GAF implodes after owner Evilore is accused of sexual assault

Here's a Waypoint article on the situation that summarizes the story fairly well.

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/art...neogafs-last-48-hoursd?utm_source=wptwitterus

The future of NeoGAF is unclear. All sorts of NeoGAF alternatives have been popping up, but an heir to the throne is unlikely to emerge so quickly. Just moments ago, Malka told me NeoGAF should be fully operational later this evening, and in the near future, will be restructured to more exclusively focus on video games. NeoGAF will apparently move "away from the increasingly untenable off-topic discussions that made 2017 such a stressful year for everyone."

A good thing...at least imo.

Wouldn't mind if they still kept some of the tangentially related topics surrounding TV/Movies/Anime/hobbies.

Wouldn't mind if they still kept some of the tangentially related topics surrounding TV/Movies/Anime/hobbies.

Yeah after thinking about it some more maybe a better solution would not be to get rid of Off-Topic completely as much as it would be to create a "Politics Subforum" under Off-Topic to siphon all politics talk into there. Including video game related politics...

I'm still trying to understand WTF happened.

The internet is creating some ridiculously overblown fantasy around what looks like a mildly opportunistic power play from a politically exploitable event.

I believe you are being played to create a mass movement which would be profitable to one group, against another group.

Forum message now says Neogaf will be "back online shortly"

Yep.

I also thought it kind of funny the one thing the landing page still featured the last couple days was ads. but of course, gotta worry about those $ first.

It's a shame because Tyler's tyranny was why the thing imploded and that wont change as long as he's at the helm. I would have liked to see Neogaf return under new managment.

My opinion is that the accusations themselves were shaky at best. I'd just rather see Tyler gone regardless.

Yeah after thinking about it some more maybe a better solution would not be to get rid of Off-Topic completely as much as it would be to create a "Politics Subforum" under Off-Topic to siphon all politics talk into there. Including video game related politics...

I'm not sure how that would have been materially different. The Neogaf OT was substantially politics (although hardly only, of course).

It was just toxic to the core, as much due to admin as anything, just like the rest of the forum ( far worse actually). Basically a lot of herd mentality backed by Neogaf's "ban anybody we don't agree with" credo.

Last edited:

The internet is creating some ridiculously overblown fantasy around what looks like a mildly opportunistic power play from a politically exploitable event.

I believe you are being played to create a mass movement which would be profitable to one group, against another group.
like we're talking a long con EvE online style?

I freely admit I am not really familiar with the managerial approach of that discussion forum, but everything I read so far didn't rise above the level of gossip.

My understanding of the words fascism and tyranny usually involve actual human suffering and death.

I freely admit I am not really familiar with the managerial approach of that discussion forum, but everything I read so far didn't rise above the level of gossip.

My understanding of the words fascism and tyranny usually involve actual human suffering and death.

The place was a powder-keg waiting to blow. It'll be interesting to see how many go right back, how many join ResetEra and how many stay with the lifeboat forums they have been hanging out in while they wait for the situation to resolve. One things for certain, NeoGAF is going to lose a chunk of it's membership. The question is how big of one and will it recover with time.

Can u elaborate? What groups are you referring?

Last edited:

You've never seen Neogaf moderation then badumtish!

It was basically arbitrary, capricious, circle jerk, echo chamber, so forth so on.

Go check it out right now and ask what could have engendered that many people to harbor a grudge against evilore and you'll have your answer.

It was basically arbitrary, capricious, circle jerk, echo chamber, so forth so on.

Go check it out right now and ask what could have engendered that many people to harbor a grudge against evilore and you'll have your answer.

And the moderators are now anonymous. That doesn't seem great.

If everyone hated it so much, why'd they hang around so long? :-?

"In my free time, I'm going to hang out at an annoying club that doesn't work at all the way I like and get frustrated and angry."

Well, Neogaf is really popular. That feeds on itself and makes it impossible to stop after a point.

The one thing evil evilore knows is how to make the site extremely minimalist and readable. After a certain size it got too big to fail. Sadly I dont have a lot of hope for the apparent GAF-alternates springing up of ex members either. The URL is all in this case. Even I am back to reading almost as normal. For example, it's really the only place that susses out NPD numbers.

I guess many notable high profile respected members (like Durante) have joined the alternate forums though. For what thats worth.

Besides I think most just read. the posters are the mod approved sycophants mostly.

Clearly a large percent of the forum considered themselves basically captives going by what happened! It should be sobering to evilore to realize everybody hated him, and the thin veneer of order was just that. I doubt he gets it at all though. I noticed one of his big explanations was when the revolt started he was too "soft and weak" initially in reaction. Sounding just like a third world despot. In other words the beatings will continue until moral improves.

The whole thing is kind of a case study of authoritarianism, except instead of North Korea it's just a forum.

One example that sticks out to me is in an old interview Evilore touted his "hands on" moderation policy. At the first sign a new member "is going to behave like a youtube commenter" they're permabanned, he explained.

Sounds nice enough, until you realize trolling was not only allowed there by moderation, but encouraged. It just had to be the right KIND of trolling.

Last edited:
Back