Game Disappointments in the Graphics Realm

Well you're not forced to accept mediocre titles - you can just not buy them. And then when Sony sees no-one buying their VR-compromised games, they'll change tack. Of course if Sony has any sense, they won't even try this and have to endure a couple years of dry software sales because of their VR compromised titles. If that's what's happening, which might no be, but TBH it does seem the best explanation to me. But then if that's the case, why isn't it called GTVR and being showcased as a VR game? I suppose if so, Sony still want to sell it to non-VR players.

[/thinking_aloud]

Well you're not forced to accept mediocre titles - you can just not buy them. And then when Sony sees no-one buying their VR-compromised games, they'll change tack. Of course if Sony has any sense, they won't even try this and have to endure a couple years of dry software sales because of their VR compromised titles. If that's what's happening, which might no be, but TBH it does seem the best explanation to me. But then if that's the case, why isn't it called GTVR and being showcased as a VR game? I suppose if so, Sony still want to sell it to non-VR players.

[/thinking_aloud]

100% true. However, you have people who will clamor to things because of past experiences with them... thus allowing the flood gates of excepting anything (mediocre titles). Insert COD title where needed...

looks like the game drastically improved over the few days of the event, with new builds coming.
So we should wait for the real thing to release before final judgement.
Just look back at the first footage of driveclub, final game was much, much better.

Maybe they made the game with high modularity? So they can develop it async between the game stuff and with the visual stuff?

GT has been a showcase title for PS since forever - always a technical and artistic marvel and the reference point for every other racer. We'd expect PD to at least stay with the game instead of be completely overtaken and lapped by absolutely every other racer on the track. Espiecially given then time they're allowed to play with to get everything perfect as Yamauchi likes.

PD just needs more time. Look how long it took them to deliver a game the last time there was a console transition. 6 years between GT4 and GT5. It's only been about 2.5 years since GT6 released. PD are really rushed in comparison to the time they were allowed for GT5. They aren't Turn 10 where they can crank out a new game every 2 years.

Time means they can optimize more, something PD has been allowed to take advantage of in the past. I feel like Sony is pushing/rushing PD to get a GT game out in time for PSVR as racing games are one of the showcases for VR.

Either that or Sony were unhappy with PD for how long it took to develop GT5, and now they actually have deadlines and milestones set and a producer from Sony overseeing them (PD getting the Lionhead Studio treatment where MS had to send a guy [er, girl actually] out to help them try to meet deadlines?). :p

Regards,
SB

I would be very content to play a game like this at 60fps in VR for the price point of the hardware.

And I say this as my Oculus build continues to balloon in price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can see it being very tightly marketed with PS VR too so that framerate I'm sure is a primary concern above many other things. Will also be interesting how PS4 Neo plays into this :D
Exactly, I can see some will buy a PS4 Neo just to get non-cardboard trees on GT Sports. If you start to feel the graphics of the current GT Sports is not enough for you, that's the sign of public demand of an upgraded console. In the PS3 days the optimization process was slower with the complicated architecture, but this time the room for optimization looks smaller and games like Uncharted 4 suggest the potential of the hardware is 99% tapped already, from here on they are at the point they need vectors of evolution other than simply better graphics on a flat screen TV.

Remains to be seen if utmost graphics fidelity is the primary reason gamers buy games. It was never true for 20 years, and all of a sudden gamers would switch to PC for some detail in the scenery. Sure.

If this game is truly supporting VR and the reason for the PS3 like graphics - then I can't support it. As I mentioned before, treat the PSVR as a different platform with its own designated games on supporting it. PS4 owners (especially those who don't care about VR), shouldn't be forced to except mediocre games they enjoyed in the past because of cost saving moves of combining PSVR development/support in PS4 games.

If this is Sony's goal (especially with its own internal games), then I really can't support PSVR. A product I would truly like to support with its "Own Specific Games", that don't effect PS4 specific games.
Yeah, VR better not be the main culprit behind this, if so then just imagine the horror we would suffer if Sony mandates most if not all upcoming first party games to be VR ready. I don't think even Neo could do much to mitigate the lose in graphics fidelity.

This would sure piss off more than a good chunk of core players who ain't want no business with VR:(. Well there's always DC, PCars and AC.

