Forza Motorsport [XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

So the career mode is just.......weird. They are basically just, as usual, rejigging what they've always done, which is just weird mishmashes of events instead of building a proper CAREER mode.

I've been such a longtime Forza Motorsport fan, but I'm really losing faith. They've had so much time to completely reboot the franchise, and it really just looks like any new standard entry, just changing up a few things here and there as always. There's absolutely nothing here that looks like they've used those seven years of development time to really rethink and rebuild any of the fundamentals except maybe the economy.

Unless they're just really terrible at showing it or something - god I want to be able to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I'm just not seeing it.

EDIT: Oh man, you cant just buy upgrades for your car anymore, you first have to 'level' the car up by using it, and then spending Car Credits(which is just a hilariously weird way of saying money/currency). I dont mind the idea of spending more time with individual cars, but many cars just drive terribly out the gate, or simply might need certain upgrades to be competitive in a specific race/series. I can see it being frustrating having to go 'grind levels' for your car first to be able to unlock these upgrades(that you still seemingly have to pay for?).

EDIT2: More details - there's the standard monetization. Instead of offering free cars updates like GT Sport/GT7, they're still gonna charge for car packs and whatnot. Also, all progression systems require an online connection. Woof.

My only big hope at this point is that the AI is as good as they're making it sound, where they say it's as fast as the fastest drivers *without cheating*, and that's a big old Press X for Doubt to me. That said, if the AI can be genuinely competitive at higher difficulties, that will probably still be enough for me to have a good time with the game. I mean, I'll be getting it at some point no matter what(just need a new PC first...), but I really was hoping for a more drastic overhaul than just the graphics.
Honestly T10 just has the wrong people leading them IMO. Dan was great at the start but the whole strive for super accessibility in later games really fractured the core of FM. FM4 was the absolute peak where that stuff only just really started to take hold. Chris Esaki seems to be created in a T10 lab as a walking PR machine spouting the same stuff we've heard over and over. It's all about your journey and the cars are the heros blah blah absolute useless speak to try and appeal to more casual gamers i suspect. They don't seem to know or even care what their core fans actually want. And yet this is the "rebooted" Forza Motorsport? I dno man.

I think in the stream they estimated around 3 hours to reach max level up for a car to hit level 50. That doesn't seem bad, does it?

Honestly T10 just has the wrong people leading them IMO. Dan was great at the start but the whole strive for super accessibility in later games really fractured the core of FM. FM4 was the absolute peak where that stuff only just really started to take hold. Chris Esaki seems to be created in a T10 lab as a walking PR machine spouting the same stuff we've heard over and over. It's all about your journey and the cars are the heros blah blah absolute useless speak to try and appeal to more casual gamers i suspect. They don't seem to know or even care what their core fans actually want. And yet this is the "rebooted" Forza Motorsport? I dno man.
Couldn't agree more. Especially the line about Esaki being created in a T10 lab. lol

I dont need them to build some hardcore sim or anything, but they dont seem to realize that chasing this more mainstream audience so hard is watering down the games to a point where it appeals less to everybody. And with the existence of Forza Horizon, there's greater room to make a more focused game, which will actually appeal to plenty of other less 'core/hardcore' types through good word of mouth. I mean, that's exactly how GT became so huge. GT sells boatloads of copies to more mainstream/casual types without designing the games to cater to them specifically.

Here's the YT VOD for career mode with substantially better streaming quality than the livestream event:

I think in the stream they estimated around 3 hours to reach max level up for a car to hit level 50. That doesn't seem bad, does it?
Spending even 20 minutes of grinding just to level up a car so I can make it driveable or competitive is bad. If the parts I need to get the car performing how I'd like it require even more than that, that's gonna be very annoying. And there's times where even after some upgrades, I still just discover a car isn't ever gonna handle how I like and so I abandon it. The idea of spending an hour to unlock some parts hoping I can transform a car into something better and then having all that time come to nothing sounds super frustrating.

