Gabe's comments about the X800

bloodbob

Trollipop
Veteran
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1584386,00.asp

In terms of performance, it's pretty fast," said Gabe Newell, president of Valve Software, the developer of Half-Life II. "When I say 'pretty fast' I mean that its 40 percent faster in internal testing, faster than any next-generation parts that are coming out. That's a huge advantage in developing a game."

Half-Life II will be finished this summer, Newell said.

The X800 contains 16 3D pipelines and "3DC"technology to improve image quality. Orton described the 3DC technology as significant as the jump from 16-bit to 32-bit color.

BTW Certain sites have used a certain game beta to test the X800 and 6800 ultra and the results aren't quite the same as gabe's so their must have been some significant code changes ( actually the x800 ran worse in most cases).

You don't know what path is being used in the Beta - afterally they initially started as saying "Treat NVIDIA as Dx8".

In some other thread I commented that I didn't think Gabe had said anything about the X800. Thanks for proving me wrong.

So HL2 supports 3Dc?
Half-Life 2 looks magnificent; the game physics look phenomenal. As an example there was this chasing scene with a helicopter in an empty water reservoir. The bullets rippled the ample water still in the reservoir around your character. After a while the helicopter started shooting rockets, debris everywhere! The deformability of the terrain is massive! Half-Life 2 comes (for selected graphics cards) with high-res textures, which will make this seem even more beautiful.

Sounds excellent!

Also "half-life 2 will be finished by the end of summer" We'll see how this statement holds up. Let's hope it's true.

EricVonZipper said:
So HL2 supports 3Dc?
Half-Life 2 looks magnificent; the game physics look phenomenal. As an example there was this chasing scene with a helicopter in an empty water reservoir. The bullets rippled the ample water still in the reservoir around your character. After a while the helicopter started shooting rockets, debris everywhere! The deformability of the terrain is massive! Half-Life 2 comes (for selected graphics cards) with high-res textures, which will make this seem even more beautiful.

Sounds excellent!

Yes it does support 3Dc. I've seen it in action and in most cases it really improves the effects and the way the game looks.

Mmm, I wonder what the reaction would be, if someone like Tim Sweeney, the "other camp`s" appointed cheerleader were to come out and say something similar the other way around?Probably, many here would say it is crap, and that it could be possible only in very specific scenarios etc.-why all of a sudden Newell is the most trustworthy expert and performance qualifier around?The x800 shall have an advantage, but 40%?probably compared to a 9800pro, certainly not to a 6800

Testiculus Giganticus said:
Mmm, I wonder what the reaction would be, if someone like Tim Sweeney, the "other camp`s" appointed cheerleader were to come out and say something similar the other way around?Probably, many here would say it is crap, and that it could be possible only in very specific scenarios etc.-why all of a sudden Newell is the most trustworthy expert and performance qualifier around?The x800 shall have an advantage, but 40%?probably compared to a 9800pro, certainly not to a 6800

I don't know if you've noticed, but Gabe Newell doesn't exactly have the greatest credibility around here either. At least not until his product actually ships.

Back