Folding@Home Guru off to AMD?

Discussion in 'Graphics and Semiconductor Industry' started by satein, Dec 3, 2007.

1. satein

Regular

I understand that this may be not directly relate to the GPGPU technique question, but Fuzd did posted this rather interested news...

Folding@Home Guru off to AMD?

a short quote from his news ...
    So, first Intel acquired Havox and now AMD recuited the GPGPU guy from standford... what will be the next we could expect from the NV?

2. Zaphod

Zaphod Remember
    Veteran

3. satein

Regular

Thank you for kindly pointing me.

Well yes, I knew that. But what if the move was ture... I just want to know what will be the move of the NV:grin:

Edit: Typo...

#3 satein, Dec 3, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2007
  4. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

That's easy too, they'll hire the Baron. Next AMD will hire me for PR, and then I think it's Geo's turn. :yep2:

5. satein

Regular

That sound rather sweet idea, Digi :twisted:

6. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Additionally mhouston is just one member of a team. And one that has been fairly vocal about the progress, goals, etc. from that area.

High visibility will tend to get more noticed.

I'm not so much surprised by this move as I am the fact it's taken this long for ATI to hire someone from the FAH or Brook team.

Then again, maybe both Nvidia and ATI have been hiring people from those staffs and we only noticed the hiring of mhouston because he is so visible.

Regards,
    SB

7. OpenGL guy

Veteran

Mike was working on his Ph.D. so really couldn't have joined earlier.

8. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

I don't think they can afford me. :smile: Besides, I get more enjoyment out of mocking them or tossing bouquets in their direction as my mood and events warrant.

9. BrynS

Regular

Speaking of bouquets, I'm looking forward to this year's B&B with muchos anticipation. :razz:

10. mhouston

mhouston A little of this and that
    Regular

Yep, I started at AMD at the end of November. As was said, I was the GPGPU proponent, but the guys in Vijay's lab did all the real science. Mark and Adam are now handling the GPGPU client work. I also do lots of stuff other than Folding@Home... ;-)

11. Acert93

Acert93 Artist formerly known as Acert93
    Legend

Congrats and good luck Mike!

12. Tim Murray

Tim Murray the Windom Earle of mobile SOCs
    Veteran

Well, an offer to buy you a beer when I'm in town is certainly on the table--I figure I owe you for answering a bunch of my stupid questions over the past year or so :p

13. ShaidarHaran

ShaidarHaran hardware monkey
    Veteran

Congrats Mike! Now tell those bastiches to get to work on an updated FAH GPU folding client with support for GPUs beyond R5x0 ;) :D

14. mhouston

Regular

You know, AMD demoed a completely new science core the Folding@Home guys have been working on as well as a new visualization code done at AMD... The main thing is getting stability tested on HD2000s and HD3000s. As we support more boards, it means we have to deal with more configs as well. For example, we need to see if the low-end boards like the 2400 can run things without causes XP to watchdog the board. (This was why we chose not to support X1300s with the original client.) On Vista, the watchdog is much lower, so we need to figure out what to do there.

15. ShaidarHaran

ShaidarHaran hardware monkey
    Veteran

Thanks for the update Mike. I look forward to the new v6 PC client and an updated GPU client. Hopefully we'll see them soon.

16. satein

Regular

Congrats Mike for the Job and wish you all the great and good luck :D

Also, thank you for the head up on what is going on too.

17. MTd2

Newcomer

Congratulations :)

I have a doubt though... How is the general moral situation at AMD? Are people motivated nowadays?

18. mhouston

Regular

I didn't choose AMD from my various offers on a whim. I'm sure that folks at AMD wish things had gone better over the last year. We shall see how we do next year.

19. MTd2

Newcomer

Sure, I just wanted to know the impression of the atmosphere and mood there, that's not related how you feel confortable or not in your position. But that's alright, this is a public place and you must honor the place where you work, and I'm sure you will give your blood and soul to AMD :).

20. Voltron

Newcomer

A funny thing regarding perceptions of insiders versus outsiders and moral and promise. Some people ask such questions because of investment interest and maybe others just out of general industry curiosity.

Anyhow, there is some conventional wisdom that employees and industry insiders are great and credible sources of info for assessing companies. I personally have been repeatedly amazed by the perceptions of various VERY SMART people about the companies the work for or other companies in the industry they work in. First, many VERY SMART people really don't have really don't have or haven't developed the skills through experience to understand business dynamics and what makes great long-term companies. Second, love is blindness.

Not a personal example, but look at Rahul Sood. Clearly an industry insider who is into investing and into making his opinions publicly known. He couldn't have been more off the mark with some of his industry assessments.