GAF implodes after owner Evilore is accused of sexual assault

It sounds like Evilores crime was just an excuse for the admin staff to rise up. Like they had been waiting their chance.

To be fair two mods were involved in pedophile. The board had also turned into a huge SJW website where any other opinions would be banned. There were huge 50-100 page threads about the weinstein stuff and affleck and so on saying they should all apologize and leave their companies and so on just based on if a girl claimed missconduct. So its really ironic that the same thing has taken the site down .

Why? Seriously, I'm clueless about what's been going on and don't understand why the GG would be happy about this. (Also, have they turned into a pure misogynistic neo-nazi group yet? ;) :p )

For the same reason a progressive might celebrate a conservative public official who campaigned on a homophobic platform being outed as gay. They hate the stance that Evilore and the NeoGAF moderation team have taken on social issues and Evilore's hypocrisy in running afoul of those same positions by his actions, in their minds, serves to invalidate those positions. The fact that the site itself is going down with him is everything a GG'er could hope for.

Last edited:
Years ago Evilore supposedly turned down a 5 million offer (IIRC it was 5m, a lot anyway) for the site. Wonder how much it is supposedly worth now. A lot more. Is even 100 million too out there?

Evilore and the much of the moderators staff always came across as toxic. The way they mistreated so many people on that forum, banning people for just about anything, I'm not surprised you see toxicity reflected in the real world. So the fact he also abuses his power in the real world like the online world where he acts as a dictator comes as no surprise, that combined with lots of alcohol I can see someone like this making a poor decision sexually assaulting a woman.

Last edited:
I just read the Kotaku article and there is this statement in it.

"In a phone conversation with Kotaku, Leupp said that even after the alleged shower incident, she’d continued her friendship and even had a brief physical relationship with Malka until they had a falling out at E3 2015."

Which if true makes me question the whole thing.

https://kotaku.com/neogaf-goes-dark-after-sexual-misconduct-allegation-aga-1819755151

I feel social media has become or is becoming a wild west type place where people can make accusations and ruin people's lives without proof. I'm not saying people are lying or defending either side just that without proof or context it becomes a he said she said situation.

GG actually has nothing to do with it. This was all self-inflicted.

Well, I see on both sides egos running out of control creating a drama nobody (should) give a shit about outside the people involved. Do we really care about somebody's else sexual encounters during showers? We weren't there.

Personally I've always considered neogaf an ego driven juvenile cesspit and that its moderation now imploded doesn't surprise me.

Well, I see on both sides egos running out of control creating a drama nobody (should) give a shit about outside the people involved. Do we really care about somebody's else sexual encounters during showers? We weren't there.

Personally I've always considered neogaf an ego driven juvenile cesspit and that its moderation now imploded doesn't surprise me.

There's no sides. It's just GAF members reacting the way they have been to other examples of this. It's just this time all the anger was focused inward. I'll say this for them, the members who had been vocal about their beliefs in this area were just as determined to burn it all down when their own community was in the crosshairs.

I feel social media has become or is becoming a wild west type place where people can make accusations and ruin people's lives without proof. I'm not saying people are lying or defending either side just that without proof or context it becomes a he said she said situation.
I couldnt agree more.

And in this case, a large portion of angry gamers participating in the forums who were looking for an excuse to burn down the place, now found it.
It is a perfect excuse for revenge.

Whatever actually happened between them is irrelevant for these people.

Site would be better without the off topic section. Most of the hiveminded witch hunts would start there, get traction and leak into the gaming and community sections.

As crazy as the gaming side circle jerks were, they were at their core out of passion and not agenda driven as was routinely the case in off-topic.

Which if true makes me question the whole thing.

The way people were talking, I thought there was absolute evidence of foul play. I wouldn't have thought the Mod team would drop everything based on an allegation. That's a great way to ruin people's lives, if just making an allegation can get them sacked and socially outcast, as there's no defence. All the protestations of innocence in the world, just takes a few 'no smoke without fire' repetitions to brainwash the masses. This is why we have the law courts, in theory, rather than stupid copyright and patent cases worth billions, to ensure everyone is treated fairly based on what they have or haven't done, and a principle of 'innocent until proven guilty' to stop people jumping ton conclusions and treating others unfairly. I guess in reality the limitations of being human have dragged the legal system down to the common mentality. Why wait to find a proper course of action when we can grab the torches and pitchforks now and can always apologise down the line if it turns out they were innocent?

Strange women in general. You dont know what to expect, what they like or what they mean.

Sent from my SM-J320F using Tapatalk

@BRiT what exactly are we supposed to discuss here that's not RPSC?

NeoGAF didn't go down in flames because of a single sexual harassment accusation in social media.
It went down because of the irony in the mod/admin team bathing themselves in self-righteousness from extreme-left and 3rd-wave feminism ideologies while the person who propelled all of this was publicly accused of sexually harassing women, again.

That's the sole reason for the site going down, and it's pure RPSC... Or is there something more that I'm missing?

BTW, lots of sexually harassed women (and men, even) speaking up right now because of the Weinstein controversy, so more abusers being outed. I for one think this is great, at the very least for sexual harassers becoming afraid of doing their thing.

GG actually has nothing to do with it. This was all self-inflicted.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the 100% totalitarian ruling took over when GG happened? It was a time period where many figures in gaming communities took the "with us or against us" stance, and evilore made sure to kick all the mods with moderate opinions about the whole thing.

What's strange is kotaku being the only one with that info, which makes it a victim-blaming-esque article.
Even assuming they dated after the shower episode, why would this woman make such a statement that would pretty much discredit her whole accusation?

What's strange is kotaku being the only one with that info, which makes it a victim-blaming-esque article.
Even assuming they dated after the shower episode, why would this woman make such a statement that would pretty much discredit her whole accusation?
Because there's a sexual harassment motion encouraging people to speak up, and making people (re)consider events. At the time she may have felt harassed. Then she may have gotten over it as a fairly alcohol-inspired, miserable experience which she put behind them and remained friends. Then with the #metoo motion, she's looking back at that event and emotions are shifting back towards what they were at that particular experience. Human beings can just be irrational and fly in the face of hard evidence and facts, yet people's brains can still manage to cling onto the falsehoods, because emotion can have more sway than reason. That's how it's possible the woman could make a statement that discredits her whole accusation, though there's probably zero evidence and just two contrary word-of-mouth opinions.

The problem with emotions is they are short-term and prone to change on external influence. Actions of the time feel fine, only to be regretted later. It's possible for societies to be stirred into frenzies and lose control. Having worked in schools I've been a little on the receiving end of the latest witch-hunt, not just me but many others I've worked with, where an interpretation of a totally innocuous, genuine action has been interpreted negatively based on contemporary gestalt fears (all the 1970s child abuse allegations etc.). The same actions in another time and place would have been interpreted for what they were. This is where revising/revisiting history can lead to all sorts of problems - current emotions change perception and thinkings, producing the classic reality-distortion field.

Anything as emotional as this needs a lot of wisdom and intelligence to deal with properly; way more than humanity has ever had.

Back