Forza 5 [XO] *large pics inside*

Rumor has it that Nurburgring is coming; just wasn't ready for launch. Supposedly in a month. We'll see. I hate getting my hopes up, so definitely treating as just a rumor.

It's coming. The question is how much you have to pay?

Rumor has it that Nurburgring is coming; just wasn't ready for launch. Supposedly in a month. We'll see. I hate getting my hopes up, so definitely treating as just a rumor.

It's coming. The question is how much you have to pay?

No doubt it's coming, but it should have been there from the start. It's just such a iconic race track. It's a place every car guy should visit atleast once in their lifetime. I have been there 3 times now (and have done 4 laps in the BMW Ring Taxi M5 and 9 laps in my own BMW z4) Going again this year, but have not made any plans for when I'm going.

Anyway, that's a bit of topic :)

Here's hoping its coming sooner rather then later and that it don't cost an arm and a leg ;-)

No doubt it's coming, but it should have been there from the start. It's just such a iconic race track. It's a place every car guy should visit atleast once in their lifetime. I have been there 3 times now (and have done 4 laps in the BMW Ring Taxi M5 and 9 laps in my own BMW z4) Going again this year, but have not made any plans for when I'm going.

Here's hoping its coming sooner rather then later and that it don't cost an arm and a leg ;-)
It is one of my little hide dreams, not the dream of my life -there are just one or two things I want in that regard- that I hope I can accomplish sometime in the future, despite the fact that I am a pretty average driver IRL.

It was cool to see your lap in the BMW. I wonder how you get those numbers, or if you are using some kind of application for your car, phone or whatever. It's certainly better telemetry than Forza 5's. :( (why they removed telemetry?) Many, many thanks for sharing. Subscribing....

A good day and fine weather for driving. Gotta add to that that you perfectly matched the bonnet camera view of Forza 5, those reflections and the angle reminds me of the game.

As for what Arwin said, I hope the track is free for me at least. I paid and extra 40$ for the DLC pass, with which I can get 6 DLC car packs, already.

It is one of my little hide dreams, not the dream of my life -there are just one or two things I want in that regard- that I hope I can accomplish sometime in the future, despite the fact that I am a pretty average driver IRL.

If you ever get the opportunity you should go in a heartbeat :)

It was cool to see your lap in the BMW. I wonder how you get those numbers, or if you are using some kind of application for your car, phone or whatever. It's certainly better telemetry than Forza 5's. :( (why they removed telemetry?) Many, many thanks for sharing. Subscribing....

For the video and telemetry I used a iPhone 5 with Harry's Laptimer (a track day app availeble on iOS and Android. And no, I'm not affiliated with it, it's just a good app if you take your car on track days). The phone/app gets all the telemetry info from a Bluetooth OBD2 dongle.

There is still telemetry in Forza 5, you just press up (or down) on the d-pad and then you press right for switching between the different telemetry screens.

Thanks for subscribing :)

Had to split up the reply because of to many quotes, sorry about that.

A good day and fine weather for driving. Gotta add to that that you perfectly matched the bonnet camera view of Forza 5, those reflections and the angle reminds me of the game.

Hehe, me and some friends were there for 5 days in late May and for 4 of the days we had rain and cold 5-6c, so we weren't really lucky with the weather :( but that day was indeed a nice and good day :)

As for the bonnet camera view I have to put that down to a happy coincident :) but rewatching the videos, I agree :) You can even see my video have the same lenseflears as you sometime get in Forza :)

As for what Arwin said, I hope the track is free for me at least. I paid and extra 40$ for the DLC pass, with which I can get 6 DLC car packs, already.

I hope so too, I have Forza 5LCE and bought the Forza Car Pass, so fingers crossed :)

Hey, I don't disagree or anything. This is me with my dad trying to hold onto dear life/the camera. ;)

Yeah, as the title says. ;) Cool car to drive, if a bit underpowered (but that is safe, neither of us is a pro, driving on the Ring a few times is basically all my track experience, and my father doesn't know the Ring by heart like I do).

Love what you did with your vid by the way with all the HUD stuff. Very nicely done. I was just very worried all the time that they'd catch us filming stuff - they've been very strict about that in the past.

Did you hear that the track may end up closing? A friend of mine went there to demonstrate against that.

Yeah, as the title says. ;) Cool car to drive, if a bit underpowered (but that is safe, neither of us is a pro, driving on the Ring a few times is basically all my track experience, and my father doesn't know the Ring by heart like I do).

Love what you did with your vid by the way with all the HUD stuff. Very nicely done. I was just very worried all the time that they'd catch us filming stuff - they've been very strict about that in the past.

Did you hear that the track may end up closing? A friend of mine went there to demonstrate against that.

