PlayStation 4 Technology Strategy - The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

babcat

Regular
the fact of the matter is that Sony was very smart in choosing a fairly weak CPU for the PlayStation 4 and a mid range GPU. There was zero need for anything more powerful. The reason for this is that the PlayStation 4 provides all the power that will ever be needed, even for decades, for the games that people will purchase. The PlayStation 4 provides all the power needed for large open world games with high definition stylized graphics.it also provides all the power needed to have hundreds or more of high definition stylize characters on the screen at once. Even if Sony had includeda more powerful GPU, most developers would not have used the extra power to push closer to photo realism. There is just no financial incentive for them to do so. E3 proved that consumers will go nuts and be thrilled with games that are far from the level of the dark sorcerer which was the only near photo realistic future game demonstrated at the conference. Of course thethe dark sorcerer is just a tech demo and Quantic Dream's next game will be very different. But it seems only Quantic Dream is willing to even try and use the technology of the PlayStation 4 to push close to the photo realism. The other games do great things like consumers want such as faster frame rates 1080 P graphics, lots of particle effects, and large worlds. the fact is that Sony knew that the current level of power and the PlayStation 4 is more than enough, by far, for 99 percent of developers. There is really little more that developers would do if the PlayStation 4 heading cluded a Titan level graphics card. You can only make a game have so big of an environment ormake it have so many characters. Most likely, with extra power, very little would have been done except what would have been cheap easy and quick.

Again, developers are not going to go out of their way to make games look photo realistic as possible if they can make the same amount of money making a game that is not pushing photo realism. as an example, I don't think that the developers of the bungee game destiny would the willing to increase their budget and make their game look even better when they can make the same amount of money keeping it at a level like it is now.

next generation, things are only going to get worse. By the end of this generation developers will be very content and the quality of the games are being produced and most of the customers will be content as well. There will be a few exceptions of course. Most likely very few games will have a focus on pushing photo realism. But the percentage of developers pushing photo realism will be small just like at e3 of this year.

Sony knows what is holding back photo realism is not the hardware. Again I'm not talking about true photo realism but a level of photo realism that can fool the ordinary person who is not expert in graphics. Maybe the dark sorcerer really does not look photo realistic but it is good enough to fool me. when the next generation of technology comes out I hope somehow developers will have found some reason to make more photo realistic games but I doubt that will be the case.

as I have said before, for developers and gamers who do not care about pushin photo realism the ps4 is a dream machine. It is more than capable of everything they want. It is capable of everything developers want to develop incapable of everything consumers wanted the game. In reality the ps4 could even be weaker, and it could still make just as much money. For those of us who want photo realistic games, we will just have to wait for the very small minority of developers that want to specialize in making near photo realistic games beard maybe by the end of the ps4 life cycle there will be a half dozen such games at most.

in conclusion, Sony was brilliant and the PlayStation 4 hardware is more capable then what developers need or what consumers want. But the nature of the industry and the fact casual or less than near photo realistic games still so well, means that photo realism will simply not be a focus at all this generation. We just have to live with the fact it is not a priority and it will not be until developers can make search near photo realistic games for near zero extra cost.

You realise you just done the equivalent of "640k ought to be enough for everyone"

Yes. And in this case it is the truth until developers find a way to push for photorealism at very little extra cost. Why spend 50% more money on a game if it will only increase your sales 10%. I hate this, but it is the truth. The ps4 hardware is powerful enough to provide every thing 98% of developers want. Giant worlds, 60fps, 1080p, better lighting, hundreds of characters, and amazing paricle effects are all possibles. Developers will pitch this to consumers because it is cheaper than pushing for near photorealism that most gamers dont care about anyway.

Console design is just not dictated by manufactures budget it's a plan designed around multiple aspects, the most important at this point being development costs. Why slam in top end cards when most developers won't have the resources nor the time to make full use of them. Both Sony's and MS solutions are mid range efforts that keep the whole development community on board.

So after your other "I love photorealism" thread was closed, you create another blog entry?

Please just go to Wordpress and create yourself a blog where you can post, "I love photorealism. Nobody loves photorealism as much as me. I wish all devs targeted photorealism no matter how low the resolution," daily in a suitable place without needing to spam this board with the same viewpoint. (Hint: we know your position. There's no need to reiterate it any more. we get it already!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back