GAF implodes after owner Evilore is accused of sexual assault

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by mrcorbo, Oct 22, 2017.

1. BadTB25

Veteran

Disagree. Without good mods on this forum, we'd have some really nutty chaos.
    You probably meant this tongue in cheek, but just in case....

2. McHuj

Veteran Regular Subscriber

HMBR likes this.
  3. mpg1

Veteran Newcomer

A good thing...at least imo.

4. RobertR1

RobertR1 Pro
    Legend

Xbat and Ike Turner like this.
  5. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

Wouldn't mind if they still kept some of the tangentially related topics surrounding TV/Movies/Anime/hobbies.

6. mpg1

Veteran Newcomer

Yeah after thinking about it some more maybe a better solution would not be to get rid of Off-Topic completely as much as it would be to create a "Politics Subforum" under Off-Topic to siphon all politics talk into there. Including video game related politics...

7. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

If that were a good idea, you'd think some forward-thinking, elite online gaming community would already be doing that. :yep2:

8. MrFox

MrFox Deludedly Fantastic
    Legend Veteran

I'm still trying to understand WTF happened.

The internet is creating some ridiculously overblown fantasy around what looks like a mildly opportunistic power play from a politically exploitable event.

I believe you are being played to create a mass movement which would be profitable to one group, against another group.

9. Rangers

Legend

Forum message now says Neogaf will be "back online shortly"

Yep.

I also thought it kind of funny the one thing the landing page still featured the last couple days was ads. but of course, gotta worry about those $ first.

It's a shame because Tyler's tyranny was why the thing imploded and that wont change as long as he's at the helm. I would have liked to see Neogaf return under new managment.

My opinion is that the accusations themselves were shaky at best. I'd just rather see Tyler gone regardless.

I'm not sure how that would have been materially different. The Neogaf OT was substantially politics (although hardly only, of course).

It was just toxic to the core, as much due to admin as anything, just like the rest of the forum ( far worse actually). Basically a lot of herd mentality backed by Neogaf's "ban anybody we don't agree with" credo.

#89 Rangers, Oct 24, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    BRiT likes this.
  10. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

like we're talking a long con EvE online style?

11. MrFox

Legend Veteran

I freely admit I am not really familiar with the managerial approach of that discussion forum, but everything I read so far didn't rise above the level of gossip.

My understanding of the words fascism and tyranny usually involve actual human suffering and death.

12. mrcorbo

mrcorbo Foo Fighter
    Veteran

The place was a powder-keg waiting to blow. It'll be interesting to see how many go right back, how many join ResetEra and how many stay with the lifeboat forums they have been hanging out in while they wait for the situation to resolve. One things for certain, NeoGAF is going to lose a chunk of it's membership. The question is how big of one and will it recover with time.

egoless likes this.
  13. dobwal

Legend Veteran

Can u elaborate? What groups are you referring?

#93 dobwal, Oct 24, 2017
  14. Rangers

Legend

The forum has reopened...and it aint pretty.

Quite a lot of built up resentment it seems...

15. Rangers

Legend

You've never seen Neogaf moderation then badumtish!

It was basically arbitrary, capricious, circle jerk, echo chamber, so forth so on.

Go check it out right now and ask what could have engendered that many people to harbor a grudge against evilore and you'll have your answer.

BadTB25 likes this.
  16. mrcorbo

mrcorbo Foo Fighter
    Veteran

And the moderators are now anonymous. That doesn't seem great.

17. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

Maybe as @MrFox might say, "No, that's beautiful!"

18. MrFox

Legend Veteran

You know me so well!

19. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

If everyone hated it so much, why'd they hang around so long? :-?

"In my free time, I'm going to hang out at an annoying club that doesn't work at all the way I like and get frustrated and angry."

20. Rangers

Legend

Well, Neogaf is really popular. That feeds on itself and makes it impossible to stop after a point.

The one thing evil evilore knows is how to make the site extremely minimalist and readable. After a certain size it got too big to fail. Sadly I dont have a lot of hope for the apparent GAF-alternates springing up of ex members either. The URL is all in this case. Even I am back to reading almost as normal. For example, it's really the only place that susses out NPD numbers.

I guess many notable high profile respected members (like Durante) have joined the alternate forums though. For what thats worth.

Besides I think most just read. the posters are the mod approved sycophants mostly.

Clearly a large percent of the forum considered themselves basically captives going by what happened! It should be sobering to evilore to realize everybody hated him, and the thin veneer of order was just that. I doubt he gets it at all though. I noticed one of his big explanations was when the revolt started he was too "soft and weak" initially in reaction. Sounding just like a third world despot. In other words the beatings will continue until moral improves.

The whole thing is kind of a case study of authoritarianism, except instead of North Korea it's just a forum.

One example that sticks out to me is in an old interview Evilore touted his "hands on" moderation policy. At the first sign a new member "is going to behave like a youtube commenter" they're permabanned, he explained.

Sounds nice enough, until you realize trolling was not only allowed there by moderation, but encouraged. It just had to be the right KIND of trolling.

#100 Rangers, Oct 24, 2017
    RootKit likes this.