd said:
I'm only asking because as of yet no one has opened a retail box and viewed the power brick inside .

A picture of something at a tradeshow is far from confermation that this is the final power brick . Esp since we've heard other times that the powerbrick would be smaller than the dev kit ones which are nearly the same size as these

What if a MS game developer said that it is the real thing? Does that count?

mckmas8808 said:
What if a MS game developer said that it is the real thing? Does that count?
which one , where was it said ? How do we know if he has accurate information ?

That is the question . all i see are pics from a trade show as proof

jvd said:
which one , where was it said ? How do we know if he has accurate information ?

That is the question . all i see are pics from a trade show as proof

The pic I posted earlier was not from a trade show, and to the best of my knowledge, they are not debug kits.

Back