GAF implodes after owner Evilore is accused of sexual assault

yea good luck for new forums to take over GAF.
Domain names that are successful in size and number that have been around for 15+ years is effectively prime real estate. All search engines have them as highly relevant and people won't stop checking.

And the moderators are now anonymous. That doesn't seem great.

I am not so sure. Regardless of the forum at hand, when members who are moderators participate in discussion, there can often times be the perception of bias that is in control of the forum. Perception is reality, and when the body of members feel like moderators use their "power" to control the narrative you will get people upset. Its one things to have a controversial debate with a another random member, and its a totally different vibe if that member is a moderator.

I am not so sure. Regardless of the forum at hand, when members who are moderators participate in discussion, there can often times be the perception of bias that is in control of the forum. Perception is reality, and when the body of members feel like moderators use their "power" to control the narrative you will get people upset. Its one things to have a controversial debate with a another random member, and its a totally different vibe if that member is a moderator.

The lack of transparency in the moderation process was a huge problem, IMO. This goes further in that direction. And the moderators being anonymous doesn't change anything about what you are saying anyway. People just won't know when someone with an investment in the discussion has control of the flow of information.

Banned. His console-related insanity was fine, but his Hillary Clinton-related insanity was unacceptable.

When Sony finally unlocks the ability for the PS4 to playback UHD BluRays, he won't be around to do a victory lap. :(
I missed that, probably because I never read the political posts, it's a mental health defence mechanism.

It's funny I was one of the first to say it could be done in firmware with some drives, before UHD BR specs existed. I ended up being wrong, only high end burners released late could do that as planned. It was partly because of the imlse dsp power required. He just continued to run with it forever.

No insider will touch that forum for a very long time. Understandably so.

Evilore's explanation is likely why the mods jumped ship as they'd have to believe him and work through the fallout of his statement.

The "ghost moderation" going forward is just icing on the cake of bad ideas.

He should have a hired a PR firm to help with this. I can't imagine handling it worse than he has already.

Yeah it definitely would have been better to setup a Political subforum in Off Topic to "contain it" rather than outright eliminating Off-Topic as now you've alienated a segment of the userbase and worse they are posting in the Gaming Forum (which will probably piss off the people only there for gaming news).

That being said watching this unfold...GAF was weird. The culture and behaviour on that site I can only describe as over-the-top mob mentality behind the guise of "progressiveness" that seemed assisted by the mods.

Yeah it definitely would have been better to setup a Political subforum in Off Topic to "contain it" rather than outright eliminating Off-Topic as now you've alienated a segment of the userbase and worse they are posting in the Gaming Forum (which will probably piss off the people only there for gaming news).

That being said watching this unfold...GAF was weird. The culture and behaviour on that site I can only describe as over-the-top mob mentality behind the guise of "progressiveness" that seemed assisted by the mods.

The problem in my opinion was that the people from ot would try and hijack the gaming side all the time. It would be almost impossible in the last couple of years to go to the gaming side and not have some thread corrupted by racist,sexual harassment or political talk.

I'm not condoning those behaviors but for the love of God when I visit a gaming forum I want to read about games.

"In my free time, I'm going to hang out at an annoying club that doesn't work at all the way I like and get frustrated and angry."

"Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded." - Yogi Berra.

GAF is back up and personally I'm glad. If I were to avoid every place, real or virtual, based on the worst person who might be encountered there, I'd never get beyond my front door.

How is this one person representative of the entire site exactly?

I see a typical political discussion.

Didn't NEOG say they wouldn't have political discussions anymore? If so, why is that discussion going on there?

Didn't NEOG say they wouldn't have political discussions anymore? If so, why is that discussion going on there?
It's the thread about those restrictions. Feedback from racists and homophobes is going to happen there. And bans so far that I have seen are not really disagreeable. You have to see the context which isn't obvious if you isolate one post.

Still a horrible discussion but not unexpectedly so.

Last edited:
It's the thread about those restrictions. Feedback from racists and homophobes is going to happen there. And bans so far that I have seen are not really disagreeable. You have to see the context which isn't obvious if you isolate one post.

That makes sense. Who would have thought all that chaos would be contained in their Policy Announcement thread.

:D

Those who want to talk about games are talking in the designated gaming threads, so far. That thread is called "NeoGAF will always respect women/racial minorities/lgbt". It's a nice magnet I suppose, one would say... a beautiful magnet...

The big question mark for most of the normal posters seems to be whether the new policy will be enforced fairly. Reading this, there is a LOT of people to ban.

I don't know who "bish" is or whether he's still a mod there, but supposedly he's the guy in charge of validating insiders credentials. As far as I'm concerned, if he was leaving it would be the death of good leaks. Which is what I care about.:LOL:

Those who want to talk about games are talking in the designated gaming threads, so far. That thread is called "NeoGAF will always respect women/racial minorities/lgbt". It's a nice magnet I suppose, one would say... a beautiful magnet...

The big question mark for most of the normal posters seems to be whether the new policy will be enforced fairly. Reading this, there is a LOT of people to ban.

I don't know who "bish" is or whether he's still a mod there, but supposedly he's the guy in charge of validating insiders credentials. As far as I'm concerned, if he was leaving it would be the death of good leaks. Which is what I care about.:LOL:

Bish is long gone. He was reportedly working with the OpenCritic guys on their thing.

Prime example of Neogaf's lack of self-awareness extremist culture:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=252810781&postcount=803

Seems to me more like standard regressive leftism: charmless, illiterate fools, with no historical knowledge or perspective, hurling the standard bag of post modern slurs so that they may claim moral superiority.

Then they take their conditioning out into the real world, become a white knight, and plough some chubby, blue haired, third wave feminist, who then declares rape afterwards because she didn't sign a contract.

What a beautiful world.

Back