GAF implodes after owner Evilore is accused of sexual assault

I also feel like there has to be a typical disclaimer said where none of us here are trying to make light of horrible real-life situations and how the allegations should be treated with the respect and somberness they deserve. The reactions and discussions to that aspect certainly belongs in RPSC.

Here is the RPSC Thread for the serious aspects: https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/so-neogaf.60450/

However, what most are discussing, watching, and reacting to in this thread is the ensuing meltdown phenomena.

Evilore should just sell the site. No sense in destroying the community over the actions of the owner. Ditch the owner and allow the site to live on without a dark cloud over the community.

Evilore should just sell the site. No sense in destroying the community over the actions of the owner. Ditch the owner and allow the site to live on without a dark cloud over the community.
I was thinking the fact that all the mods have actively shut down the site might be a good strategy. Either he sells off the site or he loses everything anyway. Nobody will want to work there as long as he's still owning it. This could be the best outcome and I and puzzled by the way people are associating the actions on one person to everyone else around.

Shouldn't we applaud all the mods for expressing their disgust? Support whatever they do next together?

I was thinking the fact that all the mods have actively shut down the site might be a good strategy. Either he sells of the site or he loses everything anyway. Nobody will want to work there as long as he's still owning it. This could be the best outcome and I and puzzled by the way people are associating the actions on one person to everyone else around.

Shouldn't we applaud all the mods for expressing their disgust? Support whatever they do next together?

That would depend on how you felt about the mods, I guess.

That would depend on how you felt about the mods, I guess.
Yeah, I have no idea, I probably read 0.001% of the posts so I can't see any pattern either way. Was the problem the owner or the mods? The defectors seem to imply the owner was not a nice person regardless of this bombshell.

Word on the neogaf discord is that a proper successor w/ way more transparency and less opinion enforcing is in the works to take what worked and toss what didn't. The whole discipline system is going to get reworked to be open, visible and less absolute. It's got notable community involvement from gaf members and a couple previous mods are also contributing (but they're not in charge and I'm not sure which). Probably as close to official as it's going to get. Obviously zero involvement from Malka, won't even have neo or gaf in the name.
They want to recreate a similar environment for discussion while throwing out evilore's climate of suppression. Plus adding new features with newer forum technology while they're at it. Registration will still be limited for reasons geonaf made obvious this morning, however they're looking into ways to get previous members back in to claim their identities.

Okay sounds good on the surface, but "a couple mods" sounds like any project with one or two of them will be trying to claim to be the next gaf. Not a proper successor, they will create a bunch of mini-gaf. One one them might succeed though. They need that users database dump to validate previous identities. Legal issues through the roof if they are not owners of gaf assets.

Last edited:
Yeah, I have no idea, I probably read 0.001% of the posts so I can't see any pattern either way. Was the problem the owner or the mods? The defectors seem to imply the owner was not a nice person regardless of this bombshell.

Hard to say. The moderation process was pretty much a black box. There are cases I'm aware of where people were perma-banned and never told why. Others seemed to be leading charmed lives and could pretty much do or say anything (within reason). With no transparency, it's hard to say who was at fault.

Can we hire two old mods and tell everyone we're the true gaf successor?
It's simpler than their plan, the b3d console forum is already up.:runaway:

I'm kidding!

Wow this is absolutely nuts. I noticed the site had been "down for maintenance" for an awfully long time, but had no idea this was going on until 30 seconds ago. no idea.

This is...wow. I really had no idea.

As much as I hated aspects of that site (such as the groupthink, tyrannical modstaff etc) it was a daily browsing staple for YEARS. It's literally crazy not being able to check it every ten minutes. As terrible as the modding was it was a great news aggregator and easy to read.

I have got to assume the Neogaf domain is far from dead. There's $ to be made.

Last edited:
Lol. Well quite a few of their members are here. I see familiar usernames. Most of the times they just ask questions. Few are willing to really dive into the technical aspects that B3D is known for.

I'd say we should continue to focus on what we're good at. Many of their technical threads had a lot of misinformation and so much of it so quickly since they were suffering from the echo chamber effect. The pace of B3D seems to match its content better, at least wrt signal to noise ratio.

Can't speak for the full forum though.

Evilore built a large community, he should take more accountability. Creating something and then destroying it for some irresponsible actions is just SMH.

Well me too, but we're obviously not the ones who posted it. Where the hell is that popcorn emoji?!? Also, no thread about GAF would be complete without animated gifs!

View attachment 2261
Aw, you brought me a chair and we're sharing a bowl of popcorn watching this one...does that mean it's our first date? ;)

There are a lot of happy GamerGaters out there.
Why? Seriously, I'm clueless about what's been going on and don't understand why the GG would be happy about this. (Also, have they turned into a pure misogynistic neo-nazi group yet? ;) :p )

Hard to say. The moderation process was pretty much a black box. There are cases I'm aware of where people were perma-banned and never told why. Others seemed to be leading charmed lives and could pretty much do or say anything (within reason). With no transparency, it's hard to say who was at fault.

Well, apparently someone did a pretty comprehensive write-up on the history of issues with Evilore and NeoGAF's moderators with supporting links. It's quite a read and corroborates some of the accusations I've seen thrown around.

https://nickmonroe.blog/2017/04/12/neogafs-shadows-iv-in-moderation/

Back