Oh yeah, I see that now :) (was on my iPad when I first watched it and embedded YouTube videos is a bit hit and miss in displaying correctly, so the title did not show the first time)

Yeah I keep myself quite updated on what is happening at The Ring at the moment.
The company the is in charge of The Ring and all the associated facilities went belly up some time back and they are now looking for a new owner to buy the whole thing (as I understand it the Nordschlife is owned by the local government, but they lost a lot of money on the whole Nurburgring experience center and now wants to get back as much money as possible. So that means selling everything to the highest bidder :cry:)

I don't think The Ring is going to get closed down. The fear of the fans is that the public race days is going to be seriously cut back and the price of admission is going to be to high for the general public. I guess we just have to see what happens, but it's not looking to good at the moment :(

Anyway this is about Forza 5 so I shall not derail the thread any further :)

Wow, I wish I was in Europe and could drive to the Ring!

So what do you think of the handling compared to Forza 4? Some reviewers were saying the cars were even more tail-happy.

Eurogamer for example:
The heroics find their way into the handling, which introduces an added dynamism to Forza's model of old. Turn 10's appetite for pliable, easygoing oversteer is even more overstated here, the cars snapping out of step at the slightest provocation before happily being guided back with a quick and polite nudge. As a simulation of vehicle dynamics it might not be wholly convincing, and a car's individual characteristics tend to get lost in all the drama, but it's certainly exciting

And Jwm is also unhappy with the handling seemingly being tuned more for fun and 'Top Gear' style moments than outright simulation accuracy:
http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1811516&postcount=765
http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1811518&postcount=767

So what do you think of the handling compared to Forza 4? Some reviewers were saying the cars were even more tail-happy.

Eurogamer for example:

And Jwm is also unhappy with the handling seemingly being tuned more for fun and 'Top Gear' style moments than outright simulation accuracy:

I find the handling pretty similar compared to Forza 4, but I would guess that's because I upgrade and tune the cars the same way I did in Forza 4. I tune all my cars for maximum grip.
I have only driven a handful of laps with stock tuned cars so can't really give a qualified awnser to how stock tuned Forza 4 cars compare to stock tuned Forza 5 cars.

Eurogamer for example:

I think Jwm has stated himself that he wasn't playing using full simulation settings for the wheel til recently. Regardless, I'd wholeheartedly recommend you to try the game somewhere in the future. I think it can easily live up to your expectations.

It drives realistically, it's challenging, it's fun... and the real life physics, weight transfer and stuff like that is well captured.

The word "simulator" is a good definition for this game.

If you want a more arcade experience you can also enable assists and the car will brake for you, it's almost literally impossible to crash.

Are they still giving away that free track for this game? I just picked it up today and I have to take it to a friends house to get on live.

Yes. The track is free forever. Now we're just waiting for N'burg ring. I think there are a couple free car packs as well. Just click through the add-ons.

Eurogamer for example:

True, I have played with the controller settings to find the best compromise for how my fingers move. ;)

Biggest issue for me is with the faster race type cars, let us take the Indy Car for example. The speed feels wrong, the braking feels...well wrong, the auto-steering annoys me to no end. (ok and sounds on some cars are crap)

Now I did see an interview where Dan was explaining how the simulation tech works, how they input the weights of specific items (e.g. driveshafts, a-arms, etc). Sounds wonderfully complex, and I get what they are trying to achieve but I don't think we are there yet for a console sim to try and approximate such a range of cars in this manner. In the interview they suggest that some of the higher level cars they just do not have access to. If I was an LMP1 manufacturer I sure would not give those details. So for me I like how raceroom "feels" for actual race cars, but I really love Forza for the road cars.

At some point grab a nicely tuned C or B class and drive around slower than you would in race conditions. Notice how you can enjoy all the subtle movements, bumps in the track, etc. Slowly start working up to normal race speed after a dozen or so laps, it is great fun.

Go try the same with a P class and see what you think? (all IMO)

One thing I've noticed with F5, more so than with any other console sim, is that it can punish you for creating sudden weight shifts with you car. As long as you focus on trying to keep your car flat and clean you get rewarded. And I mean by easing slightly into the brakes to reach max brake force, rather than a quick brake which a lot of other games let you get away with.

Not sure if other games apply breaking and steering force along a curve to prevent players from creating herky jerky movements, or if roll and snap are more directly "simulated" now. When driving a real car this feels natural because of the inherent force required to apply a given amount of brake pressure or steering angle, but the digital, non-resistant nature of the controller does not. Either way, I don't get the sense any of it feels wrong, just different. And the more I've played it the harder I've found it to go back to other games. Because the quality of the simulation in general, particularly with vehicle contact, and the AI is really good. That said there are occasional glitches, but that's true of every game. lol.

Back