Forspoken (Project Athia) [PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
This is cool but like Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart the limitation doesn't come from the data or the decompression but from the CPU part because when you load part of an open world or a level in a linear game you need to setup NPC and ennemies in this part and other stuff are done on the CPU, this is the bottleneck in R&C Rift Apart and this is the bottleneck in Forspoken.

I'd wager pretty much every game that's running on an NVMe based system is limited by CPU speed rather than IO throughput. That's why Direct storage is going to be so important on PC, because it should help alleviate some of those additional steps the PC has to deal with vs consoles at load time.

I'd wager pretty much every game that's running on an NVMe based system is limited by CPU speed rather than IO throughput. That's why Direct storage is going to be so important on PC, because it should help alleviate some of those additional steps the PC has to deal with vs consoles at load time.

The main problem on CPU is technical debt and quality of engine. CPU games engine need to have a good multithreading system and basically no Game engine using Object oriented programming is good there is a design pattern call Entity Component System data oriented which work much better for game than OOP and a great variant is fully based job system. With system like the Insomniac game engine with two locked thread gameplay thread and render thread, this two single thread will begin to be the bottleneck. Basically games add job for other part like Physics, animation or audio or other system but jobs need to synchronise with main/gameplay thread or render thread depending what you do and it overwhelm this two threads which begin to be the limit on CPU side with bad usage of the number of core. The two "main" CPU core will reach full utilisation but other cores will be underutilised.

And it is a bigger problem on console, because frequency is low and it is more important to use all core. Insomniac told they will change this. When the engine will be ready I am sure one core will not be the bottleneck of the CPU and the CPU will be able to follow the I/O speed.

Out of the need to change how I/O works engine with good multithreading won't have this problem like Id Tech technology, Bungie, Naughty Dog or Guerrilla Games or Unity ECS.

We know the game load very fast too on PC, this is the first Direct Storage title. They told the limit is not the SSD but the CPU initialization of entity here PC an have an advantage with more powerful CPU and very important higher frequency. It is probably one of this title scaling much better with frequency than core count.

After there is nothing surprising, this is what we wait from a console able to load 11 GB/s of data in 1 second.

Yeah, they already confirmed the 1 sec loading also on PC.

forspoken-pc.jpg

Watched on mobile but the comments on that video say 30fps/1080 to 1440p for minor RT. RT hogs performance in that mode, for the minor visual imorovement that mode will have to pass for a 60fps mode without rt.

Analista blamed luminous engine 😔

I feel like SE would be better served going to UE for all their games at this point. Unreal engine has served ff7 well. And now with ue5, there is probably no downside compared

I feel like SE would be better served going to UE for all their games at this point. Unreal engine has served ff7 well. And now with ue5, there is probably no downside compared

the early gameplay trailers make it like FFXV, and the new demo makes it look like a budget FFXV. but i wonder if its because they chose bad looking / simpler region? they may be hasnt got the prettier looking regions properly optimized for ps5.

btw what does the RT were used for? shadows?

tried it, it did not look much better than FFXV to me.

Feels like they spent all their budget on up close details. The trees and enemies are really high poly, look how many bloody flowers we can draw!

But it's a fast paced third person open world action game, you're not going to notice up close detail, the world just kinda looks empty.

Still, the real worst problem is that it looks just plain bloody boring. Sure, in sheer "terms" it's "better" than Tears of the Kingdom, if only by brute force. But I'd still rather look at at Tears of the Kingdom.

Last edited:

The downgrade is very noticeable. Honestly I m tired of initial videos looking better than the final thing

the early gameplay trailers make it like FFXV, and the new demo makes it look like a budget FFXV. but i wonder if its because they chose bad looking / simpler region? they may be hasnt got the prettier looking regions properly optimized for ps5.

btw what does the RT were used for? shadows?
It's still just one part of the map so I do think judging all environments on this one isnt fair. but this one environment is also pretty bland in terms of art direction and fidelity

it's not even on part with that first luminous engine tech demo, Agni Philosophy
Nothing new there ...SE were great at tech demos but that's all they were to show off the engine being pushed in a controlled environment and cutscene done by many people for a few months. Like Capcom with deep down showing off their panta rhei engine that never showed up again.

Back