And I'm somebody who doesn't just jump from car to car every race. I absolutely like to spend time with certain cars and get to know them. But I like to have choice in what car I do that with, and I like that time to be spent driving it at its best in competition, not 'leveling it'.

They were screen space reflections. Overall it looks... kind ofOK, but honestly? Nowhere near the GT7 or all the previous trailers.

There were reflections on the bonnet during the races, no?
may not be RT, it's done since a long time in racing games, it's easier to apply this kind of reflections in bonnet view

But it also states not final build, so let's wait for the final release, either way, RT reflections during gameplay is nice but also a waste of ressources when they are limited on consoles, simple SSR would do the job well, keep the RT for replays.

may not be RT, it's done since a long time in racing games, it's easier to apply this kind of reflections in bonnet view

But it also states not final build, so let's wait for the final release, either way, RT reflections during gameplay is nice but also a waste of ressources when they are limited on consoles, simple SSR would do the job well, keep the RT for replays.
If ti's SSR it's pretty convincing.

There's a section in the gameplay video above at the beginning of 'car mastery' where they have an internal cockpit view. The angle of the inner under bonnet, which cannot reflect the road infront, is properly reflecting an angle that is not being rendered. It's a completely different plane than what's in front. I'm not sure if we are viewing a replay for instance.

So I'm not 100% sure, there's definitely SSR happening especially in 3rd person view.

in general for racing games they use planar reflection cubemaps in hood view, it's a lot easier to achieve and better looking than SSR for this time of view.

in general for racing games they use planar reflection cubemaps in hood view, it's a lot easier do achieve and better looking than SSR for this time of view.
Oh for sure. I've been fooled many times. But this time, I don't see how they did it.
If you look at this particular part of the hood here, which is underneath and facing the wrong angle, it's receiving reflections from an angle that is not in the render view entirely.

I've highlighted the most obvious point, which is when the sun shows up.
You can fast forward anywhere around there looking at that particular piece of metal and notice it's reflecting something entirely off screen.

xqvW4mU.jpg

you can reflect something off screen with cubemaps, like the reflection of the driver's helmet in GT7, you can even see reflections on the helmet in the reflection of the helmet.

But GT7 during gameplay does not even use SSR, it use some low quality cubemaps with lot of pop in

Last edited:
you can reflect something off screen with cubemaps, like the reflection of the driver's helmet in GT7, you can even see reflections on the helmet in the reflection of the helmet.

But GT7 during gameplay does not even use SSR, it use some low quality cubemaps with lot of pop in

Yea in comparison however, it doesn’t look anywhere as bad as that. That’s why I’m not sure. Whatever they are doing with Forza, It’s a much stronger solution than what is here.

Did anyone watch the latest deep dive into physics and AI? Genuinely impressive improvements, I'm actually pretty shocked (maybe I shouldn't be) at how poor previous FM AI was, they couldn't feather throttle or brake pedal, was completely binary inputs and. I knew about the rubberbanding though which IMO has never had any place in any game calling itself a simulator.

The comparison between AI lap times on the hardest difficulty FM7 vs FM is crazy too!

NeV1RHw.jpg
We’ve optimized Forza Motorsport to look and play great across a wide range of PCs, taking advantage of cutting-edge PC hardware and technologies with real-time ray tracing on-track and maximum performance enabled by NVIDIA DLSS 2 and AMD FSR 2.2.
We will continue to optimize and improve Forza Motorsport on PC after launch.
Forza Motorsport on PC supports native resolutions up to 4K and beyond, including ultrawide resolutions during on-track gameplay, HDR calibration, shader pre-compilation and pre-caching, DirectStorage for improved CPU loading, unlocked single-player framerates with or without V-Sync enabled, and more.

Attachments

• NeV1RHw.jpg
    NeV1RHw.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Shame no XeSS.

When they say all the new tech be nice if it was DX12U features, I'll be pleasantly suprised if it went beyond RT and I suppose you can throw DS in there even if it's not SFS. But fingers crossed for titles to start to make use of them.

Back