GamePro gets 360 Debug kit (power supply?)

Mefisutoferesu said:
I'm sorry, but are my post's invisble to you all or what?!! <Runs out of room crying>

Just curious but how do we know these are production models ?

All these pics of the powerbrick, but no posts on what the power rating is marked on the case? I'm not trying to be facetious, but it seems to be the next logical question to tie a "wattage" to the size of the device we are seeing.

seismologist said:
oh my That thing looks like a fire hazard.

To be honest this is probably part of the reason why it's so big, they need avoid the whole power cord recall the Xbox had so they give you a very robust power supply. I don't think the PS3's will be much smaller, and it t is it'll be more expensive.

robofunk said:
I don't think the PS3's will be much smaller, and it t is it'll be more expensive.

If Sony can squeeze PS2 power into a system the size of the PSP. I'm betting there wont be a massive power supply like this on the PS3.

Well, I woudln't be surprised to see a similarly sized PS for PS3, at all. I don't imagine there is too much leeway to use more or less power once you have x amount of transistors on a y sized die. You want the processing power, you pack in the transistors, and you will have to pay the piper in wattage to make those transistors do work.

The only other thing that I'd expect could make any difference is if X360 PS happens not to be a switching power supply and PS3 PS happens to be one (entering extreme conjecture, here, given how little we really know about these devices other than a mere picture). I think the switching PS vs a conventional PS allows for some efficiency benefits and subsequentially an impact on construction size (the downside is cost, of course, but they are appearing in more and more CE devices, so they can't be too far off in that respect).

seismologist said:
If Sony can squeeze PS2 power into a system the size of the PSP. I'm betting there wont be a massive power supply like this on the PS3.

Wow, worst comparison ever. The PSP is designed to be portable, it's was designed using a power saving architecture years ahead of the PS2.

The power requirements for Xbox 360 and PS3 are probably going to be about the same considering the components they're using. I wouldn't be surprised if the PS3 is even more power hungry then the 360, considering Cell and RSX will be clocked higher then their 360 equivalents.

seismologist said:

I don't really see how those two things are connected...
Anyway PS3 will consume enormous amount of power as is X360 atleast if one compares them to say PS2, which doesn't use that much. I think it's safe to say that the PS3 ps will be about the same size as seen on those X360 pics.

Dr Evil said:
I don't really see how those two things are connected...
Anyway PS3 will consume enormous amount of power as is X360 atleast if one compares them to say PS2, which doesn't use that much. I think it's safe to say that the PS3 ps will be about the same size as seen on those X360 pics.

I hope not. But if it is, then it is.

Powderkeg said:
Hey, it's the ghost trap from Ghost Busters!!!

[]http://thefirehouse.ghostbustersinternational.com/trap.jpg[/]

that's exactly what I was thinking!

Well at least they made it external, so the size of the box can be smaller. That thing looks like you can through it behind the TV and never think about it again. Also if it explodes the console may still be saved.

robofunk said:
I wouldn't be surprised if the PS3 is even more power hungry then the 360, considering Cell and RSX will be clocked higher then their 360 equivalents.
Wernt the older x800 ati cards clocked higher than the 6800's and were also less power hungry? and I beleive the 7800's are less power hungry than the new ATI cards.
I think it really depends on the efficiency of the hardware.

I wouldnt assume much yet. We dont know how much or less power the cell consumes compared to 3 intel processors, and we dont know which will be more efficient-- the rsx or xenos.

Dont jump the gun ;)

robofunk said:
I don't think the PS3's will be much smaller, and it t is it'll be more expensive.
Why don't you check the power supplies you can get for micro-sized PCs. They're much smaller than this ghostbuster trap, and they still contain five separate voltage rails like all PC supplies do. And no, they're not outrageously expensive either, a power supply doesn't contain any particulary esoteric components, it's all basic passive electronics stuff. Caps, resistors, coils, a diode here, a transistor there... Stuff like that. PC supplies are big because they're made that way. Not because you can't make them smaller.

Why is it THAT big?! Makes no sense, it's at least twice the size of other PSUs which have to draw the same amount of power X360 will if not more.

Thank god MS decided to go for an external PSU, i can only imagine how big the X360 would have been with an internal PSU.

Back