Game Disappointments in the Graphics Realm

Gran Turismo always tries to be 60fps anyway. ;) Only the replays have been 30fps for a while now.

GT6 have some tracks with significant slowdowns below 60 specially when there's a few cars in a bunch, I hope that won't happen too much in GTS. But yeah, since they need a rock solid 60 for VR anyway, that optimization job will be mandatory.

If what we're seeing now is what we will have in VR, it will be the most beautiful VR game at PSVR launch.

Maybe it's 120 Hz native VR? That'd tally with PD 'bleeding edge' tech before like quad screens on networked PS3s.

I'm actually curious if there is any game out there that solves Minecraft's aliasing problem. They don't wanna use standard filtering on their textures because the huge flat texels are part of their pixel-art based art style, but then their texel edges get no AA whatsoever... Is there some way to do hard big blocky texels with good filtering at texel edges without a custom shader, or would such a simple use case not even be that expensive of a shader.

Regarding shadow resolution, remember they have to deal with <60% of the memory bandwidth per frame compared to Driveclub as they're rendering twice as many frames per second.

PS4 has to grapple with memory contention with the cpu or gpucompute simulating a dozen ai & physics which will further degrade bandwidth to the gpu. So they have to balance how they use that system limitation.

Last edited:
Yes it's very true, I bet they are aiming for 60 fps in gameplay like in all previous titles. Even though GT5 and GT6 may have had dips, they did reach 60 fps really well too. Those games look very excellent for PS3, even with 60 fps, so I'm just hoping Polyphony can capitalize on the extra power in PS4 compared to PS3 to really wow us! :)

I can see it being very tightly marketed with PS VR too so that framerate I'm sure is a primary concern above many other things. Will also be interesting how PS4 Neo plays into this :D

I think car racing games on the consoles are at diminishing returns.

The consoles aren't that powerful and people expect massive leaps while having 60fps. Expectations should be reset or move to a PC variant.

Good lord this game looks ugly, you have 1.84tf of raw power and a good chunk of GDDR5, sure not impressive by pc standard but hell you still give me 2d cardboard trees:confused:. I knew it's not gonna be Driveclub but I didn't expect PD to half ass on the graphics like this. Maybe the real GT7 would get the full current gen treatment.

I think car racing games on the consoles are at diminishing returns.

The consoles aren't that powerful and people expect massive leaps while having 60fps. Expectations should be reset or move to a PC variant.
GT has been a showcase title for PS since forever - always a technical and artistic marvel and the reference point for every other racer. We'd expect PD to at least stay with the game instead of be completely overtaken and lapped by absolutely every other racer on the track. Espiecially given then time they're allowed to play with to get everything perfect as Yamauchi likes.

Good lord this game looks ugly, you have 1.84tf of raw power and a good chunk of GDDR5, sure not impressive by pc standard but hell you still give me 2d cardboard trees:confused:. I knew it's not gonna be Driveclub but I didn't expect PD to half ass on the graphics like this. Maybe the real GT7 would get the full current gen treatment.

Most of the threes aren't though? Sure there are some ugly screenshots to be made of rough footage but we'll see what it is like at the end.

Forza has everything prebaked, so not really comparable.

GT has been a showcase title for PS since forever - always a technical and artistic marvel and the reference point for every other racer. We'd expect PD to at least stay with the game instead of be completely overtaken and lapped by absolutely every other racer on the track. Espiecially given then time they're allowed to play with to get everything perfect as Yamauchi likes.

Which part of GT?

Replay mode? screen shot mode? premium cars on premium tracks?

GT went from what you describe into a mess with GT5 by mixing shit with shine in the effort of going after big numbers in terms of cars and tracks.

Let's see how GT Sport turns out. So far they seem to be promoting way less cars which is a good thing.

Forza can't keep up with GT this time around simply due to the XB1 being notably weaker than than the PS4 so they have that going for them in the inevitable comparisons.

I don't agree so much. I think GT5 is very good looking, and GT6 is particularly exceptional.

I'm actually a little sad it seems many people skipped out on GT6 after GT5, it has much lower sales than even GT4. It really is an excellent game in so many ways. The GT2/GT4 of the PS3 generation easily.

If this game is truly supporting VR and the reason for the PS3 like graphics - then I can't support it. As I mentioned before, treat the PSVR as a different platform with its own designated games on supporting it. PS4 owners (especially those who don't care about VR), shouldn't be forced to except mediocre games they enjoyed in the past because of cost saving moves of combining PSVR development/support in PS4 games.

If this is Sony's goal (especially with its own internal games), then I really can't support PSVR. A product I would truly like to support with its "Own Specific Games", that don't effect PS4 specific games.

Back