Gabe Newell: Valve will release its own console-like PC

It's not as if 2GB is a particularly terrible bottleneck right now, so why not?

Maybe not right now, but it will be which means they are basically selling devices with built in obsolescence. That to me just doesn't seem like a good way to introduce people to a new platform, unless they want to market it as a low end console but then it's pricing needs to reflect that as well.

Uh, any PC ever built pretty much has planned obsolescence built into it. Arguably, the unhealthily long lifespan of the past console generation stretched out viable life of PCs far past what used to be the norm, but even with that in mind and if the same becomes true this gen, I think you'd want to upgrade anyway before 2GB becomes any real hindrance to your gaming.

Typically, it's only at very high rezzes 2GB is a bottleneck, and most people still game at 1080P tops. Also, if 2GB becomes a limit, you could just knock down texture resolution a notch or so and continue gaming on... Also, if virtual texturing ever takes on in a big way on the PC, 2GB could pretty much be all you'll ever need, until the end of time. :)

I'm pretty sure 2GB will eventually require sacrifices compared to console games even on more powerful GPU's however the sacrifices seem to have been surprisingly small (or even non-existent) so far even in the current "next gen" games.

However given that this PC is almost certainly running a 750Ti which itself falls a little short of the PS4 in terms of raw performance, I don't think pairing it 2GB is necessarily a bad thing (although the standard 1GB with that GPU is ridiculous). Doubtless it will have to scale back some elements of future games anyway so the 2GB will probably sit quite nicely with that.

Titles like Wolfenstein and Watch Dogs so far are requiring large amounts of VRAM apparently due to being designed for the unified memory space on the consoles and not terribly optimized for PC non-unified space. I believe we'll see more of this as the requirements they're putting on these 'ports' are way above what is technically needed for what we're seeing.

Titles like Wolfenstein and Watch Dogs so far are requiring large amounts of VRAM apparently due to being designed for the unified memory space on the consoles and not terribly optimized for PC non-unified space. I believe we'll see more of this as the requirements they're putting on these 'ports' are way above what is technically needed for what we're seeing.

True but even these games will run fine on a 2GB GPU with only minor compromises. As I understand it WD will run fine at High settings, high textures, 1080p and post process AA on a 2GB card (if you lock it to 30fps). So that's not even a compromise compared with the 8GB console. I'm not too sure about Wolfenstein.

If Uncharted 4 delivers 1080p60 on the PS4, the Steam boxes need to deliver the same on its games, at the same price point.

It's not as if 2GB is a particularly terrible bottleneck right now, so why not?
True but even these games will run fine on a 2GB GPU with only minor compromises. As I understand it WD will run fine at High settings, high textures, 1080p and post process AA on a 2GB card (if you lock it to 30fps). So that's not even a compromise compared with the 8GB console. I'm not too sure about Wolfenstein.

But we haven't really had new multiplatform titles from the new generation yet.
All we have for now are games that were developed for the old gen and then got a resolution upgrade and some additional bells and whistles for the new gens and PC.

I think that as soon as we start getting actual new-gen multiplatform titles - the ones who are not coming to PS360 and made using 16GB developer kits - playing them in a PC with a 2GB graphics card will become a real problem.

Hum is that a serious post?
I'm afraid it was.

If Uncharted 4 delivers 1080p60 on the PS4, the Steam boxes need to deliver the same on its games, at the same price point.

Not necessarily, and those of us who use Steam already know of the great Steam sales that on their own would make the extra few hundred dollars for a decent PC system worth it. And free online, and mods, and KB & M, etc. $500 is a good price point to aim for, but it's too bad that console gamers would have no realization of what they are getting just like PC users can be blind to how good of values consoles are too.

Not necessarily, and those of us who use Steam already know of the great Steam sales that on their own would make the extra few hundred dollars for a decent PC system worth it. And free online, and mods, and KB & M, etc. $500 is a good price point to aim for, but it's too bad that console gamers would have no realization of what they are getting just like PC users can be blind to how good of values consoles are too.

If Steam is serious about competing against consoles, rather than just modestly expand its user base by making out easier for people to get Steam content, then it has to at least match the consoles at the same price point.

It won't get a lot of the console exclusives and may not even get games like Madden and other more traditional console genres.

They can have a higher price point but they better deliver demonstrably better performance in that case.

Earlier in the thread, it was discussed whether Valve has the weight to be taken seriously by console games publishers and whether they could get the component costs that console manufacturers can get.

Otherwise, they'll have a difficult time appealing to console gamers or even more casual gamers. Valve has to give these potential customers a reason to consider a Steam box instead of consoles from companies with proven records.

If Steam is serious about competing against consoles, rather than just modestly expand its user base by making out easier for people to get Steam content, then it has to at least match the consoles at the same price point.
Well I don't think that fighting consoles is the purpose of the Steam Machine, it is more a knee jerk from Valve that is scared that MSFT would open their own alternative to Steam or worse "close' their platform.

I think it is going to fail, in fact it won't even get this far, it would not surprise me in the slightest if the Steam OS project is simply put to rest sometime in 2015.

Imo Valve is doing it wrong.

------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/14/steamboy/

Everything smells vaporware in this, but here it is:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...-Aims-To-Be-The-Handheld-Steam-Machine-Update

Article says 4 Core CPU, 4GB RAM, 32GB storage and 16:9 5" screen.
There's also this quote:
SteamBoy won't be as powerful as other announced Steam Machines in the same way [the] Nintendo 3DS or PS Vita performance is not comparable to Wii U or PlayStation 4. However, it will be possible to play the majority of current games in Steam.

I guess they could cram a Mullins or a Baytrail in there and make it a reasonable retro gaming machine. Also, Steam Home Streaming should work like a charm in such a device (assuming they wouldn't skimp on the WiFi chip/antennas).

Steamboy is purportedly made by an unnamed startup company unaffiliated with Valve.

I've just realized than strictly, "to play the majority of current games in Steam" means it runs Windows 8.1.
Anyway all I'm seeing is a 3D render of a trademark-infringing "product" and that it's copy pasted / linked to on numerous sites.

I've just realized than strictly, "to play the majority of current games in Steam" means it runs Windows 8.1.

The majority of current games available in Steam require Windows 8.1? That doesn't sound right.

The majority of current games available in Steam require Windows 8.1? That doesn't sound right.

The majority of current games in Steam require DirectX and all of them require x86, which is only available with Windows.
And although they could, it's rather safe to assume they wouldn't launch a new touchscreen device in 2014 using Windows 7.
Windows 8.1, then.

Or they could sell it with SteamOS instead. Cutting the amount of available games to around 1%.
Not a smart move.

Valve is a contributor member of the Khronos Group. I think given the state of opengl it would be in their interest to contribute more than they are to its improvement.

"Contributor Membership cost $15,000 annually"
"Contributor Members have full specification working group participation and voting rights, and generous marketing benefits."

"Valve, creators of several best-selling game franchises (such as Counter-Strike, Half-Life, Left 4 Dead, Portal, and Team Fortress) and game technologies (such as Steam and the Source engine) are committed to ensuring the future success of open and cross-platform technologies like OpenGL and other Khronos APIs. Valve is proud to be able to collaborate with the other Khronos members to set the direction of these APIs in order to advance the state of cross-platform development. For more information, please visit http://valvesoftware.com."

http://www.khronos.org/members/contributors/valve-software

Back