VR is the most significant upgrade to driving games since driving wheel peripherals, and brings both better graphics and gameplay - seeing depth both through head movement and 3D, looking into a corner naturally, being able to better track cars around you etc., but also the emotional experience when you drive down or up a hill or just actually feeling that you are sitting in that car, being able to look at all the details around you. I bet the game will be the better for it in every way, including graphics (solid frame rates for the win).

And only one of those other games you mention actually has better graphics if you ignore that it runs at 30fps. And all of them support or will support (DriveClub) in the future. So ... Yeah, I mildly disagree ;)

Last edited:
VR is the most significant upgrade to driving games since driving wheel peripherals, and brings both better graphics and gameplay - seeing depth both through head movement and 3D, looking into a corner naturally, being able to better track cars around you etc., but also the emotional experience when you drive down or up a hill or just actually feeling that you are sitting in that car, being able to look at all the details around you. I bet the game will be the better for it in every way, including graphics (solid frame rates for the win).

And only one of those other games you mention actually has better graphics if you ignore that it runs at 30fps. And all of them support or will support (DriveClub) in the future. So ... Yeah, I mildly disagree ;)

This is fine. I 100% agree in theory.

What I don't agree with, is the nerfing of one platform over the other. That's not to say PSVR shouldn't have a Gran Turismo game... it should! The problem is that Sony is pushing new technology by cross-platforming VR games and PS4 games into one platform. Which is a terrible move, IMHO. And let's be honest, it's a business decision on cost saving measures.

As I stated many times, these are two distinctive products, that deserves their own branding and personal development teams.

I disagree that they are distinctive products. And so do basically all other racing games that also support VR on PC.

Perhaps there are games where VR should be considered a separate platform, but racing and flight sims aren't one of them.

This is fine. I 100% agree in theory.

What I don't agree with, is the nerfing of one platform over the other. That's not to say PSVR shouldn't have a Gran Turismo game... it should! The problem is that Sony is pushing new technology by cross-platforming VR games and PS4 games into one platform. Which is a terrible move, IMHO. And let's be honest, it's a business decision on cost saving measures.

As I stated many times, these are two distinctive products, that deserves their own branding and personal development teams.
Ideally and in principle, I agree with you that it is a drawback.

Practically though, given the goals of Polphony, and the work they need to do, and the goals and financial sense of Sony with PS VR and GT as a brand, I don't think it is necessarily wrong.

It's just difference in the decision-making process. I don't think overall it will reflect poorly on GT though. VR needs GT. But maybe at this stage to succeed GT needs VR almost as much to differentiate itself.

Not that other racing games don't have VR, but GT has the unique position of being the VR driving game specifically for PS VR.

I disagree that they are distinctive products. And so do basically all other racing games that also support VR on PC.

Perhaps there are games where VR should be considered a separate platform, but racing and flight sims aren't one of them.

How is PSVR and PS4 not distinctive products/platforms? :confused:

Not that other racing games don't have VR, but GT has the unique position of being the VR driving game specifically for PS VR.

Which puzzles me!? The announcement/conference didn’t mention anything about VR support... as well as the huge ass PS4 banner announcing Gran Turismo Sports coming soon. For a product Sony wants everyone to know about (especially around a flagship AAA title), they're sure being coy about it.

I think they are saving a lot of the big news for E3 on the PS VR front. If GT is a big part of those plans, and I imagine it is, I'm hoping we see more then.

Neo announcement is also apparently coming in a few months, so we might see even more about PS VR and GT then maybe.

I disagree that they are distinctive products.
If the rendering requirements are different then they are different products.
And so do basically all other racing games that also support VR on PC.
These have the luxury of targeting a visual style and letting the users choose to pay for hardware that supports it or not. On PS4, users don't have that choice meaning the dev has to picmk a visual style. Will they pick the best possible for TV users (1080p60) or the best possible for VR (2160p60 up to 2160p120)? If PD have picked the latter and designed a game to look good on PSVR, they are compromising the experience for their TV users.

There absolutely should be a TV SKU or mode and a VR product if Sony still want to sell to TV users. Or, they have the option to sell a sub-par TV experience to TV users and hope they still buy in, but they shouldn't be surprised if the response isn't too enthusiastic when other devs are producing racing games targeting the TV users and pro viding a tailored experience.

Back