Forspoken (Project Athia) [PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
This looks like a game that will do well in the Asian markets.

afaik, this is the first game to use DirectStorage in the PC version. Other than that, it's been quite a while ever since I've seen new material about this game

Well, i certainly hope so.
It's Square Enix and their best studios were sold off already, so it might be wise to temper your expectations, especially when they skip over releases on some platforms so regularly.

Impressive. I think PC will be very close. They're not really going anywhere visually different in that video... so it's basically just teleporting around the small area which has most of the data already in memory.

The real test comes from the initial load. (PS5 will be faster lol)

We know the game load very fast too on PC, this is the first Direct Storage title. They told the limit is not the SSD but the CPU initialization of entity here PC an have an advantage with more powerful CPU and very important higher frequency. It is probably one of this title scaling much better with frequency than core count.

After there is nothing surprising, this is what we wait from a console able to load 11 GB/s of data in 1 second.

GPU decompression is probably more intresting than what the CPU can do there.

This is cool but like Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart the limitation doesn't come from the data or the decompression but from the CPU part because when you load part of an open world or a level in a linear game you need to setup NPC and ennemies in this part and other stuff are done on the CPU, this is the bottleneck in R&C Rift Apart and this is the bottleneck in Forspoken.

The presentation did drive home that making optimal use of DirectStorage wasn't simply a case of plugging it into the Luminous engine and forgetting about it. Significant optimisations were needed to make the most of the technology, and even then there are bottlenecks in how scenes are set up, and how things could be improved further.

Generally this is when CPU Game engine need a rearchitecture for a better usage of multithreading. This is the reason why a single thread can be the bottleneck in many games.

EDIT: My guess initial loading will probably be faster on PC. It is much more limited by what the CPU has to do. In game maybe advantage PS5 but not sure at all. Forspoken has probably the same problem than Insomniac engine, I hope it will be solve for spiderman 2. Locked main and render thread is never a good things it means one of the two threads will begin to be the bottleneck and the guy told for the moment this architecture is enough but it will be revaluated for future title.

jzCHabM.png

Last edited:
We know the game load very fast too on PC, this is the first Direct Storage title. They told the limit is not the SSD but the CPU initialization of entity here PC an have an advantage with more powerful CPU and very important higher frequency. It is probably one of this title scaling much better with frequency than core count.

After there is nothing surprising, this is what we wait from a console able to load 11 GB/s of data in 1 second.
Yea, it's going to be very fast. I wonder if they'll update it to support GPU decompression? They were looking into it based on the slides from their presentation, but whether they do or not is another story..

11GB/s is nice... but I also like 19GB/s :love:

test1.png

Of course I know this demo and an actual retail game are two VERY different things... but still.

Generally this is when CPU Game engine need a rearchitecture for a better usage of multithreading. This is the reason why a single thread can be the bottleneck in many games.

EDIT: My guess initial loading will probably be faster on PC. It is much more limited by what the CPU has to do. In game maybe advantage PS5 but not sure at all
I think it will be close but I don't think the initial load will be faster on PC. They still have to compile required shaders, for example... but perhaps with their DirectStorage optimizations it will be blazingly fast.

Yea, it's going to be very fast. I wonder if they'll update it to support GPU decompression? They were looking into it based on the slides from their presentation, but whether they do or not is another story..

11GB/s is nice... but I also like 19GB/s :love:

test1.png

Of course I know this demo and an actual retail game are two VERY different things... but still.

11 GB/s is an average depending of the content the limit is 22 GB/s on PS5. They did some test on a texture set of one game and we see the texture set load at 17.38 GB/s. It depends of the content. After 11 GB/s is more realist in a game with all type of content as an average. Basically the compression ratio is the multiplier of the SSD speed.

Zip1.64 to 1
Kraken1.82 to 1
Zip + Oodle Texture2.69 to 1
Kraken + Oodle Texture3.16 to 1

Last edited:
I think it will be close but I don't think the initial load will be faster on PC. They still have to compile required shaders, for example... but perhaps with their DirectStorage optimizations it will be blazingly fast.

My bad I forget shader compilation. But in game fast travel it will be a close battle between PC and PS5.

11 GB/s is an average depending of the content the limit is 22 GB/s on Ps5. They did some test on a texture set of one game and we see the texture set load at 17.38 GB/s. It depends of the content. After 11 GB/s is more realist in a game with all type of content as an average. Basically the compression ratio is the multiplier of the SSD speed.

Yea exactly, it depends on how well the data compresses. On PC we have 7GB/s drives and also 13GB/s drives soon enough. With a 2.5:1 ratio that's 17.5GB/s and 32.5GB/s respectively.

That's getting pretty damn fast.

Yea exactly, it depends on how well the data compresses. On PC we have 7GB/s drives and also 13GB/s drives soon enough. With a 2.5:1 ratio that's 17.5GB/s and 32.5GB/s respectively.

That's getting pretty damn fast.

After I think other things will be the bottleneck before the I/O in R&C Rift Apart they reach 5GB/s of uncompressed data less than the SSD speed only because the Game CPU architecture is the bottleneck. For Demon's Soul's Remake it is only 3 to 4 GB/S.

Fabian Giesen of RAD tools game said he did not expected game developer to push the envelope during the first two years of current generation consoles on SSD side. I/O engine need to be changed and Gamecode to be changed too.

Back