Gabe Newell: Valve will release its own console-like PC

Wrt the Alpha I will see for my-self how it fares soon enough :)

Back to Steam Machine, it seems MSFT may finally decide to push forward PC gaming, interesting times ahead.
I see no room for SteamOS or Steam machines, Windows + Steam client is good proposal.

With MSFT threatened more and more in the personal realm by Apple and Google Os(s), I think it would be stupid for MSFT and Valve to fight each others wasting money in the process. Wisdom would call for an agreement between those companies sadly who cares for wisdom nowadays.

We'll see just what their return to PC gaming really is, if anything more than fluffing feathers and a new skin on the horrible failure GFWL. MS won't team up with Valve as there's no profit in it for them. All they will do is try and integrate something with their Xbone market.

We'll see just what their return to PC gaming really is, if anything more than fluffing feathers and a new skin on the horrible failure GFWL. MS won't team up with Valve as there's no profit in it for them. All they will do is try and integrate something with their Xbone market.
Yop I don't expect MSFT and Valve to come to an agreement, I actually expect both sides to disagree.
Now it is a bad move imo.
MSFT store sucks, there is Steam but also Blizzard, Origin, etc. imo they are fighting themselves and their best interests for the sake of something they won't achieve, their effort will create more diversity and complexity instead of unifying the Windows experience, with potential anger of their partners (Valve, Blizzard, Ubisoft, EA, etc).
I expect Valve to disagree with anything too.
I do get the "I want it all mentality", I've this feeling that the new CEO (at MSFT) is a lot more subtle than that. Pretty much everybody think I'm crazy when I state that MSFT should do what Amazon does and branch off Android, yet I see MSFT offering more and services and Apps on Android which has potential if MSFT were to put it all together.
for the sake of experimenting I reseted my phone yesterday, download the Amazon appstore, I disabled all the Google services and installed Bing search, it still is Android and it is still workable. MSFt could (and could have already) put together an extremely interesting alternative to Google Playstore at a fraction of the price that they invested in Windows phones and into making Vanilla Windows a schizophrenic OS.
I would expect MSFT to do a lot better at that game than Amazon.
The Nokia X line was a bad joke and a waste of a great concept.

By the way Google tries to unify Android experience, Nexus, Android One, Android Silver (is that even still alive) but they face really strong resistance. So far MSFT charged like a bull against Google whereas they could have joined "the resistance" and abuse Android open nature.
Google can't that easily close Android, lots if not most manufacturers would simply branch offs from the last open version /or start considering alternatives.

Part of your answer is Direct x12, may a new business model for Windows that doesn't put an overhead on OEM when assembling PC, etc.
MSFT went already as far as giving Windows for free on some devices.
With 20/14nm process as well as DDR4 just ahead of us (and well direct x12) offering consoles like performances in neat form factors (no need to go as low as the Alpha which is less than half the PS4 volume) at affordable price will be easily achievable.
I'm curious about it, that is it, MSFT has underwhelmed quite a few times (and one more than 1 topic by the way).

Last edited:
We'll see just what their return to PC gaming really is

Huh? What? Why would you assume there was anything to it? Anything is possible I guess ... but I'm not going to seriously entertain the thought I'm going to shoot down my bacon while it flies over my yard tomorrow.

They missed whatever window they had. Ps4 and X1 have sold too well and they're not going to compete now, if they ever would have.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-12-15-windows-10-leak-reveals-new-xbox-app
The Verge, which played around with the leaked consumer build, said the new Xbox app acts as a gateway to the Xbox ecosystem. Achievements, a friends list, activity feeds and the Xbox Store are all available.
A comment linked to this -
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=100400267&postcount=6 :D

Maybe Valve doesn't have to worry just yet? ;)
I actually think MS are serious about this one though.

Last edited:
Couple that with buy once play every where and it could be very popular

Bundling the (often) cheaper PC versions with the Xbox versions of games would definitely appeal. I can't see why publishers other than Microsoft would sacrifice a second sale to incentivise Microsoft's Xbox service on PC though.

Not like sales on pc are booming until they hit rock bottom prices. Might as well try and get as much money as possible. I would also wager it wouldn't be disc based games and only DD

Not like sales on pc are booming until they hit rock bottom prices. Might as well try and get as much money as possible. I would also wager it wouldn't be disc based games and only DD

People still buy PC games on disc? Wow.

I meant if you buy the xbox one DD of a game you'd get the pc one to play also.

Yeah, that's what I meant too - additional DD rights across ecosystems.. It just surprised me that people do still buy PC games on disc. I can't even remember seeing a PC section at my local GAME before it closed!

Yeah, that's what I meant too - additional DD rights across ecosystems.. It just surprised me that people do still buy PC games on disc. I can't even remember seeing a PC section at my local GAME before it closed!

I actually went into one and the prices were surprisingly low, 3 for £10 were good deals for certain games.

Bundling the (often) cheaper PC versions with the Xbox versions of games would definitely appeal. I can't see why publishers other than Microsoft would sacrifice a second sale to incentivise Microsoft's Xbox service on PC though.
And to add to your valid point, why buy the expensive console edition if you want to play on the pc where the games are very cheap.

I think you're more likely to see XB1 games being streamed to PC and other devices. PC games will be what they have always have been to most PC gamers, which is offering the best visual experience to those with the hardware.

I think I'm going to stop reading these sorts of articles. It's just getting painful to watch Microsoft flounder around trying to figure out how to leverage their potentially huge opportunity to unify their products. Presumably they will finally figure out how to do the obvious right when it's too late.

I think the temptation to want to have all the cake and eating it too by continuing to promote xbox pretty much exclusively on the expense of PC gaming in the hopes of greater console and console game sales/royalties will be too great for MS to ever be able to do the obvious thing right.

There's simply too many monetize-suits in the decision-making chain over at MS for them to be able to get it right. PC game sales don't benefit them economically the slightest (unless sold via their e-store, which is a bit player to be quite honest.)

Back